• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I just love my life

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Sometimes we meet and then enjoy good friends. Sometimes their kindness is overwhelming. Today I give thanks for a wonderful gesture from a mate. I have a smile a mile wide today. He one of the best. I am posting this because I just want to share a moment of pure joy with you all. Hope your day is as good as mine is today.
PS Flight day only 24 days away! Yeh! Life is so so good to me! :):):):):):):)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Pat. As you well know after your (not so) recent bad time the famous Emile Coue saying "Tous les jours a tous points de vue je vais mieux en mieux"! :)
How right you are Allan, that phrase kept me going many years ago when I fought the Black Dog, and thankfully it does get better and better.

How right you are Allan, that phrase kept me going many years ago when I fought the Black Dog, and thankfully it does get better and better.
I agree whole heartedly, after years of dealing with the Black Dog after my first walk (well I must say when I decided to go) things started to look up and after my second I no longer take medication, though some days are hard I now know that I can over come all as I have walked the Prynne's and I have friends around the world along with this forum. I will be better still come 2016 when I walk to Santiago for a third time, so to all who have to deal with the dog just go out and walk the Camino or just try and talk to a friend.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree whole heartedly, after years of dealing with the Black Dog after my first walk (well I must say when I decided to go) things started to look up and after my second I no longer take medication, though some days are hard I now know that I can over come all as I have walked the Prynne's and I have friends around the world along with this forum. I will be better still come 2016 when I walk to Santiago for a third time, so to all who have to deal with the dog just go out and walk the Camino or just try and talk to a friend.
what's the Black Dog?

A good day? Al stop going on about the cricket! But seriously, life is wonderful. It remains so, even if we can't appreciate it sometimes. I looked tonight at the vastness of the night sky and marvelled at the miracle of being here, in this time, in this place. Go well, friend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sometimes we meet and then enjoy good friends. Sometimes their kindness is overwhelming. Today I give thanks for a wonderful gesture from a mate. I have a smile a mile wide today. He one of the best. I am posting this because I just want to share a moment of pure joy with you all. Hope your day is as good as mine is today.
Pass it on, pass it on!
Joy shared is joy multiplied. Walk in Beauty.

I never, ever thought I would have to deal with the Black Dog, but he visited me twice in my life. I kicked him to the curb in both situations, and learned that it's never a weakness to ask for medical help.

Happy to say that after two close deaths and a bad year following, I've been Black Dog-free for about two years now, and could not be happier to be back to my sunshiney self!

Turn, turn, turn, there is a season...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A wonderful description of what it means "to be blessed".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I never, ever thought I would have to deal with the Black Dog, but he visited me twice in my life. I kicked him to the curb in both situations, and learned that it's never a weakness to ask for medical help.

Happy to say that after two close deaths and a bad year following, I've been Black Dog-free for about two years now, and could not be happier to be back to my sunshiney self!

Turn, turn, turn, there is a season...
I hope you do walk the Camino as I know you will have a peaceful time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me, it takes too much work to be depressed. I have always believed that life is what you make of it. I choose every day to try and make my life as happy as I can. My life didn't start out good. It was poor and it was rough. I have always believed that if one day is not good, guess what? I have another to try and make it better. Today my church celebrated mass in the park with sunshine, music and joy. It was followed by a parish picnic. It was a good day. Soon I will start my count down to return to Spain and the Camino next year. Life is good.

For me, it takes too much work to be depressed. I have always believed that life is what you make of it. I choose every day to try and make my life as happy as I can. My life didn't start out good. It was poor and it was rough. I have always believed that if one day is not good, guess what? I have another to try and make it better. Today my church celebrated mass in the park with sunshine, music and joy. It was followed by a parish picnic. It was a good day. Soon I will start my count down to return to Spain and the Camino next year. Life is good.
I am delighted that you are making your life happy yourself. I need to correct you though.

Depression is not just "I'm poor and I don't have a great house so I feel sad".

Neither is it "I can just put on a smile and make it better".

Depression is a chemical imbalance that can occur in a chronic, recurring way, or it is a chemical imbalance that results from a situation that causes huge stress and exhaustion. Depression is NOT "I am a pessimistic, lazy person who can't see my way out".

To be more precise, I don't think you know what some of us have dealt with. If you can't get informed about this, please don't make others feel bad with your implication that we are either a) lazy b) pessimistic or that we c) can somehow control it, but we just let it occur because 'we' have the time or inclination to let it run its ugly course.

Wish I could sound friendlier, but I was offended by your post, and I don't think you meant to do that to anyone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am delighted that you are making your life happy yourself. I need to correct you though.

Depression is not just "I'm poor and I don't have a great house so I feel sad".

Neither is it "I can just put on a smile and make it better".

Depression is a chemical imbalance that can occur in a chronic, recurring way, or it is a chemical imbalance that results from a situation that causes huge stress and exhaustion. Depression is NOT "I am a pessimistic, lazy person who can't see my way out".

To be more precise, I don't think you know what some of us have dealt with. If you can't get informed about this, please don't make others feel bad with your implication that we are either a) lazy b) pessimistic or that we c) can somehow control it, but we just let it occur because 'we' have the time or inclination to let it run its ugly course.

Wish I could sound friendlier, but I was offended by your post, and I don't think you meant to do that to anyone.

Sorry, but never, never meant to offend. I had a brother that suffered from deep chronic depression. His depression was so that it was hard for him to make it out the door every day.I hope you understand that when I write it is from my own experience when I have felt depressed and not anyone else's. I really can't speak about anyone else's battles with depression. I would never think that someone suffering from these struggles are lazy. That is really not the truth.It is very serious and a very hard subject for some people who may really need help. I can not begin to speak about people who have suffered from chronic depression in the past or present. I believe that is a whole different subject than the one I was trying to express.

Hi Al I too love your optimism, it lifts me up!
My great day was Saturday when I became a Mother-in-Law for the first time! Always wanted a sister for my beautiful daughter. My daughter-in-law is just perfect for my son and he for her.:) I don't think there can be anything better than seeing your children truly and blissfully happy. Life is good to me too! :D

I hope you enjoy your second 2015 camino as much as your first. :)
Buen camino

Interestingly there is new research that implicates the stomach and bowel microbial balance - the gut flora - in many cases of depression. I know no more than this but it does make me wonder if these terrible mental attacks could be alleviated by altering that balance - a diet completely free of any processed and/or refined foods, plenty of live yoghurt, Manuka honey, and so on. Depression is almost unheard of in so called 'primitive' cultures where the diet is wholefood and unchanged for millennia. We know our minds affect our bodies and that our bodies affect our minds, perhaps, just perhaps this would make a difference? Is it possible that part of the improvement found by walking the Camino is not just the Camino effect - the exercise, the banishment of life's cares and woes, the community - but also the change in diet? I don't know but perhaps, just perhaps, there is an answer here?

As for the original OP - Al, you are such a Good man - look at your photo! I am glad that good things are coming to you. All is well Al, however the universe may manifest to us All is Always Well.
So ... you will be on Camino about the 4th/5th? Will you be on the Frances? I would like to share a glass of Rioja with you.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope you enjoy your second 2015 camino as much as your first
So ... you will be on Camino about the 4th/5th? Will you be on the Frances? I would like to share a glass of Rioja with you.
It will be my eighth. I am revisiting the Ingles (which was my first one) in three weeks. I would love to share a Rioja with you David if the chance ever occurs. But there is a thread about us having a Camino get together in Birmingham. Interested?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry, but never, never meant to offend. I had a brother that suffered from deep chronic depression. His depression was so that it was hard for him to make it out the door every day.I hope you understand that when I write it is from my own experience when I have felt depressed and not anyone else's. I really can't speak about anyone else's battles with depression. I would never think that someone suffering from these struggles are lazy. That is really not the truth.It is very serious and a very hard subject for some people who may really need help. I can not begin to speak about people who have suffered from chronic depression in the past or present. I believe that is a whole different subject than the one I was trying to express.

Thanks for your note. As one of those unfortunate "people who have suffered" I appreciate your taking another look. Because of your brother, I'm sure you've had a lot of discussions and time to think about what you do about "depression" (which is, in your case, just momentary passing "bad day"--there is a difference between the two). Family stuff is so hard, and influences everything that we say and do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE="Griffin57, post: 331688, member: 27417".............I don't think there can be anything better than seeing your children truly and blissfully happy.
Buen camino

Love that sentiment Griffin57, simply love it.
Buen (children-loving) Camino[/QUOTE]

Thank you JohnMcM!
Only one of my children, my youngest, Ben has walked the camino. He said it was the best experience of his life so far. :) Had his 28th birthday in Pamplona, unforgettable!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Today I was reminded so I have scanned through the posts. They have brought a smile to my face and a feeling of happiness. Thanks people. Oh, and as I was doing it the sun came out ! Yippee! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SDC is to the west of northern Spain, so by the afternoon surely the sun would be almost in front of you. No?
I guess that its half and half unless you start about 5 a.m

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love the cartoons David and the post about possible contributing factors. This all comes up in TMS (google TMSwiki for info) I suffered for over 20 years but have found the help I needed through that site and books by Dr Sarno. The fact that I was physically and mentally better when on Camino - was one of the main reasons I looked for and found the way through. It would probably help a lot of people to have a Camino prescription from their Doctor...

I spent most of my 20s wishing I was dead. Now life is good. Who knows if it will stay this way, but when I was younger I never would have guessed my outlook would change so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.