Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to walk short stages on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
I've been going back and forth on email with a pilgrim interested in walking the Invierno but not interested in 40 km stages, and we've come up with a tentative plan.

Distances are VERY approximate (I will be getting better calculations as I work on the guide revisions), but I think these stages make the Invierno days comparable to "average" days on the Francés. Private accommodation will be necessary, but those of us who have walked have found that it prices are very reasonable.

Just throwing this out there for people who are starting to be tempted by this beautiful walk! Buen camino, Laurie

Day 1 -- Ponferrada to Borrenes (23). This day will bring you past the amazing Castillo de Cornatel, which you may be lucky enough to visit if opening hours coincide with your arrival (they have been reduced because of budget cuts). Marisol has lodging.

Day 2 -- Borrenes to Puente de Domingo Flórez (15). As Médulas is in the middle of this day, 6 from Borrenes and 9 from Puente. Well worth a many hour visit. If you're really not rushed for time, stay here and spend the whole afternoon at As Médulas, there is plenty to see.

Day 3 -- Puente to Barco de Valdeorras (17)

Day 4 -- Barco to A Rua (14)

Day 5 -- A Rua to Montefurado (10) and you can take the train back to A Rúa, then the next day train back to Montefurado (depending on schedules, you could also train ahead to Quiroga and then train back to Montefurado) (yet another option would be to combine days 4 and 5, and go back to A Rua for the evening so as not to miss Casa Asún.

Day 6 Montefurado to Quiroga (16) (Having given this option to split A Rúa to Quiroga, though, I think that the A Rúa to Quiroga is very do-able day for most pilgrims. There's an ascent at the end of the day up to the castle, and there is a bit of a slog into Quiroga through suburbs, but all in all an amazing day with good rest stops).

Day 7 Quiroga to Puebla de Brollón (24) Hostal As Viñas is very pilgrim friendly.

Day 8 Puebla de Brollón to one of four options, all of which make for a mid-20s day. Castrotañe, Torre Vilariño, Rectoral, Casa Santo Estevo. This option means that you don't spend a night in Monforte de Lemos, which is a nice place and has a fair amount to see and do. Monforte is about 10 km from Puebla, so it would be a very short day.

Day 9 Casa Rural to Chantada (about 15 or 16). This day is one to really savor -- first stop, romanesque beauty of a church at Diomondi, then the lovely (though hard on the knees) descent to the Miño River, then back up the other side through vineyards to Chantada. Absolutely a five star walk.

Day 10 Chantada to Rodeiro 26 km

Day 11 Rodeiro to Lalín 22

Day 12 Lalín to Silleda 15

Day 14 Silleda to Ponte Ulla 23

Day 15 Ponte Ulla to Santiago 19 or 20 I would estimate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just trying to get some of the RENFE information for those who might want to take a train to or from Montefurado. I got the idea from @Luka, and was able to confirm that there is a daily R.Express No. 12601 train that leaves A Rúa at 10:03, stops in Montefurado at 10:12, and arrives in Quiroga at 10:37. Doesn't run on Sundays. But what I can't find is information about the return trip (I'll assume there's just one trip a day). Maybe @Castilian, @whariwharangi or @falcon269 can come to the rescue.

The return train departs from San Clodio-Quiroga at 17:55 and from Montefurado at 18:08 arriving to A Rúa-Petín at 18:17. It runs daily. That's nowadays info. Anyone interested in taking the train must verify if it remains valid on his or her travel date because schedules might change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never done it, what would be the least expensive and best way to get from Santiago to Pamplona... train?

I can look it up - just wondered if anyone had done it.
Train looks ok - 8 hours and not too much... hmmmm This route looks interesting.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having never done it, what would be the least expensive and best way to get from Santiago to Pamplona... train?

Train is direct, daily and quicker than bus. By bus you would need to change along the route. I'm not sure if there's a seasonal direct bus once a week in summer but even if there was one and it suited your Schedule, it'll probably be slowler than the train.

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back