• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have a blind brother

Harambe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2019)
Hi everyone, I am so happy I found this community!

My brother is blind and has a guide dog. We are planning to do some of the Camino del Norte together. Will there be any issues with his dog at the albergues? If it helps, we will be traveling very early in the season - only a couple weeks from now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My brother is blind and has a guide dog. We are planning to do some of the Camino del Norte together. Will there be any issues with his dog at the albergues? If it helps, we will be traveling very early in the season - only a couple weeks from now.
Spanish law requires access for leader dogs. Not so much for "comfort animals (particularly alligators).

If it helps, we will be traveling very early in the season - only a couple weeks from now.

The bigger problem might be that some of the albergues will be closed. They tend to open for the season around Easter time, and some only open in June/July. If you go to Gronze, at the bottom of the page they list the albergues. If you click on the "albergue de peregrino" they should give you opening dates. Otherwise you can see other accommodation options ("albergue juvenil" is a youth hostel; "hostal" or "pension" are types of hotel).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I found the following on the csj website.
By law service dogs have much greater access to areas forbidden to pet dogs, including albergues, so it is possible to go on pilgrimage with your working companion. You must carry your dog’s service certification documentation,and it would be wise to have a brief Spanish and/or French translation to ensure hospitaleros or restaurant owners understand that you have a service dog with you. It is worthwhile to try and contact any Spanish association for similar service dogs to see what advice or assistance they can offer.

Thanks for the help everyone! Many albergues will be closed, but there are a solid few open year round or starting in March. I have our route mapped out so we should be able to hit open albergues. Thanks for the note about the certification and contacting a spanish seeing eye dog association.

I really appreciate the help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hola
It may sound weird but I think maybe you should consider knee pads for your brother.
The terrain can be rugged and the feeling of safety that knee pads would give, could be important.
Also, it could look somewhat cool :) - serious Camino gear and the dog of course has to have straps carrying water bottles.
Also remember to get a pilgrim passport for your dog,
Buen Camino to the three of you!
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! Many albergues will be closed, but there are a solid few open year round or starting in March. I have our route mapped out so we should be able to hit open albergues. Thanks for the note about the certification and contacting a spanish seeing eye dog association.

I really appreciate the help!
Hola Harambe I will be on the Norte in just 8 days hope to meet you and your brother and service animal. I will be the girl with the metal brace on the left leg, walking very slow so you can catch me hahah. I have had some experience with service dogs so hopefully I can help if needed. I would add for you to search on this site for others who have travelled with animals wheather service animal or other wise specific to the Norte. Also reach out to @Nomad Pack he maybe a good source of information for you in terms of a person travelling with animals. Hope we run into each other...Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back