• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Volunteer in SdC?

dottieperk1955

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I am an American peregrino interested in volunteering for 2 weeks at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela during 2025. I have completed the Camino Frances (2019), Camino Finisterre (2023) and about half of the Camino del Norte (2023). I speak Spanish, German, a little French and Italian. Any recommendations on how to get to the application process?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
This is how I applied last year. Keep in mind that every email I received back ended up going to my spam folder so make sure you check there too for any responses.
I have a few questions too! :)
  • It says a CV is needed, I presume it has to be in Spanish, right?
  • I have only one for work in English, but I speak Spanish too, should I translate that? I don't think it's that relevant for this, but curious.

• I have only one for work in English, but I speak Spanish too, should I translate that? I don't think it's that relevant for this, but curious.
It does not need to be in Spanish. The fact that you do speak Spanish will be very helpful. I unfortunately do not speak Spanish but they took me anyway! 😀

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The CV has to be about your Camino experiences .And of course about yourself.Anyway not about your work.
And speaking Spanish is an advantage however there will be lots of non speaking Spanish pilgrims showing up at your counter.

I speak next to Dutch also English, German Spanish and Portuguese .
They like multilingual volunteers.
I remember from my first voluntary job in 2022 that I sent my CV in Portuguese as all Galegos speak almost the same language. I got a nice letter back in Castillano ( Spanish from Spain)

Last edited:
It looks like this is a different organisation what has nothing to do with volunteering at the Pilgrims Office
American Pilgrims has links for contacting the Pilgrim’s Office, as well as other opportunities to volunteer in Spain. They’re a great organization for helping pilgrims prepare for a Camino as well as assisting with returning from the Camino. Sixty local chapters and connections across Spain, France and Portugal. Their grants program has awarded $800,000+ to better the infrastructure along the Camino for all pilgrims, including waymarking and in albergues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am considering volunteering in the Pilgrim's Office too. My biggest worry is becoming a bureaucrat: having to deny a Compostela to a pilgrim that walked 1000+ km, but didn't know about the 2-stamps-a-day rule on the last 100 km. Any experiences with that? Is there any room for leniency?

I am considering volunteering in the Pilgrim's Office too. My biggest worry is becoming a bureaucrat: having to deny a Compostela to a pilgrim that walked 1000+ km, but didn't know about the 2-stamps-a-day rule on the last 100 km. Any experiences with that? Is there any room for leniency?

Of course there is..
Generally, if the pilgrim is honest and straight up, as most are.. they are treated with respect and compassion. If they are a blatant liar and taking the piss, they are likely to be treated less favourably, as in all walks of life! But as a new volunteer, you'd be guided and helped by experienced staff anyway, and so needn't feel anxious about making awkward decisions to begin with.

.. and I think you would find it a rewarding experience, with so much experience as a pilgrim behind you, you'd be a great asset! I went to suggest it in your jaded pilgrim thread, but others got there before me. I've been mixing most of my walking with volunteering these past five or six years, both at home and in Spain and I find it gives me new energy and enthusiasm, both for walking and giving back.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is really no room for debate or confusion on the required 2 stamps on the last 100 kms. Particularly with the presence of regular permanent staff right next to you. However, if someone walked over 1000 kms but missed one or two stamps on the last 100 kms, then objectivity comes into play. But if someone walked say, from SJPdP up to Leon, or Astorga, then just quit, then the decision is obvious. However, most if not all, know the minimum required stamps to qualify for a Compostela. Ultreia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I completed the application form about 1 month ago offering myself as a volunteer anytime January-April 2025 and am patiently awaiting a reply.

Where did you apply? Through American Pilgrims on the Camino or directly to this link at Santiago de Compostela? ACC | Acogida Cristiana en los Caminos de Santiago

I completed the 2024 volunteer application as there wasn’t a 2025 up yet.

I completed the application form about 1 month ago offering myself as a volunteer anytime January-April 2025 and am patiently awaiting a reply.
There's not really any demand for volunteers between late October and early April, even some of the permanent staff are off.

There's not really any demand for volunteers between late October and early April, even some of the permanent staff are off.
My caminos usually end in Santiago in November and I’ve met quite a few volunteers at breakfast in the San Martin Pinario Seminary so
hoping they might need a polyglot in the dreary winter months.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You can apply in the beginning of January 2025 and this is my experience so far , they react end of January /beginning of February
I remember sharing breakfast with you at San Martin Pinario and hearing your experience volunteering at the pilgrims office. 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hi .. idly thinking and was wondering what sort of restrictions (personal lifestyle/ethics choices) you may drop when on Camino. Par ex: I rarely ever drink coffee - too much caffeine for me .. a...
Been binging on Rob's Camino YouTube page in prep for my own trek and he oftentimes says something along the lines of "For those who want to get their passport stamped..." which led me to wonder...
Please share your stories of Camino miracles that you experienced. I’ll be there this Fall and those stories get me motivated!❤️ Thank you Deenise
Just idle tboughts Wondering if in France and other surrounding countries that if there is an english barrier-s but not Spanish? Guessing the closer you get the better the outlook on that?
I belive to get the compostela one needs to have walked the last 100km and got two stamps per day. When was this rule introduced and was it controversial? Also, if someone has walked from St Jean...
Hello! My mom and I will be walking the Norte in September/October. I'd like to start a small blog to catalog our journey, and for our family back home to keep up with where we are/what we're...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.