• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Research on Pain Coping Strategies on the Camino

gracekenzie

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2023
Hi all! I am a graduate student in research psychology and am collecting data on pilgrims' pain coping strategies (while also walking the Camino myself!). If you are CURRENTLY walking the Camino, I would appreciate if you could take my survey (linked below). It will only take 5-10 minutes, and your input will help inform the fields of health psychology (pain management) and pilgrimage studies.
https://wakeforest.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ba2cOeNBIPozSsu? Q_CHL=qr

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am posting the survey in online forum groups, as well as asking people I meet along the way to complete the survey.
I skim read your Ethics stuff and so I may have missed it. Is this a Master's level or PhD level research project?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I skim read your Ethics stuff and so I may have missed it. Is this a Master's level or PhD level research project?
No worries - I don’t think I directly mentioned it. This is for my master’s in Research Psychology

Last edited:
No worries - I don’t think I directly mentioned it. This is for my master’s in Research Psychology at Wake Forest University in North Carolina, USA.
Okay, then I can be a bit nicer to you.

Your sampling technique, as described is not mentioned in any of the Research Methods books that I have read. But, with a minor change you can convert it into a recognised sampling method.

If you edit your post on the forum asking for people to complete your questionnaire to say something along the lines of "please also ask your friends who might be interested to fill out this questionnaire and in turn they could please ask their friends".

Then you will have a Snowball sampling technique, look it up in a Research Methods book. Also note what Snowball sampled data can and can not be used for.

In general, Snowball data can be used to form an initial hypothesis but, in general, such data is of no use if you want to prove or disprove anything of worth.

I hope that this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As someone with a Ph.D. in psychology and one who has published numerous studies using survey research methods, I, like @DoughnutANZ, have some serious problems with the methodology you’ve described and specifically with your sampling procedures. As much as I appreciate your very good intentions, your sampling methodology is seriously flawed which surprises me since your Master’s thesis committee must have approved it. The generalized applicability of what you would find is really questionable because of how you are collecting your data. If this data were to be collected differently, then perhaps some of the intentions of this study, as you describe them in your introductory material, might be feasible. However, without serious changes to at this this issue, since I’ve not opened the survey and examined it as there might be issues there as well, I’d be hesitant to encourage you to proceed further. I wouldn’t necessarily discourage the study, but the research design for the information you collect needed to be reassessed.

I also have an advanced degrees and teach graduate students and just want to say that the rest of us should leave your methodology to your chair and committees and either fill out the survey or not without comments on the rest. You will get what you will get and you and your chair will sort that out.

We met a couple yesterday outside of Portomarin who told us about your research and studies. My husband and I told them you should post the survey here so if you get a bunch of flack,, it may be our fault. Best wishes on your research.
Janet and Phil

I also have an advanced degrees and teach graduate students and just want to say that the rest of us should leave your methodology to your chair and committees and either fill out the survey or not without comments on the rest. You will get what you will get and you and your chair will sort that out.

We met a couple yesterday outside of Portomarin who told us about your research and studies. My husband and I told them you should post the survey here so if you get a bunch of flack,, it may be our fault. Best wishes on your research.
Janet and Phil
Agree!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all! I am a graduate student in research psychology and am collecting data on pilgrims' pain coping strategies (while also walking the Camino myself!). If you are CURRENTLY walking the Camino, I would appreciate if you could take my survey (linked below). It will only take 5-10 minutes, and your input will help inform the fields of health psychology (pain management) and pilgrimage studies.
I returned from a Camino 3 weeks ago. But while walking I would not have the nerve and time to answer surveys. I guess it would be similar for many.
But the again I understand you want people who are in the experience right now in order not to let memory bending commence ;-)

Janet and Phil
I also agree with Janet.
I guess us academics have a habit of always knowing better ways for other people to do their research!
Restraining myself here from commenting on the commenters research advice - other than to point out it too maybe has its flaws!! 😊

As I read so many of the responses I feel saddened.
Yes, many people are high level academics but this is a pilgrim forum, not a peer review journal.
May I suggest that we stay in our pilgrim shoes.
Maybe we could either pass silently on the request or help a fellow pilgrim when we are asked.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As I read so many of the responses I feel saddened.
Yes, many people are high level academics but this is a pilgrim forum, not a peer review journal.
May I suggest that we stay in our pilgrim shoes.
Maybe we could either pass silently on the request or help a fellow pilgrim when we are asked.
But the original request serves an academic purpose. Hence those responses are the responses from academics to an academic. The receiving end of those responses is not just a pilgrim, but someone who does some sort of academic research and hence used to debate of this kind. This kind of debate is actually the core of all academic work.

I did enter the survey. Couldn’t get very far in responding. It struck me as a questionnaire in search of a predetermined response “when did you stop beating your wife?”
It seems to me that perceptions of the survey will vary greatly between those in chronic pain, acute pain sometimes, or little pain to speak of.

On my 1993 I had really not that much pain. On the 1994 it was 40K/day and so it was constant ; I slept and woke up in pain throughout the entire body. 2000 to Rome it was more stress and fatigue than pain, though I had a bit of it on some 40K tarmac days. 2005 pain came and went. My more recent ones with the disability, it's a constant companion, on-camino and off.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did enter the survey. Couldn’t get very far in responding. It struck me as a questionnaire in search of a predetermined response “when did you stop beating your wife?”

Hehe. I can't take the survey, as I am not currently walking the Camino. I can promise you, however, that if this were 3 weeks ago so I was still walking, then the automatic assumption that I'm experiencing some pain would certainly not be amiss! I didn't click past the first page, so I don't know if there are any other imprecations about me, but that my feet would be in a bad way I do not dispute!

Also, I'm amused (not surprised) by just how many people on these forums have advanced knowledge of statistics and academic surveying!

OK, I had a look at the questions, though I'm not eligible to complete them.

The survey is what it is. But I was surprised to find many psychological options on pain management, and not much related to "painkillers" (I am very reluctant to use them while walking because I think they risk masking a problem, and I managed not to do so, but some people have to or are less averse), and not much on "stretches / massage / physiotherapy" as there are many such things which may help a lot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got stuck on the ethnicities page. It seems rather US-centric. Where are the Australian Aborigines and the Arabs for example? (and thats just A). Could this question be more inclusive? Good luck with your research as it sounds like an interesting question to investigate.

I think it's a great question, but
I'm sorry, but it seems a rather strange survey.
None of the 'normal' coping strategies seem to be included, such as pain killers, stretching, strapping.......
Pretending it doesn't hurt, or praying for it to stop might not be the strategies of most Pilgrims :rolleyes:

Janet and Phil
Agree very much
Great, how would you describe your sampling technique?
This young man is asking PILGRIMS to fill in a survey. I'm appalled by some responses. It sounds very much "let me tell you what I know." May his thesis committee treat him more kindly. You know, welcome him by saying "interesting topic, what got you interested in this, why the focus on pilgrims, what do you hope to show in your research,. Then ask him HOW he went about it. Good luck with your research.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree very much

This young man is asking PILGRIMS to fill in a survey. I'm appalled by some responses. It sounds very much "let me tell you what I know." May his thesis committee treat him more kindly. You know, welcome him by saying "interesting topic, what got you interested in this, why the focus on pilgrims, what do you hope to show in your research,. Then ask him HOW he went about it. Good luck with your research.
It is NOT the job of a thesis committee to treat someone defending a thesis kindly! It IS the job of a thesis committee to treat the candidate FAIRLY and to grill the person defending their thesis to ensure academic integrity. I read through the questions. Agree with another poster that many of the questions are in the prayer and faith-based, or "pretending the pain does not exist" realms. I was involved in medical research and would concur with others that answering the questions as asked could not lead to any valid conclusions. I think the people seen as being critical on here are simply trying to help steer the OP to redirect their "research" in a direction which would answer a valid question in a valid way. Good luck!

Last edited:
Agree very much

The answers here are all very constructive.
If a student aims for a decent degree he / she should be open for suggestions and improvements.
The goal of any decent study is to broaden the mind.
A first job of a thesis committee is not to be kind , but first of all give scientific and evidence -based etc advice.
Not to say I do not wish the OP all the best with his study and professional life.

It is NOT the job of a thesis committee to treat someone defending a thesis kindly!
I was unaware that Camino forums is a thesis committee ; quite apart from the fact that it's a Masters thesis, not one for a doctorate, so that normal expectations and requirements are correspondingly lower, and it's by no means certain that there even is a thesis committee as such.

As to the Faith-related questions, remember : it's a questionnaire for pilgrims walking a Catholic pilgrimage route -- not a general questionnaire for long-distance hikers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was unaware that Camino forums is a thesis committee ; quite apart from the fact that it's a Masters thesis, not one for a doctorate, so that normal expectations and requirements are correspondingly lower, and it's by no means certain that there even is a thesis committee as such.

As to the Faith-related questions, remember : it's a questionnaire for pilgrims walking a Catholic pilgrimage route -- not a general questionnaire for long-distance hikers.

Even if there is no thesis committee for a Masters then at least there is a prof or lecturer following up the process.
IMO normal ( high ! ) expectations and requirements should be used both for a master and for a doctorate.

You are correct though regarding the main goal of the questionnaire.

I just completed your survey. Missed the part of fill out if currently walking, but I have walked multiple caminos, so I offered a myriad of my coping strategies in my written response. The questions with numerical magnitude choices were very limited as others have stated. There was not much in way of medical and physical treatments one might utilize. I speculate that those physiological pain coping strategies far outweigh psychological and spiritual strategies, although all are important tools.

A Master's thesis might be considered a learning exercise more than a contribution to the body of knowledge. There are many ways to learn, and perhaps starting out with some bad premises can create excellent learning results. For practicality, some assumptions and compromises would be made right at the start, and their effects will be felt and observed through to the end. We are not privy to the assumptions, objectives, and constraints, or the way the results will be analyzed..

Asking people to answer questions in a survey is not the same as inviting them to serve on the thesis committee. I find some of the forum comments to be objectionable, although predictable. Some display a rather unseemly energy in showing off superior knowledge/intelligence.

Feedback could be provided in a more respectful way, if you are really trying to help. This could be a matter for seasoned forum members to contemplate.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even if there is no thesis committee for a Masters then at least there is a prof or lecturer following up the process.
And should not that Professor direct the research in accordance with the individual student rather than with various opinions from this or that individual in this place ?

Notice the OP has dropped out of the discussion? I don’t blame them one bit. The level of academic snobbery displayed here is completely inappropriate and off the charts. Those guilty of such an offense should be ashamed of themselves but I doubt they have the capability.

Rick

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agree very much

"Let me tell you what I know" is the core business of this forum.

The OP probably belongs to the generation with ample experience in social media and is better prepared for any reactions they may get.

Should the answers given not be welcome now, they may still turn out to be useful in the future, or useful for someone else planning a survey.

Have a great camino y'all !

Notice the OP has dropped out of the discussion? I don’t blame them one bit. The level of academic snobbery displayed here is completely inappropriate and off the charts. Those guilty of such an offense should be ashamed of themselves but I doubt they have the capability.

Rick
No, this is not snobbery at all.

Not at all.

Not in the slightest.

I was not one of those commenting on the method used in this survey, as I did not look into it. But it is an academic duty to ask questions and place criticism where it is due.
If someone says 1+1 = 5 then I will stand up and open a debate. If someone uses unsound statistics to prove something, then I will stand up and open a debate as else false information is created and false conclusions will be drawn.
Unlike art and music, science is not about taste. Science is also not dogma. Whoever questions this rejects the whole scientific world and how mankind generates knowledge.
I will not write further ... to avoid letting my anger shine through even more clearly.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that if you put a questionnaire out there it is important and actually necessary to get feedback from the people who might complete it. Obviously you try and do this in the pilot stage and iron out the wrinkles then. But it doesn't always happen that way. Unfortunately academics here are just doing what they so often do - try and impose the superiority of their arguments over each other. And in this case regardless of any collateral damage that may land on th OP. I hope some of you great minds can take the time to PM the OP with constructive feedback drawing on your longstanding professional experience - which is probably incredibly useful - a channel to expertise that would not normally be available to the OP. We can easily turn this from a negative into a positive with your help.

I think some people here need to walk another Camino as lessons learnt from previous pilgrimages seem to have been lost.

This is a student project that at best will be gray literature and not a high-impact Science paper. The whole purpose of a Master programme is to learn how to do research. Yes, critiquing is vital but - please - be kind (not soft but just kind). Some comments here are downright mean. If I ever catch myself react to one of my students like this I know it’s time to take a break from teaching and catch a flight back to Spain.

Supporting students willing to go into academia is one of the biggest tasks currents academics have. Not being demeaning because the first big learning projects has flaws. Point them out, offer constructive criticism but please remember that there is a young person behind the screen that is only just getting started. The delivery of many comments was way off.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
His name is Dr on first page so probably phd level research it’s a questionnaire . It’s a great topic to research .

His name is Dr on first page so probably phd level research it’s a questionnaire . It’s a great topic to research .
That question was answered by the OP, who is a young woman.

No worries - I don’t think I directly mentioned it. This is for my master’s in Research Psychology

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.