• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I really wish I knew that!

Just because something isn't on the menu doesn't mean you can't ask. We often order fried eggs with toast for breakfast and have seldom been denied that pleasure.
Last spring I asked at a cafe in Sobrado if they had huevos/ eggs as a breakfast option. The owner, a smiling friendly woman, using her google translate, said yes, it was possible, but that she needed a few minutes. We waited, and saw her walking quickly on the street to the nearby grocery store and came back carrying a dozen fresh eggs. Ten minutes later we had fluffy rolled up omelets with meat and cheese; I thought that was the nicest thing for her to do for us! Her husband was in charge of the bar while she cooked in the back kitchen.
Screenshot_20231209-141311~3.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1) You can ask to replace french fries in a menu with a small salad. No one seems to mind doing that.

2) Just because something isn't on the menu doesn't mean you can't ask. We often order fried eggs with toast for breakfast and have seldom been denied that pleasure.
Never even thought of 1/, and whilst I'm never shy of asking if I can have something that's not on the menu I never thought of asking for fried eggs for breakfast. Definitely gotta try that one next time - what an excellent tip, thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not usually a breakfast thing, but a Spanish comfort food is "broken eggs" or huevos rotos. Fried eggs over fried potatoes usually with some chorizo or ham. My husband loves this artery clogging wonder dish.
That's exactly the type of thing I make for comfort food. Would make a cracking camino breakfast! Wouldn't need lunch after that...

American restaurants often have a "Farmer's breakfast" on the menu, similar to your hubby's fave, and I make a similar one at home on rare occasion, but I stir raw eggs in to the fried potatoes, add sausage pieces and a bit of melted cheese, I simply call the artery plugging, delicious mess..."Goo".

American restaurants often have a "Farmer's breakfast" on the menu, similar to your hubby's fave, and I make a similar one at home on rare occasion, but I stir raw eggs in to the fried potatoes, add sausage pieces and a bit of melted cheese, I simply call the artery plugging, delicious mess..."Goo".
Yes, he will eat it any time. On our first Camino he didn't know what huevos rotos was until we were at a touristy place that had the English translation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is excellent advice and can be applied to bars, post offices, bus and rail stations and even busy city road intersections.

Assume you are not in Kansas and just spend a moment or even a minute observing what other people are doing. Like getting your queue ticket in Correos; saying “Hola, Buenas…” before making your request; like putting 50 cents on the bar if you’ve just used the facilities without any intention of making a purchase…

I only discovered Orujo because I was closely observing the gentlemen preceding me at the counter of a bar in the back end of the Picos one revelatory year in the’70’s
Tincatinker, having read many of your posts I think you and Orujo were destined to be soulmates, regardless

There is a shortage of clothes pegs .... those drying lines in the refugio gardens? never enough - and you may find in the morning that someone has taken a few of yours away with them.
I am now in the habit of occasionally buying a card of twenty and filling up the line in the next refugio I stay in ..
although there was usually enough, I had not use my pegs a few times. Left them at the Hostel in Madrid for someone else to use when I flew out of Madrid.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My apologies to @trecile, but I have a simple rule for toilet paper. If there is a waste basket by the pedestal, it goes there. If not, it gets flushed. If I do that and then see the waste basket, I don't worry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My apologies to @trecile, but I have a simple rule for toilet paper. If there is a waste basket by the pedestal, it goes there. If not, it gets flushed. If I do that and then see the waste basket, I don't worry.
Yes, just because there isn't a notice, doesn't mean it's OK to flush. Some places it's just expected that everybody knows.

If you are a drinker, there is a drink popular in Basque Country called calimocho or kalimotxo. It’s 50/50 Coca-cola (or Coke Zero) and red wine. Especially some younger people along the Camino, that’s all they drank. It’s best described as a quickly kung-fu’d sangria without the fruit. I wouldn’t order it at a high brow place.
I always thought of tinto de verano as quickly kung-fued sangria without the fruit. Where sangria or tinto de verano were not included in the menu del dia, sometimes we (as a table) would order a mix of red wine and Kas Limon (some for one person and some for another) with our menus del dia, with a wink and a nod at the waiter, and make our own.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always thought of tinto de verano as quickly kung-fued sangria without the fruit.
In places which serve wine which is a bit rough it is not unusual to be asked if you want it con gaseosa - with a bottle of fizzy slightly flavoured and sweetened water. The most popular brand seems to be La Casera. If the wine is very rough they may not even bother to ask but bring you a bottle by default :) Makes for a long refreshing drink especially on a hot day.

There is a shortage of clothes pegs .... those drying lines in the refugio gardens? never enough - and you may find in the morning that someone has taken a few of yours away with them.
I am now in the habit of occasionally buying a card of twenty and filling up the line in the next refugio I stay in ..
Pegless washing lines . . they're a lifesaver
🙃

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some very nice contributions, but as with so many posts/threads on here, you would need an archaeologist and a monk to extract the pertinent tidbits from the confines of the superfluous.
  • Throwing the used TP into a bin is most assuredly the extreme exception. This is Western Europe, not outhouses along the Ganges
  • Since so many seem to be preoccupied with the topic of toilet arts, I recommend bringing your favorite flushable toilet wipes from home and a few ziplocks. Carry a few “easy access” in a ziplock, and the remainder in your backpack. Quality flushable wipes were hard to find along Camino Frances. As mentioned by others, these are best tossed in the trash
  • It’s your Camino. If you feel tired/slightly injured, don’t be afraid to use Jacotrans, or another backpack transport service. The real tip here is whilst recovering, park your gear at a central hotel that you’re staying at for a few days, then use taxis to transport you back to the Pueblo of your last taxi pickup, so you can continue without “cheating,” but with the comfort and consistency of one hotel room. Advised to have a packable daypack or robust crossbody/waistbag while your main gear is at the hotel room
  • If using a transport service and you miss the deadline to schedule a pickup for your bag, all is not lost! You can text them on their WhatsApp (numbers available on their respective websites). Jacotrans and Caminofácil will usually respond and accommodate after hours
  • Despite the prevailing myths that everyone loves peregrinos, in cities like Burgos, for example, when peregrinos exit the “Camino economic envelope” to enter trendy establishments not normally frequented by peregrinos, they are often - but not always - looked upon as though they are “lower” and unwelcomed by either the clientele, staff, or both. Do your homework before getting into potentially awkward situations
  • Partially continuing on from my previous point, a certain population of road bike cyclists are elitistas and seemingly rude/cold towards peregrinos on the Camino and at the cafes. Be prepared for it, and as Marcus Aurelius would espouse, it’s insignificant
  • If you are a drinker, there is a drink popular in Basque Country called calimocho or kalimotxo. It’s 50/50 Coca-cola (or Coke Zero) and red wine. Especially some younger people along the Camino, that’s all they drank. It’s best described as a quickly kung-fu’d sangria without the fruit. I wouldn’t order it at a high brow place.
That’s all for now. Best of luck and success!!!
I find these very well stated suggestions/thoughts. And they all pretty much agree w my own experiences on my multiple Camino journeys. Thank you! Buen Camino, mi peregrino!

Did you bring your own? I never noticed one at the albergues I stayed at.
Yeah, you can pick them up for next to nothing at any outdoors shop - even Amazon. Very light and normally come with hooks and suckers(?). So if you have something to attach hooks to, you're good to go. Suckers( still not convinced that's the right word) if you need to use them indoors.
👍🙂

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yeah, you can pick them up for next to nothing at any outdoors shop - even Amazon. Very light and normally come with hooks and suckers(?). So if you have something to attach hooks to, you're good to go. Suckers( still not convinced that's the right word) if you need to use them indoors.
👍🙂
I think that you mean suction cups. 😊

Screenshot_20231213_155219_Firefox.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading various books and blogs and it struck me that perhaps I should ask about those things that either no one talks about or that you thought "I really wish I knew that before I began". For instance, I read about "a nature poo" and to be prepared. It might not apply to me because we are doing the last 100 miles rather than a long walker but it's the type of thing no one really mentions. There was also a guy that couldn't get water filled at a fountain because he didn't realize the fountain operated with foot pedals. Do any of you have anything to share that isn't mentioned in the books or blogs because it's embarrassing or not of real note but still important? We are American so we aren't familiar with European customs either.
As long as you’re in a marked crosswalk and there isn’t a walk/don’t walk light, vehicles actually stop for you, !!
As a matter of courtesy, I will motion them to pass if I’m not ready to cross. Sometimes I’m being more of a tourist than a hiker or I’m checking my phone for directions.

As long as you’re in a marked crosswalk and there isn’t a walk/don’t walk light, vehicles actually stop for you, !!
As a matter of courtesy, I will motion them to pass if I’m not ready to cross. Sometimes I’m being more of a tourist than a hiker or I’m checking my phone for directions.
It has happened for me even when I had no intention of crossing and didn't know what made them think otherwise. But equally often, I have wanted to cross and no one stopped to permit it. (In Spain)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back