• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am planning to walk from SJPP I live in australia and would like someone to walk with me

suzie

Time of past OR future Camino
planning my first trip
I am not sure when to start my walk, after winter of after summer I will take my time and expect 3 months should do all and see all that I can in that time frame.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Suzie,

Welcome to the Forum. Search through the posts for the answers to any questions you may have (Search bar is top right of the screen, just under your name). Though, of course, you're free to post your questions as well.

Once you've made the decision about when to set off and where to start, you're bound to find other members who are going at the same time.

Perhaps you'll find a walking companion in a Camino group. See http://afotc.org/index.php/2013-01-16-05-43-52/pilgrim-gatherings for details of regular meetings in Australia. Don't be put off if it looks like you may be walking alone, many of us do that from choice and feel very safe doing so.

There are always lots of people to walk with on the camino and even if you start alone, you will soon make good companions and form a camino family. I started alone but met some lovely people who have become life long friends.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Suzie! The Camino Francés is an active route and many of us here will be starting during the times you mention. I myself plan to start in SJPdP September 7th so if you see a bald guy with a handlebar moustache definitely say hi as it might be me!

Don't get too hung up on walking with someone else. Maybe do so at the start until you get your confidence, but it is so liberating to walk on your own. And there will always be your Camino family close by.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Part of the Camino for many is the joy found on it in just being and going with your own flow. As mentioned above, you will not be alone unless you want to be. There will always be others you can join/spend time with as and when you want. Many have said that it is a lot safer than their everyday environment at home. Enjoy your planning. Personally my preference is for late spring and early autumn.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have been wondering when the best time is to go September seems very popular, as I intend to do it slowly up to 3 months what would be better walking into the winter session or into the summer

Hi Suzie -
Just a thought ... as you intend to have a long Camino - up to three months - if you walked in the Spring going into Summer it gives you more options for travelling to other parts of Spain, and also other European countries afterwards, while the weather's warm. As you know, it's a l o n g way from Australia ... make the expense of the airfares work for you to the max.
Buen Camino for whatever time of year you go - it will be completely wonderful.
Take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Jenny I like what you said about more options for travel after the walk. I have been reading what others have said about the cold so I have at least made one decision, not to go early in the year.

Thanks Jenny I like what you said about more options for travel after the walk. I have been reading what others have said about the cold so I have at least made one decision, not to go early in the year.
Mid April is a good time to walk, it can still be cold and wet but it will starting to warm up, it is also a very beautiful time to walk, flowers will be starting to bloom and everything is green and fresh. It is also less busy than later in the year.
Whatever time you decide to walk have a great Camino.

Three months is a long time, more than enough to do it even slowly. In order to reap the full joy read up before you go read a bit of history, lots about art and architecture. In my opinion the best source book is entitled "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The Complete Cultural Handbook" written by David Gitlitz and his wife Linda Davidsontwo university professors who have lead many studnet groups through all or parts of the Camino. It is no handbook, large and bulky but with important guides and information on every village you will pass. The book is available from Amazon in both book and Kindle formats. Don't worry about thee camaraderie it will happen by itself, the Camino can be enjoyed as all pretty lights and nice music but there is much more to discover. "No worries mate!" and Buen Camino. Check your email, will be sending another private message.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been wondering when the best time is to go September seems very popular, as I intend to do it slowly up to 3 months what would be better walking into the winter session or into the summer
Hospilateros were saying June is the quietest months

Hi Suzie -
Just a thought ... as you intend to have a long Camino - up to three months - if you walked in the Spring going into Summer it gives you more options for travelling to other parts of Spain, and also other European countries afterwards, while the weather's warm. As you know, it's a l o n g way from Australia ... make the expense of the airfares work for you to the max.
Buen Camino for whatever time of year you go - it will be completely wonderful.
Take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Susie,
Jenny is right, make the airlines work for you.
There is a thing called "Open Jaw" ,or jawing which they never discuss. You land in one city, ex Paris or Madrid [ either for StJPdP] but fly home from Lisbon, London, etc.
We do this often and always from Singapore [ a day there relaxing before departure] We return there as well . As we have aged the 7 hrs stages are advantageous .
We fly up the front but from these Asian cities there are wonderful flights available at a very good price . Many airlines available instead of our 4 or 5.
Have a great holiday and head south when you finish.

thank you I think I can do it on my own looking forward to meeting more helpful folk like you, blessings sue
most pilgrims are a bit aprehensive before they start particularly if it is their first walk. But after a few days on the Camino you will know how it all works and feel confident .
Good luck
Walkmag

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Suzie: Keep in mind that as many as 200,000+ people walk the Camino every year. You are never alone. It has been my experience on my many long walks that, if possible, you should plan on going alone. Of course, if you have a spouse or direct relative that wants to go, then make an exception for that. Even though I did walk it with my wife, we spent a majority of the time off hiking with new friends and found each other at the albergues in the evening. Prior to that, I had hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, on the US east coast, all 3000 km, and I did that solo and loved every minute of it. There too, I made a ton of friends. The Camino is an opportunity to meet many new friends and that will happen. It is almost impossible not to make friends.

Planning on hiking with someone that you don't know well is likely to fail. First and foremost, most people just don't travel at the same rate and one will be held back and the other will feel stressed trying to keep up. This is a long walk, natural rhythms will sort out who you enjoy hiking with...believe me, it never fails. Let the Camino sort things out. If you 've seen the movie, The Way, with Martin Sheen, the one thing that I thought it captured best was the friendships that formed, and in the movie, he was trying not to be friendly. I've found friends on the Camino in 2011 that I correspond with regularly, and from several different countries.

As for three months, I think that is a good idea. I walked it in 43 days, and wish I had taken more, just to absorb the culture and beauty of the Camino. If you finish early, there are plenty of other things to see and do and other, shorter, walks worth taking. I found Sept/Oct. to be the best time to walk, the weather was fantastic and not too hot or cold. If I had three months, I might start in August, it will be hot, but just plan on short days.

Keep us posted on your progress, I always love to see how things work out.

Dennis

I am not sure when to start my walk, after winter of after summer I will take my time and expect 3 months should do all and see all that I can in that time frame.

We walked in October and it was really nice. Weather was warm but not too warm and it was never really cold either. There were not too many people around so we never had any trouble getting into alberques or other accomodation.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back