• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to create a Garmin GPS route from many waypoints?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I have downloaded a route for the Via Francigena (VF), but the GPX file is in the form of a very large number of waypoints. When imported into my Garmin GPS unit, it shows up as just a very large list of waypoints, and does not show as a route on the Garmin base map.

To create the VF route in the Garmin waypoint by waypoint would be a very timeconsuming exercise.

If I import the GPX file into Garmin BaseCamp software on my PC, it does show as a route on the base map in BaseCamp, but I can't then import the route into the Garmin.

There must be a way to autogenerate a route for the Garmin from a GPX file of waypoints.

GPS navigation is very new to me, so presumably there is something obvious I am missing.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Bob M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bob is right,, waypoints are not nearly as useful as a track. I have a nice track in various formats I linked up from an Italian website. Ivar and I are talking about a forum topic just for this sort of file sharing.

Since that is still in the planning phase, anyone who needs it can just send me your email in a PM and I'll send it it to you. Let me know if you have google earth and mapsource and are familiar with them.

Bob---did the file I sent come out as a a bunch of points on your unit? Or it won't go in at all? What unit did you get? Are you running basecamp because you have a Mac?

newfydog said:
Ivar and I are talking about a forum topic just for this sort of file sharing.

Bob---did the file I sent come out as a a bunch of points on your unit? Or it won't go in at all? What unit did you get? Are you running basecamp because you have a Mac?

The forum for GPS is a great idea.

I copied Christa's GPX file to the Garmin Montana, and when I looked at the saved Tracks, it shows up as two routes (or tracks?): Canterbury - Besancon, and Besancon - Rome. I can follow them on the base map in the Montana (I have not bought a France map yet). That is all excellent.

But when I downloaded Paul Chinn's VF GPX file from his website into the Montana, it just showed up as thousands of waypoints. Paul confirmed in an email that his GPX file is a list of waypoints, not a track.

So presumably GPX files can be either tracks or waypoints. I am still in the foothills of my learning curve.

Anyway, I downloaded the free BaseCamp app for my PC (not Mac) in the hope it would be able to convert a list of waypoints into a route or track. No such luck.

At that point I was (still am) stumped.

After choking on the price, I bought the Garmin Montana for two reasons: (1) It has a camera that geotaggs photos. I don't have to take a separate camera, saving 300gm - the weight of the Montana & batteries; (2) the screen is larger than other Garmin unit screens.

Regards

Bob M

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I attended the local council meeting last month; one topic that came up was potholes in the tarmac, the chairman pointed out that he could pin-point accurately potholes (gps-ly) & would supply the plots to the council. Well a month later we have no-pot-holes :D

So could this help to locate bad spots for rubbish to be picked-up/delt with :!:
I appreciate this sounds pretty obvious but so do pot-holes in the tarmac.
A photo with a gps focuses the problem, & maybe just maybe disappears as quick as our poti-holes :)

What do others think?

Sounds like you are doing things right. Christina supplies a full tracklog of her walk on the Italian website, while for the Lightfoot guide, Paul Chin posts individual waypoints which correspond to the instructions in the guidebook.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.