• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I may be crazy....

Loretta S

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Frances 2019
Frances 2022
My 22 yr. old daughter just secured a job after college graduation (Yippee) and we are celebrating with a very last minute trip for 2 weeks of walking the Camino Frances. My husband and I completed the Camino in 2017 but my daughter is a newbie. I just bought airfare yesterday and her pack still has the tags on it. We begin on August 22 in Astorga and will finish (hopefully) in Santiago on Sept. 2!! This time around I have secured lodging ahead of time to lessen the pressure to get to our destination early. This should allow plenty of time to take it slowly. Questions:
Should we prebook train tickets from Madrid to Astorga (not sure of timing from airport to train station etc.) or can we purchase whenever we arrive at train station? Do they sell out??

Also, if my daughter just can’t make it some day (I am preparing myself since she has only walked 2 days of 6 miles and all without a pack) can we call for transportation to the next town? Would it be a taxi? If so, is there one general phone number or different numbers for each town? How do I find these numbers?

Thanks in advance. And….wish us luck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds great! I'd get the ALSA bus from Madrid airport terminal 4 straight to Astorga myself, you can book tickets online before you go to avoid the queue at the counter. Buen camino!
Do you buy tickets from the Renfe website?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd be very surprised if a 22yr old can't manage the French route. Resist the temptation to over organise, I understand the desire to try and make your trip as trouble free as possible, but in doing so you can make a rod for your own back and you may miss the sence of adventure and achievement the Camino can bring.

As I get older I find it very advantageous to have my daughter walk with me, when I pulled up sick and lame on my last Camino she carried my pack, held me up and sorted me out both practically and emotionally as l slowly broke down. She shrugged it off and said it was just her time to help me given all the help I have given her over the years, made me realize that I must have done an ok job as a mother after all.

Good luck with your trip.

Taxis will work...if you are close to a road. For a non-stressful first few days, ask the Hospitalier/landlord/receptionist wherever you stay for the phone number of a local taxi driver and carry it with you. You will be walking through some serious boondocks and if there is a bus it may only come through twice a day, ALSA does serve the boonies but not frequently. Buen Camino!

Strongly suggest book train tickets in advance. An excellent booking site is loco2.com - same price as Renfe direct, but all in English with ‘print at home’ tickets.

Yes, tickets can sell out - but there are many trains daily Madrid to Leon (then bus to Astorga).

Advance booking substantially cheaper.

If you find a telephone pole or streetlight without a taxi number sticker on it, take a photo - they are a rarity!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Loretta S No, ALSA is a bus company, website link here, but their buses are comfortable, plentiful and cheap. If you land in Madrid Barajas airport there is a free shuttle bus doing the rounds of all the terminals, so hop on one of them and within 10-15 mins at most you'll be in Terminal 4, where ALSA has a counter and all its stands. It is by far the easiest way to get from Madrid airport to Astorga - just sit back and relax. When you get to Astorga, just cross the road and take the shortcut path up to the Gaudí Bishop's palace and the cathedral and why not stay in Hotel Gaudí for the night? The camino passes right in front of the hotel.

Strongly suggest book train tickets in advance. An excellent booking site is loco2.com - same price as Renfe direct, but all in English with ‘print at home’ tickets.

Yes, tickets can sell out - but there are many trains daily Madrid to Leon (then bus to Astorga).

Advance booking substantially cheaper.

If you find a telephone pole or streetlight without a taxi number sticker on it, take a photo - they are a rarity!
How much time do you think I will need between landing at the airport and train departure? It looks like the trains depart from Madrid-Chamartin. Our plane lands at 10:00 and I am trying to decide the earliest we could depart by train.

So easy to take the ALSA bus since it drops you right in front of the Bishop's Palace in Astoria. We did this last May and were surprised at how wonderful the bus was with large windows, waters and snacks, wifi, and bathroom. Right from the airport without any need to go into Madrid and transfer to get to train station.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you're concerned about your daughter not making it due to lack of training, why not have her bag sent ahead (you have reservations, right?). Then the walking will be easier for her.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Sorry. One more thing. Do busses sell out? Could we purchase tickets when we arrive in Madrid? This would give us some flexibility in an earlier departure if our flight gets in on time.

If you're concerned about your daughter not making it due to lack of training, why not have her bag sent ahead (you have reservations, right?). Then the walking will be easier for her.
Yes. I have that option "in my pocket". She's confident she can make it but its always good to have options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We just finished the Ingles with our 20 year old daughter on summer break from college, she did 2 3-mile hikes for training, that’s all. Fortunately at their age they adapt pretty quickly to the physical demands, as long as blister prevention is superb. And the Ingles is hillier than the stretch you are planning. I think your daughter will pleasantly surprise you!

How much time do you think I will need between landing at the airport and train departure? It looks like the trains depart from Madrid-Chamartin. Our plane lands at 10:00 and I am trying to decide the earliest we could depart by train.
Remember that is when your plane is scheduled to arrive - there can always be delays. Give yourself a time cushion for contingencies.

How much time do you think I will need between landing at the airport and train departure?

I’m a creature of habit and try not to rush. UK flights land at T1 from where I take the express bus to Atocha and a local train or subway to Chamartin.

I’d give it at least three hours from scheduled arrival time.

However, I believe there is a direct subway from T4 to Chamartin. That would be quicker.

Until now I’ve had the privilege of being in a country which was part of the EU. As of November I’m in the same position as US citizens and things will probably be slower.

Anyway, seems like you’ve gone with the ‘happy to sit down for another four hours even though I’ve just had a long intercontinental flight’ bus supporters rather than the ‘why not stand up and walk around, visit the restaurant car and/or use the bathroom and free wifi’ train promoters.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m a creature of habit and try not to rush. UK flights land at T1 from where I take the express bus to Atocha and a local train or subway to Chamartin.

I’d give it at least three hours from scheduled arrival time.

However, I believe there is a direct subway from T4 to Chamartin. That would be quicker.

Until now I’ve had the privilege of being in a country which was part of the EU. As of November I’m in the same position as US citizens and things will probably be slower.

Anyway, seems like you’ve gone with the ‘happy to sit down for another four hours even though I’ve just had a long intercontinental flight’ bus supporters rather than the ‘why not stand up and walk around, visit the restaurant car and/or use the bathroom and free wifi’ train promoters.

You pays your money and takes your choice!
Hah. I definitely prefer train travel. Still mulling the various options.

I don’t know your exact bus, but many of the Alsa busses leave from the Madrid airport . They are all in a row and easy to find . I believe your train leaves from the charmatin station. There is a connecting train from the airport to charmartin station. Your call on whether or not the convenience of the bus (catch it at the airport) offsets the possibly faster train trip. Also, some of the busses many have more stops along the way and be slower than the bus at other times (you can see that in the “length of trip “ on the booking site). I have used the Alsa website for booking bus trips and loco2.com for booking train trips . Buen Camino

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I would take the train if it is available and book seats in advance. More than once I left it late and there were very few seats available. Bus is a good back-up plan. Have fun.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree with Nidarosa....we arrived Madrid Barajas airport,got free shuttle to T4 and ALSA counter where we got our tickets for bus to Astorga. Another time (to save time at counter) we booked tickets online. We used the services of Jacotrans to transport our luggage from Hostal/Hotel to Hostal/Hotel. Our luggage was waiting for us by the time we reached our destination each afternoon!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you’re really concerned about your daughter, have WhatsApp on your phones so you can text/chat if you get separated. CaminoFacil is my preferred luggage transfer company and they have cab dispatch AND you can contact them using WhatsApp.
Hope it’s a great trek!

Many thanks. We are here on Camino in Molinaseca. I reserved the bus and had plenty of time even though our plane was 1 hour delayed. However the bus was mismarked And we would have missed it if I hadn’t been anxious and kept asking. But, all good in the end. Daughter injured first day. Got a brace for injured knee and tending to her nasty blisters. Even bought new shoes. Transporting her backpack and getting her walking sticks. On we go. FYI: many, many more cyclists than when I walked in 2017. I have heard many saying the same thing. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lotetta S,

I saw lots of good information but no one commented on your statement I may be crazy... so, I will. You are, so’s your daughter, enjoy your Camino Madness. Buen Camino to you both. I stayed at the Hotel Gaudi in June, great place to crash after your travels.

Many thanks. We are here on Camino in Molinaseca. I reserved the bus and had plenty of time even though our plane was 1 hour delayed. However the bus was mismarked And we would have missed it if I hadn’t been anxious and kept asking. But, all good in the end. Daughter injured first day. Got a brace for injured knee and tending to her nasty blisters. Even bought new shoes. Transporting her backpack and getting her walking sticks. On we go. FYI: many, many more cyclists than when I walked in 2017. I have heard many saying the same thing. Buen Camino.
Walking sticks are so helpful for an injured knee. I injured mine on my 2016 camino and I don't think I would have completed it without them (and the brace).

My daughter said the following ....if first up on Camino ;
Plane arrived @ 10am
Bus left @ 11.15 am .........no worries there.
Arrived @ Astorga @ 5.15pm , a long day......hope you stayed and slept in.
I would then have gone only to Santacatalina , 12km max. a rest for the kid.
Next day walk to Foncrbadon ....15km.
The next morning walk to Acebo , 11km and with all the cyclists at the top bar .....
You have now had the beauty of up there , now get the taxi to Ponferrada.
You are on a very tight time frame , walking Brierley's stages without being warmed up.
The down hill part between Acebo and Molineseca is VERY DEADLY for all joints.
Taxi 5km to Columbranos then walk 20km to Villafranca
From there on tell her the most beautiful [ via Samos] and skip Portomarin to Palas de Rei
This should get the purists going.

Cyclists everywhere when we were there just recently , got to Melide and then bus to Ferrol
Beautiful last 100km from there , 20 people per day max.

The smart taxis have their phone numbers on the seats along the way. Exactly where the tired pilgrims will want them and find them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back