• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Get There??

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Second post for this newbie to the forum.
Planning my Camino from St Jean in Spring of 2017.

I live in Michigan and from my reading this far, it appears the best methods of getting there would to be to fly from here to either Madrid or Barcelona and then utilize trains, busses and taxi to finish the journey.

Am I missing any other better options? The transportation will be my largest cost, so open to ideas that might save a few dollars.

Thanks to all.

Jeff

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St Jean Pied de Port is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train and by CONDA bus from Pamplona.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz BIQ. Biarritz is connected to many major European centers.

Santiago has an airport too.

So one possible plan would be fly to London (Heathrow) then discount airline from London (Gatwick) to Biarritz. When the camino is over fly discount airline from Santiago to London (Stansted). Note you'd have to connect the London airports by bus or train.

There are endless similar permutations using Madrid,
Barcelona, Lisbon, Dublin, London, Paris ... just to name a few.

Madrid or Barcelona are probably good choices.

We can give greater detail on connecting to SJPdP once you decide how you will invade Europe.

My cheapest option was to fly to madrid. You can get to pamplona from madrid with bus or train. And from pamplona to SJPDP with bus from pamplona busstation. The renfe train takes about 3 hours from madrid to pamplona and leaves from Atocha railway station in madrid. You could also take the bus from the airport to pamplona The bus has drives several times to pamplona a day and takes around 5-6 hours. Both train and bus costs around 30 euros. You can get more information here: bus https://www.alsa.es/en/home train: http://www.renfe.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Compare the cost of getting a return ticket to Madrid with the cost of an open-jaw ticket outbound to Biarritz; inbound from Santiago de Compostela. Another open-jaw ticket you may research is outbound to Biarritz; inbound from A Coruña (for this one take a look at the web of British Airways for fares).

If you finally get a return ticket to Madrid, overland transport to SJPP and from Santiago de Compostela shouldn't be a problem.

If you decide to build a flight route using separate tickets/bookings (e.g.: one to London plus another one separately booked with another airline from London to Biarritz), be sure to allow yourself enough time between flights because if you miss your second flight due to a late arrival (or a cancelation) of your first flight, you'll have to look for alternatives on the spot, at your own expenses and it won't be cheap.

Jeff
It was cheapest for us to fly to Paris and return from there too. We live in the Pacific Northwest and can fly Icelandair out of Seattle. Not sure where else they fly from. The flights for us into Madrid were not very convenient time-wise. I would look at cost and also arrival times. Kayak travel site will give you a good idea of what is available from and to various cities.
Janet

I live near SJPdP in Biarritz and travel from Ft. Myers, Florida several times a year. I have found flights to Spain, specifically Bilbao, are less expensive than flights to France. I always compare Bordeaux to Bilbao before I book. Both cities are about two hours from Biarritz via public transport and from there it is an easy connection to SJPdP. Obviously arrival times make a big difference in making these connection and in some case may require an overnight stay.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jeff,
It is may be difficult to know costs and times this far out from your journey. You may have to wait until winter for the actual flights and costs to open up depending on the carrier. I booked on Icelandair back in August 2015 for our May 2016 trip, but other carriers did not have their bookings open that far out in the fall.
Janet

Second post for this newbie to the forum.
Planning my Camino from St Jean in Spring of 2017.

I live in Michigan and from my reading this far, it appears the best methods of getting there would to be to fly from here to either Madrid or Barcelona and then utilize trains, busses and taxi to finish the journey.

Am I missing any other better options? The transportation will be my largest cost, so open to ideas that might save a few dollars.

Thanks to all.

Jeff
Bilbao. Air Berlin

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back