A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Hungarian Walk of Friendship & EPW

Camino Badges

OnCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013-2015)
Le Puy Route (2016-2019)
Hungarian Walk of Friendship (2019)
A quick update from me as far as I am able to advise - it would be appreciated if someone with a better understanding could add details!

My wife and I recently completed the Hungarian Walk of Friendship, which runs from Sopron to Lenti in Hungary, criss-crossing the Hungary-Austria border. This route used to be part of the EPW until the EPW was re-routed (sometime in the last year, I think). I'm not sure where the EPW walk now begins - perhaps someone could advise?

With the EPW now missing out the Sopron to Lenti stretch, that section has now been re-branded by the accommodation providers and other interested parties as the HWF. It operates in the same way as the EPW, ie: with limited numbers and pre-arranged stops each night, and the organisers can be contacted via the HWF website or Facebook page.

It would be good if anyone with more info could add anything.

Just to say, we really enjoyed the walk. It is quite peaceful, rural and in a way remote, and pretty quiet - we were the only two on our schedule when we walked. We saw little to be concerned about in terms of personal safety, so don't be put off if you have concerns - give it a go!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Sooooo jealous! Wanted to do the EPW this year but plans changed. Perhaps I need to consider the HPW prior to the EPW?

I know they adjust the route annually based on prior comments, so next year’s will likely be a bit different too.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. Next: Gd St Bernard to Rome
I walked through Hungary and it is such a fantastic memory! Beautiful country, enchanting people and the food....oh.... 😎😎😎

OnCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy Route (2016-2019)
Sooooo jealous! Wanted to do the EPW this year but plans changed. Perhaps I need to consider the HPW prior to the EPW?

I know they adjust the route annually based on prior comments, so next year’s will likely be a bit different too.
I think it would be worth considering at least- - it's a lovely walk, some long days but not too taxing, with a good dollop of iron curtain history, plenty of wildlife and some simple-but-great overnight stops.

Some other walkers that came after us went on to do the EPW afterwards. However, I'm not sure if the endpoint of the HWF, Lenti, is the actual start of the EPW.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid

OnCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy Route (2016-2019)
Thanks Kiwi-family. As I suspected, this year the start seems to be in Lenti, with visits to Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna done beforehand and not included as part of the walk.

AllanHG

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France 2015
Camino Portuguese 2017
A quick update from me as far as I am able to advise - it would be appreciated if someone with a better understanding could add details!

My wife and I recently completed the Hungarian Walk of Friendship, which runs from Sopron to Lenti in Hungary, criss-crossing the Hungary-Austria border. This route used to be part of the EPW until the EPW was re-routed (sometime in the last year, I think). I'm not sure where the EPW walk now begins - perhaps someone could advise?

With the EPW now missing out the Sopron to Lenti stretch, that section has now been re-branded by the accommodation providers and other interested parties as the HWF. It operates in the same way as the EPW, ie: with limited numbers and pre-arranged stops each night, and the organisers can be contacted via the HWF website or Facebook page.

It would be good if anyone with more info could add anything.

Just to say, we really enjoyed the walk. It is quite peaceful, rural and in a way remote, and pretty quiet - we were the only two on our schedule when we walked. We saw little to be concerned about in terms of personal safety, so don't be put off if you have concerns - give it a go!
Thanks for the information. I'd heard about this walk in Hungary but had trouble finding a lot of information without the correct name for it. It appears from their website that you can only do this walk if you do the walk on certain dates and organize it through this organization? How much prior to the walk do you have to register/apply? I'm thinking about next spring so hopeful that I don't have to register until early in the year?
Thanks in advance for any more information on this,

OnCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy Route (2016-2019)
Thanks for the information. I'd heard about this walk in Hungary but had trouble finding a lot of information without the correct name for it. It appears from their website that you can only do this walk if you do the walk on certain dates and organize it through this organization? How much prior to the walk do you have to register/apply? I'm thinking about next spring so hopeful that I don't have to register until early in the year?
Thanks in advance for any more information on this,
Hi AllanHG

Yes, that's right - the walk departs on certain dates, determined by the organisation. This year there were two weeks of departure dates in May and two weeks in June. This allows the accommodation, which is picked to support the walk, to know when visitors are due - it's not like the busier Camino routes when every village has one or more places to stay on an ad hoc basis.

In terms of registering, we did so in about Feb for the May departures. To be honest, that was ample time this year, although may not be next year if everyone who has expressed an interest decides to go! :)

The website and Facebook pages are the places to check - following on FB seems like the simplest course of action so you'll know when registration for 2020 is open.

If you like or have done any quiet Camino walking, you should be fine with this one.

Cheers

OnCamino

WalkingJane

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
I walked through Hungary and it is such a fantastic memory! Beautiful country, enchanting people and the food....oh.... 😎😎😎
Was in Hungary with Habitat for Humanity, not for walking, but want to totally agree about the country, people and food.

edandjoan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
We walked in 2017 and the path was poorly marked and in many places the path was over grown (waist high nettles). The in- route resources were few and far between and some of our "prebooked" accommodation hosts has no idea how many were in route for the day, and some hosts confused on which date we would arrive. They assumed all would take the "extra" days to Zagreb and Lake Bled. We started contacting accommodations after this happened on the overnight the day before Ljublljana. The cue sheet we were given and the the plot a route maps were different. The maps and cue sheet did not match up. We down loaded maps.me and used that app to navigate and at times finding our own way. The good is that there were some very nice hosts and they shared about their country and shared their food culture. Good idea..just wasn't followed through and the route needs better markings and could use some of the current way marked routes instead of trying to create ones.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
...Good idea..just wasn't followed through and the route needs better markings and could use some of the current way marked routes instead of trying to create ones.
Completely agree. Last summer I walked two stages of Slovenian St.James Way (Slovenska Jakobova Pot) from Croatian border in direction of Ljubljana because the tutorial of the EPW was that you take a train/bus from Brežice to Ljubljana whereas there's absolutely no need for that.
And that same same person was three times EPW veteran and she couldn't believe that. I'm not really sure if the guy doing this (I believe he's Irish and living in Serbia now) is really up to it... Or maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing at all and what we need.

edandjoan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
Let me say if you walk and are in Ljubljana, look up KinkyOne. He is a local with lots of local info. We meet up with him and good thing as we got to enjoy a wonderful Friday Open Kitchen in the old town and meet a great person.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%