• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to check storage capacity on GPS memory card

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ok, I admit it, I am spoiled. I spent about 5 minutes hunting around on the internet to try to answer my own question, but then just decided to be lazy and post here.

I am going to bring a GPS for a couple of off-camino alternatives this year and have just gotten a lot of help installing topological maps of France, Portugal, and newer ones of Spain on the memory card of my Dakota garmin.

The memory card is 16gb. I think I must still have space left, but I am unable to find out how to check for that.

It occurs to me that maybe I have to plug the card into a computer to get a reading, but I am just not sure.

I have a lot of tracks loaded onto that card as well (Chemin d'Arles, Camino Torres, Ruta del Mar, and a few others I don't plan to walk this year), so I could always delete them and then reinstall later. But I would prefer to avoid that.

Any help? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I connect the GPS itself using USB cable. Clearly you have to have one with the right connectors - Garmin tend to use the mini-USB connector, slightly larger than the micro-USB which now seems to be used in most phones.

The alternative is to find someone who has a SD etc card converter. This is a little adapter the same size as a standard SD card into which the smaller card can be plugged. I have one on my desk from Verbatim, but other chip makers will also make them. It is called a micro-SD Adapter.

I connect the GPS itself using USB cable. Clearly you have to have one with the right connectors - Garmin tend to use the mini-USB connector, slightly larger than the micro-USB which now seems to be used in most phones.

The alternative is to find someone who has a SD etc card converter. This is a little adapter the same size as a standard SD card into which the smaller card can be plugged. I have one on my desk from Verbatim, but other chip makers will also make them. It is called a micro-SD Adapter.
Thanks Doug. I have a cable to connect the Garmin to the computer, which is how I get tracks from wikiloc to basecamp to my gps. Would you indulge me some more and tell me what to do once the Garmin is connected? I guess I don't need to apologize for being so dense since you are well aware of my tech levels. :( Muchas gracias, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are using a microSD card then carrying one or both of the gizmos described on this webpage would be useful. Both are small and lightweight. https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/memory-card-readers/mobile-mate-duo-reader-writer

The microSD card is inserted at the bottom of the adapter card and then the adapter is inserted into anything that takes a regular SD card. Likewise the microSD card is inserted into the USB device and then that is used as a flash drive / thumb drive.

My camera takes a regular SD card but my tablet takes only the microSD card. I use the adapter to move pictures back and forth.

Often when you buy a microSD card you get the adapter in the same package.

MobileMateDuo_AdapterReader_hires-retina.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is the process similar to uploading maps to a smartphone? Tx

Hi, Ingrid, I feel foolish even attempting to answer you. But... if you are asking about uploading maps to a GPS, I think there's a difference between loading the big country map and loading a specific "track". I can do the latter by myself, but getting the big topo maps onto the GPS required one helper in Belgium, one in Sweden, and one standing here in Illinois next to me. :p I am very lucky to have such good friends with a lot of patience.

To load specific tracks onto the GPS I need a few steps. First, download the tracks from wikiloc, making sure that the number of points has been compressed to 500 or fewer. Then import the downloaded tracks from my computer into the basecamp program. Then export the tracks in basecamp to my gps. There is a way to go directly from wikiloc to GPS but I tried that a few times and failed, so I went back to my old plodding multi-step routine.

Having never uploaded maps to my smartphone, I can't do the comparison for you, sorry.

This page might be helpful if your model is similar to the one being used. The used/remaining capacity shows up as a long green bar in this example:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

The scre
This page might be helpful if your model is similar to the one being used. The used/remaining capacity shows up as a long green bar in this example:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Hi, bradypus, Thanks for that. I got as far as step one, however. Nothing happens when I right click on my memory card. :mad: Then, I thought I would try to use the "install maps" option to see how much space was left. But I can't get into that process because the computer tells me that all of the maps on basecamp have already been installed on my GPS so there is nothing left to install.

It's never easy when it comes to me and technology. Having absolutely no instincts to fall back on makes it even harder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-01-13 09.00.13.png
    Screenshot 2017-01-13 09.00.13.png
    693.1 KB · Views: 5
:mad:
I don't use the things myself so I've no firsthand knowledge. A hypothetical thought occurs though. If you have any maps installed which you no longer use could you delete them from the handset? Then run through the "install maps" process again. The installer would then have a job to do that might get you past that stop screen. Just a guess. Probably your best bet is to wait for @dougfitz to drop by and scatter a few pearls though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Doug. I have a cable to connect the Garmin to the computer, which is how I get tracks from wikiloc to basecamp to my gps. Would you indulge me some more and tell me what to do once the Garmin is connected? I guess I don't need to apologize for being so dense since you are well aware of my tech levels. :( Muchas gracias, Laurie
Once the GPS is connected, two new drives should appear in File Explorer (or Windows Explorer or MyPC - it seems to change names in different versions of Windows). One of these new drives will be the memory on the device itself, and the other the SD card that is inserted. On my system the Garmin is shown as GARMIN (F: ) where the drive letter will generally be the lowest un-allocated letter of the alphabet other than A or B (reserved for those ancient floppy drives) and G or H (reserved for network drives). The card appears as SD16 (I: ) which is a name that I have given it. I am not sure how this will appear if you haven't named the SD card.

To find the remaining space Alt-click on the drive name or letter, and select 'Properties' from the drop down dialog box that appears. An information box will appear. It has several tabs, but the General tab should be displayed initially, and that has the Used/Free space information.

Last edited:
Once the GPS is connected, two new drives should appear in File Explorer (or Windows Explorer or MyPC - it seems to change names in different versions of Windows). One of these new drives will be the memory on the device itself, and the other the SD card that is inserted. On my system the Garmin is shown as GARMIN (F: ) where the drive letter will generally be the lowest un-allocated letter of the alphabet other than A or B. The card appears as SD16 (I: ) which is a name that I have given it. I am not sure how this will appear if you haven't named the SD card.

To find the remaining space Alt-click on the drive name or letter, and select 'Properties' from the drop down dialog box that appears. An information box will appear. It has several tabs, but the General tab should be displayed initially, and that has the Used/Free space information.

thanks, Doug, I am afraid this is above my pay grade so I will have to wait till next week when my inhouse expert comes by. I tried what you said and got this screen. And my device is definitely connected to the computer because I´ve just transferred a track to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-01-13 09.27.57.png
    Screenshot 2017-01-13 09.27.57.png
    778.5 KB · Views: 10
thanks, Doug, I am afraid this is above my pay grade so I will have to wait till next week when my inhouse expert comes by. I tried what you said and got this screen. And my device is definitely connected to the computer because I´ve just transferred a track to it.
See if there is a list of drives under a heading My PC or This PC further down the screen. The Garmin and SD card should appear there. I am not sure what is appearing under the Quick access list that you appear to be using.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't know about your Garmin GPS, but most devices that use or allow use of SD cards or mini/micro SD cards have a setting in their menu structure called storage or something similar that will show you the capacity of both the internal (built-in) memory and external (plug-in chip) memory both as the total capacity and the amount of that memory being used. Otherwise, the other suggestions of checking it on a computer by inserting the card directly into a slot on the computer (with or without and adapter where necessary) or by connecting the device to the computer using a USB cable are your best bet.

Ok, I admit it, I am spoiled. I spent about 5 minutes hunting around on the internet to try to answer my own question, but then just decided to be lazy and post here.

I am going to bring a GPS for a couple of off-camino alternatives this year and have just gotten a lot of help installing topological maps of France, Portugal, and newer ones of Spain on the memory card of my Dakota garmin.

The memory card is 16gb. I think I must still have space left, but I am unable to find out how to check for that.

It occurs to me that maybe I have to plug the card into a computer to get a reading, but I am just not sure.

I have a lot of tracks loaded onto that card as well (Chemin d'Arles, Camino Torres, Ruta del Mar, and a few others I don't plan to walk this year), so I could always delete them and then reinstall later. But I would prefer to avoid that.

Any help? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, plug the USB into your comp, right click and look for 'Info' then CL click on that. It will tell you what you've used and what space is available, either in GB or MB.

See if there is a list of drives under a heading My PC or This PC further down the screen. The Garmin and SD card should appear there. I am not sure what is appearing under the Quick access list that you appear to be using.

Now I get a different screen when I go to This PC and still no luck. No clicking possible. :( OK, I think I´ve abused your kindness enough, I'll leave it till I find someone here who can help me. Thanks, everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-01-13 14.24.13.png
    Screenshot 2017-01-13 14.24.13.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 4
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie, plug the USB into your comp, right click and look for 'Info' then CL click on that. It will tell you what you've used and what space is available, either in GB or MB.

Hi, Maggie, I was unable to right click -- what do you right click on? The Garmin is connected to a USB port on my computer. Good thing I have a pretty tough skin when it comes to my pitiful computer capabilities, otherwise I'd be a puddle of low self-esteem on the floor. :)

I don't know about your Garmin GPS, but most devices that use or allow use of SD cards or mini/micro SD cards have a setting in their menu structure called storage or something similar that will show you the capacity of both the internal (built-in) memory and external (plug-in chip) memory both as the total capacity and the amount of that memory being used. Otherwise, the other suggestions of checking it on a computer by inserting the card directly into a slot on the computer (with or without and adapter where necessary) or by connecting the device to the computer using a USB cable are your best bet.

That was my first inclination, but there is no setting similar to "settings" on my iphone. The closest is "setup" but that just has settings for the GPS features (like telling it what kind of battery you are using, how much backlight you want, etc.) Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will conquer this at some point, but probably not till my computer friend arrives to save me next week!

Oh dear, I keep forgetting I'm once of those oldies who, even though I graduated to a Smartphone before my first walk, I do 90% of my work from an iMac desktop. Yep...it actually sits on my desk. It has a mouse and everything:>). I'm not making light of your dilemma Laurie, I'm just dating and chiding myself a bit here. I do hope by now others, more advanced than I, have helped you solve this. Maggie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...
Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
I’ve been in Le Puy en Valey less than 5 hours and have seen dozens of hikers with dogs.. I think it’s great but .. every book I read says it an “absolute NO” at any of the places to stay. Just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.