• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get a Compostela on behalf of someone else?

Tigger

🤔
Time of past OR future Camino
TBA
I think I’ve got five which, surely, is sufficient. If I collect one in March it will be on behalf of someone else.
Not to stray from the topic... but could we please for a moment for a newbie question....

I have seen comments on collecting a Compostela on behalf of someone else before. There doesn't seem to be a thread on the topic. Are two names placed on the doc or do you just give them a different name to print on it at the end? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not to stray from the topic... but could we please for a moment for a newbie question....

I have seen comments on collecting a Compostela on behalf of someone else before. There doesn't seem to be a thread on the topic. Are two names placed on the doc or do you just give them a different name to print on it at the end? Thanks!
There actually are a number of threads that discuss this. Here's a recent one:

Yep, I read that thread. Very sad. My question was about the correct way to do it. People say they have done this. Some say they carry an extra passport to have stamped.... 🤔. Others note they have collected 'their Compostela' on behalf of another which seems a bit more logical, but not how they did it. If you can point to a thread that answers my question I would much appreciate it.

Hi, @Tigger, I actually did this last month, so I hope my answer is helpful. I found the process to be quite simple, and the Pilgrim’s Office knew exactly what I meant when I asked for a Compostela “in memory of” someone else. Firstly, there’s no need for an extra credencial unless you’d like a separate Compostela, in which case I’m sure you’d be able to accomplish your goal.

When I arrived at the Pilgrim’s Office, I asked for a Compostela “in memory of” a loved one, and the security guard who checked me in asked me to repeat my query at the desk. Since it’s all digital now, my Compostela was already printed with my Latin name when I arrived to the desk. I asked again, and they had me write my loved one’s name for them, and they added in handwriting at the bottom “Pro vicare … [loved one’s name].” Of note, they would not accept only a first name, nickname, etc. but it could have just been that volunteer.

I think had I entered my loved one’s name in the computer when I checked in it would have said only their name, but to me, it was a new system, and was enough to just have their name written at the bottom. I hope this helps!

I walked the Camino del Norte and carried my brothers Ashes from Irun to Finisterre where I placed them in the sea. When I got my Compostela in Santiago, I got one for distance with my name on and the other one with my brothers name on. When I arrived in Finisterre I got a certificate there with my brothers name on, but my name was recorded on their register. I have done the same many times over the years, one certificate for myself and one for a loved one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, @Tigger, I actually did this last month, so I hope my answer is helpful. I found the process to be quite simple, and the Pilgrim’s Office knew exactly what I meant when I asked for a Compostela “in memory of” someone else. Firstly, there’s no need for an extra credencial unless you’d like a separate Compostela, in which case I’m sure you’d be able to accomplish your goal.

When I arrived at the Pilgrim’s Office, I asked for a Compostela “in memory of” a loved one, and the security guard who checked me in asked me to repeat my query at the desk. Since it’s all digital now, my Compostela was already printed with my Latin name when I arrived to the desk. I asked again, and they had me write my loved one’s name for them, and they added in handwriting at the bottom “Pro vicare … [loved one’s name].” Of note, they would not accept only a first name, nickname, etc. but it could have just been that volunteer.

I think had I entered my loved one’s name in the computer when I checked in it would have said only their name, but to me, it was a new system, and was enough to just have their name written at the bottom. I hope this helps!
When you arrived, to find that your Compostela was already completed, could you tell me if your name was written by hand, in ink? Or was it apparently laser printed using a decorative font that may have looked like handwriting or calligraphy?

I am curious. As a long-time volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, I had been advocating for at least five years, for both advance data collection via the internet, and then using that data to prepare Compostelas in advance of the pilgrim’s arrival.

COVID created a perfect storm and a need for the advance data collection. So, it happened.

I continued to suggest / recommend that they finish the process by using two printers: one for Compostelas; and the other for distance certificates to cut the waiting time to nil.

I am wondering if they actually implemented the laser printing idea to improve customer service?

Can you expound a little further?

Thank you,

Tom

When you arrived, to find that your Compostela was already completed, could you tell me if your name was written by hand, in ink? Or was it apparently laser printed using a decorative font that may have looked like handwriting or calligraphy?

I am curious. As a long-time volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, I had been advocating for at least five years, for both advance data collection via the internet, and then using that data to prepare Compostelas in advance of the pilgrim’s arrival.

COVID created a perfect storm and a need for the advance data collection. So, it happened.

I continued to suggest / recommend that they finish the process by using two printers: one for Compostelas; and the other for distance certificates to cut the waiting time to nil.

I am wondering if they actually implemented the laser printing idea to improve customer service?

Can you expound a little further?

Thank you,

Tom
Tom, it was printed in a nice computer font that looked like calligraphy. I’m not sure if they used two different printers, one for each type of certificate. If I remember correctly in my post-arrival haze, I filled out an online form at the Pilgrim’s Office atrium and was handed a ticket. When it was my time to head to the counter, I handed them the ticket and they printed my Compostela there. It was then they asked if I wanted a distance certificate, and it was also printed separately.

There’s also a new website you can use to register a whole group (or just yourself) before your arrival. I had filled out this form ahead of time, but since there was no wait at the office in January, they didn’t ask if I’d done it, and had me fill it out again on their computer in the atrium. I am curious, though, if those numbers count toward the daily count, or if only printed “transactions” do. Either way, it was incredibly efficient and seemed like it will afford the Pilgrim’s Office to manage the crowds during busy months, especially since they don’t need to write each name individually.

I am walking the Camino in May for my daughter. On one of the threads it was mentioned that I could have my name along with the name of my daughter added, In Memory Of. Just inform them before ther start to fill it out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tom, it was printed in a nice computer font that looked like calligraphy. I’m not sure if they used two different printers, one for each type of certificate. If I remember correctly in my post-arrival haze, I filled out an online form at the Pilgrim’s Office atrium and was handed a ticket. When it was my time to head to the counter, I handed them the ticket and they printed my Compostela there. It was then they asked if I wanted a distance certificate, and it was also printed separately.

There’s also a new website you can use to register a whole group (or just yourself) before your arrival. I had filled out this form ahead of time, but since there was no wait at the office in January, they didn’t ask if I’d done it, and had me fill it out again on their computer in the atrium. I am curious, though, if those numbers count toward the daily count, or if only printed “transactions” do. Either way, it was incredibly efficient and seemed like it will afford the Pilgrim’s Office to manage the crowds during busy months, especially since they don’t need to write each name individually.
Gee, I just love it when a plan comes together. Can't wait until I am working there again this July. I want to see how the overall process has been modified to include this accelerated issuance process.

I do not care who gets credit for it. The entire idea was to cope with a huge surge of arriving pilgrims during the 2021 - 2022 Holy Year. So, I gave several suggestions.several years ago. Accepting data in advance, online was a huge step forward. Combining that process with the laser printers could reduce the contact time at the counter to about one minute if everything worked well.

Last summer, I did some informal time studies while I was working at the Pilgrim Office. I found that advance submission of data online, reduced contact time from the pre-COVID days of 6 - 10 minutes per pilgrim, when everything was done by hand at the counter, to perhaps three minutes - absent any complicating factors.

If advance printing of Compostelas and Distance Certificates is truly integrated and made part of the main work flow process, I believe we can get the average time down to less than two minutes, per pilgrim. That is HUGE.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the information.

Tom

There’s also a new website you can use to register a whole group (or just yourself)
Ah, the wonders of technology. Everyone must now fit in a box and there is only one box for a first name and one for a last name.

@t2andreo stated in another Thread, "...in the case of a deceased person, the pilgrim standing there is advised of the ability to dedicate your Compostela to the memory of a deceased person. We add “In Vicare Pro name, last name” to the bottom of the Compostela. This means “in place of” in Latin."

There seems to be no mention nor box for the additional info on the form. Hopefully the haste to process pilgrims quickly will not result in a change here. It seems such a wonderful idea.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2C70DABB-ABA8-4A91-9B63-23FE93976E60.jpegI’ve attached mine I just asked them to add a “Vicarie pro” to my compostela as you can see your name is filled in and then the person you are walking for is added below

Ah, the wonders of technology. Everyone must now fit in a box and there is only one box for a first name and one for a last name.

@t2andreo stated in another Thread, "...in the case of a deceased person, the pilgrim standing there is advised of the ability to dedicate your Compostela to the memory of a deceased person. We add “In Vicare Pro name, last name” to the bottom of the Compostela. This means “in place of” in Latin."

There seems to be no mention nor box for the additional info on the form. Hopefully the haste to process pilgrims quickly will not result in a change here. It seems such a wonderful idea.
There is not a place on the form, as it must be requested.

On a daily basis, during the heaviest arrival days in July and August, the staff may only get a handful of requests from the thousands of arriving Pilgrims.

I agree that this is a wonderful idea. It has existed - like forever - insofar as I know. When I encounter any pilgrim, anywhere, who mentions a deceased family member, loved one, or even a friend or colleague, I always explain this option to them. You can do the same with any pilgrim, or intending pilgrim, you encounter, even at home.

Staff and volunteers at the Pilgrim Office will also mention this to waiting pilgrims who mention a qualifying circumstance. I do it all the time when I am there. I will even explain this to people who have arrived at Santiago, but have not yet made their way to the office. it also features in at least one of the 56 (?) short stories in my 2020 book, "Finding Santiago."

To clarify, the addition of another person's name to the bottom of a Compostela is intended to share whatever spiritual benefit may attend from completing a Camino and receiving the Compostela. It is intended for the benefit of a deceased person, OR a person, whose advanced age or illnesses clearly precludes the possibility of doing a Camino of any duration personally.

I have dedicated my Compostela on several occasions to deceased family members. I know people who have done this for loved ones and friends. It is a lovely gesture, especially if presented to the added person's family. Some families will frame this certificate and hang it in a place of pride in their home. In this event, you can request also issuance of a second Compostela - solely to you - and without the added name at the bottom.

Again, I suspect one of the reasons this is not widely advertised is that the Compostela is presently free, if you qualify. Adding a name - "in Vicare Pro" or doing a second Compostela, adds time to the process.

This might not be an issue in the winter months. But, once the "pilgrimage season" starts, at Easter Time, things get very busy, very fast and last through October.

I hope this helps.

Tom

I walked the Camino del Norte and carried my brothers Ashes from Irun to Finisterre where I placed them in the sea. When I got my Compostela in Santiago, I got one for distance with my name on and the other one with my brothers name on. When I arrived in Finisterre I got a certificate there with my brothers name on, but my name was recorded on their register. I have done the same many times over the years, one certificate for myself and one for a loved one.
Do I understand you correctly, Peter? You received a separate Compostela solely in your deceased brother’s name?

Yes, I got my Compostela in my name and asked for a Certificate of Distance in my brothers name.
I booked on line to the office two days out from Santiago, when I arrived I showed the alphanumeric to the security person who directed me down stairs where I was given a number for the queue. I was in and out in less than half an hour. The name on both certificates is hand written.
In previous years I done the same with the certificates.
At Finisterre the lady was good, she put my name in their register and my brothers name on the certificate.
It was special for me as he is my young brother. Hope you can see it in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 20230217_154816.jpg
    20230217_154816.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230217_154833.jpg
    20230217_154833.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Yep, I read that thread. Very sad. My question was about the correct way to do it. People say they have done this. Some say they carry an extra passport to have stamped.... 🤔. Others note they have collected 'their Compostela' on behalf of another which seems a bit more logical, but not how they did it. If you can point to a thread that answers my question I would much appreciate it.
When you get your Compostela, they will not give you two, or put another name on it, but will put on it "Walked on behalf of........." or words to that effect. You just tell them in the pilgrim office in Santiago when you are getting it. We did it last summer for a relative.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The phrase "In Vicare Pro" is colloquial Latin for "In place of." The Latin word "Vicare" is the root for the English word "vicarious."

Taken together in context, the phrase, combined with the rest of the Compostela, means that the named pilgrim completed this pilgrimage in place of, or on behalf of, the person named at the bottom of the Compostela.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.