• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to send luggage forward to Santiago ?

Peace of Space

Time of past OR future Camino
September 22 2017
Hi , I posted last week about getting a bus/train to Spain to start our Camino 200kms back at Ponferrada. We still haven't gotten that finalized but have good info to figure out.
Now I'm looking for the best way to send forward our luggage forward ( not back packs ) to collect when we're finished the Camino in Santiago . We fly into Porto at 2 pm on Sept 21st ( presently sitting in the Toronto airport waiting for our flight :)
Our first choice would be to leave luggage in Porto since we are returning to the area after our Camino to vacation for two weeks in southern Portugal ...counter balance all that spiritual growth :) If anyone knows how / where luggage could be kept safe and sound in Porto that would be awesome if not it would be great to know the details about sending foward to Santiago .
Thank you ,
So excited to get these travel details done so we can start putting one foot ahead of the other!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All of the shipping services, such as Jacotrans (Xacotrans), Taxi Belorado, Correos (Postal Service) all seem to be great. However, we shipped a parcel from Portomarin to Ivar's office and it got delivered to some bar across town because Ivars was closed. Took us several days to locate it with the help of our host in Portomarin. Next time, I will ship to Santiago using Correos. They will hold at the Santiago Post Office for 15 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Porto, I recommend trying Tuitrans. Also, I recommend AVOIDING the Portuguese postal service (CTT). While convenient, I have found their service to be inconsistent. I believe that Ivar shares this sentiment. Here is Tuitrans web site:

http://tuitrans.com/?lang=en

While Tuitrans does usually handle mochila transport from one night's stay to another, they also handle transportation of luggage and mochilas all the way to Santiago.

Also, while sending stuff to Ivar is usually iron-clad and rock-solid. I sometimes send larger items directly to the hotel I have pre-booked at Santiago. What! You have not pre-booked lodging at Santiago? You better, just to be sure. This is especially true if arriving on a Friday or Saturday. Santiago is becoming a larger magnet for tourists.

Then, contact this property via e-mail and ask them if you can have a piece of luggage delivered ahead of your arrival. Tell them you are walking from Porto. They know it takes 10 days (+/). They know your item(s) will show up about one week before you do.

I hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I asked the hotel we stayed at last and they are keeping in storage there for free:) until we return , just needed to book another night with them upon our return.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back