• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I was Tom, now I guess I'm Joost

Coleen Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
Well there hasn't been a thread about "The Way" specifically for a while, so I'll start one.
It was written to mimic "The Wizard of OZ", Santiago being the Emerald City, and of course we Follow the Yellow ...arrows.
I was Tom (Dorothy) on my first Camino, walking with my little sister's ashes, alone and in grief. She was the one who said I could walk it, I never believed it until I had finished.
Now in August I walk again, and just for a change I will be Joost(Cowardly Lion) walking from meal to delicious meal, trying to lose all these extra pounds. It's my granddaughter's wedding I am going to, and I can't fit into my dress. Perhaps like Joost I will just buy a new outfit and be content with who I am.
So which character are you identifying with most?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm Galinda with a 'Ga".....jk
I will be walking in honor of and hopefully "with" my late son. We were supposed to do it together. Otherwise I have nothing in Common with Tom as I will have to go very slow and with short distances and am pretty social by nature.

Three years ago February 2014, I left a stint at mom's to move to NYC, again. I arrived in NYC, April 2014, upon SJPP-Fisterra pilgrimage. In NYC: cowardly lion found courage to stay, my brain was hijacked by wickedly witch, I took, it back, and my heart was wounded and healed by illness. Now, I've boomeranged back to mom's, she's no longer able to reside or live alone due to sickness of the aged. I am Dorothy at end of movie. The untold story. Camino VDP, this summer, we shall see....

Why don't you walk as yourself? We will never be someone else. Even though the camino last year changed into a requiem for my wife, it was my body and it was my mind executing this requiem. Not someone else.
Bom caminho!

I would be "Jack" because I have "Camino Block" :( I was planning on going again this year, but now it seem like I will not be able to go until 2018 :( Oh well, something to look forward to :)
But you WILL go again, and I wish you a Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm Galinda with a 'Ga".....jk
I will be walking in honor of and hopefully "with" my late son. We were supposed to do it together. Otherwise I have nothing in Common with Tom as I will have to go very slow and with short distances and am pretty social by nature.
Yeah, that's what I didn't have in common with him either, his speed and constant forward motion. I was and still am more of a stutter walking snail.
Hey, is that the name of a Grunge Rock Group?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why don't you walk as yourself? We will never be someone else. Even though the camino last year changed into a requiem for my wife, it was my body and it was my mind executing this requiem. Not someone else.
Bom caminho!

:) The OP wasn't really talking about assuming a different persona, she was referring to a fictional character being a metaphor.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well there hasn't been a thread about "The Way" specifically for a while, so I'll start one.
It was written to mimic "The Wizard of OZ", Santiago being the Emerald City, and of course we Follow the Yellow ...arrows.
I was Tom (Dorothy) on my first Camino, walking with my little sister's ashes, alone and in grief. She was the one who said I could walk it, I never believed it until I had finished.
Now in August I walk again, and just for a change I will be Joost(Cowardly Lion) walking from meal to delicious meal, trying to lose all these extra pounds. It's my granddaughter's wedding I am going to, and I can't fit into my dress. Perhaps like Joost I will just buy a new outfit and be content with who I am.
So which character are you identifying with most?
My late husband and I joked about wearing Team Joost shirts on what was to be our Camino. But now that it is just me doing this I have to wait till done to see what role I am. Guiltily I admit to wanting to be Toto.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw a video on YouTube of an interview with director Emilio Estevez and his dad, the wonderful Martin Sheen. There's a dedication at the end of the movie to Martin's dad who immigrated to America from Galicia. Emilio's son married a young Galician woman he met during the production. Sheen and his grandson had walked some of the CF a couple of years before the film was made, the movie idea came from that walk, I think.

During the interview, Emilio explained that he had used the Wizard of Oz characters as models. Multiple characters like the three followers are often offered in allegorical stories as facets of one composite character. We aspire to be Dorothy but we are also at times, the scarecrow, the lion, the tin man. And the Wizard himself. The Wizard is our wayward self - fearful, delusional and false.

But you probably knew all this. Forgive me, I'm a movie nerd.

I watched another beautifully spiritual and poetic, allegorical movie recently called 'The Vessel', in which Martin Sheen plays a priest. 'The Vessel' reminded me of 'One Hundred Years Of Solitude'. He also played a priest in 'Trash', set in the slums of a Brazilian city, about a group of boys who work in an enormous garbage dump. Both are exquisite films, IMHO. I'm drawn to films with Sheen in them, he often seems to be attracted to projects with spiritual themes. An essential goodness seems to come out of him.

In more movie news, Terrence Malik, my favourite director ('Tree Of Life'), is in post-production on a movie about the legendary conscientious objector Franz Jagerstatter. Read the 1943 letter to his wife from prison if you can find it. ("Many actually believe quite simply that things have to be the way they are.")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Jägerstätter

Buen Camino, - Mike

P.S. Sheen and Malick are old friends. Sheen was in Malick's first film 'Badlands' in 1973. Malick studied philosophy at Harvard and Oxford.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I feel more like Daniel but I survived. I want to see the world one step at a time. Pretty excited after doing the Camino France's last year and bringing home all the stories, my wife has surprised me and has decided she would like to do the Camino Portuguese this year! All booked and ready to go.

I guess I feel more like Daniel but I survived. I want to see the world one step at a time. Pretty excited after doing the Camino France's last year and bringing home all the stories, my wife has surprised me and has decided she would like to do the Camino Portuguese this year! All booked and ready to go.

Same for me. While my wife has some walking issues she has agreed to and we are planning for enjoying Porto to Santiago in April 2018 after La Fallas in Valencia in March. Plus we are planning to retire in Spain, so we will be visiting other areas of the country looking for our new hometown.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
P.S. Sheen and Malick are old friends. Sheen was in Malick's first film 'Badlands' in 1973. Malick studied philosophy at Harvard and Oxford.
It was Martin Sheen's debut role too.
Can you imagine a Malick movie with a Camino theme? That would be something.
And incidentally, Sheen credits Malick with being the catalyst in straightening him out when he had sunk into his Charlie Sheen phase after "Apocalypse Now".

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here is a small excerpt from the webpage http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/martin-sheen-and-emilio-estevez-talk-about-the-way

What inspired the film?
Emilio: Martin was on a hiatus from The West Wing and had about two weeks, so he decided to go check out the Camino by car. He went with my son, Taylor, and a friend, Matt Clark, who plays one of the priests in the movie. Their first stop was in Burgos, where they had dinner. While there, the innkeeper’s daughter walked into the room, and when she and my son met, it was love at first sight. They ended up getting married. That’s the first miracle of the Camino. Afterwards, Martin kept giving me the nudge that we should make a movie about the Camino. He was thinking of a documentary, but I was thinking of something else.

In the movie, Martin’s character needs a tornado in his life. He’s “Dorothy,” and along the Camino, he meets the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow. The road is marked in yellow, and our Emerald City is Compostela.

It was Martin Sheen's debut role too.
Can you imagine a Malick movie with a Camino theme? That would be something.
And incidentally, Sheen credits Malick with being the catalyst in straightening him out when he had sunk into his Charlie Sheen phase after "Apocalypse Now".
Sheen had a heart attack early on while filming 'Apocalypse Now'. Harvey Keitel originally had Sheen's role but he walked out because he thought the project was insane.

Well, even after the wise and admonishing words in this thread about just being the person one is without the encumbrance of identifying with a fictional character, I'm going with Jack. He's crazy(ish). Check. He's a bit daft about a lot of things. Check. He's struggling to find his creative side. Check. He needs to idle down. Check. He wants (is told) to be honest about the story of which he is a part. Check. But mostly it's the being crazy(ish) part I identify with.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you friends for such a rich dialogue and thoughtful references. Timely, I am two weeks into my first CF, and just enveloping what comes. I dedicated my walk to Peace, as I am concerned for our world at the moment. I am an American named "Tom", as many people here have reminded me (" You are just like the movie..."), 60 years old, again ibid, and a father carrying questions about children and our understanding of their choices. I am also a vet of the early (2001-2002) Afghan involvement, and find walking the Mesata hauntingly evocative. I get both Malick and Sheen, and am proudly one of the dozen people on earth who passionately love Malick films. Whether the Wizard, or the Heart of Darkness, it is a journey we take, some of by our own choosing, others not. By sight, I guess you would guess me Jost. By discernment, Tom (except I try to be very polite to everyone).

Ultreia

Sheen had a heart attack early on while filming 'Apocalypse Now'. Harvey Keitel originally had Sheen's role but he walked out because he thought the project was insane.
So following this timeline correctly, we should be in store for a Malick movie that combines the Camino with Apocalypse Now.
Apostolate Now?
So, the plot is Dorothy(or Tom), along with her henchmen go in search of truth, wisdom, and the best café con leche they can find. They travel on the River Duero until they get to the Meseta, using Jacobtrans and cell phones for secret messages. Finally, after a month, they realize they only had to click their heels together three times and repeat "There's No Place Like Rome" and their journey ended.
Spielberg, eat your heart out.

However my wife says I'm 100% El Ramón. :confused:

My sister and I met Ramon’s ghost in Rabanal.
We had bought food and a bottle of wine, then went to an albergue.
The door creaked as we gently pushed it open.
Nobody around.
It was very dark, with a low ceiling.
Then we heard laughter above us.
And some giggling.
“Hola!” we called out.
Silence.
Then more strange and ghostly creaks and groans.
We looked at each other and whispered “this is Ramon’s place!”.
We legged it out of there and didn’t stop until we got to Foncebadon just as it was getting dark
. . . . and heard the wolves howling
(just kidding . . . about the last bit).
:D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'd like to see myself as a mix of Tom's enlightened self, Joost's heart and Jack's wit... However my wife says I'm 100% El Ramón. :confused:
Jack was a major pain in the butt!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, even after the wise and admonishing words in this thread about just being the person one is without the encumbrance of identifying with a fictional character, I'm going with Jack. He's crazy(ish). Check. He's a bit daft about a lot of things. Check. He's struggling to find his creative side. Check. He needs to idle down. Check. He wants (is told) to be honest about the story of which he is a part. Check. But mostly it's the being crazy(ish) part I identify with.
You forgot to mention that Jack was selfish, a bore and arrogant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am the hospitalero torero fighting bulls with the table cloths while no one is looking (except Tom). He was practicing his artistry in his spare time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've been thinking about this for a while. I think that there's a challenge built into 'The Wizard Of Oz'. Who would dare admit to identifying with the wizard? The timid and deceitful wizard. He maintains authority by generating fear. Is there a corresponding character in 'The Way'? I was disappointed in Estevez when he said he modelled his characters on Dorothy and the lion, the tin man, the scarecrow. Simplistic, I thought. A bit cheesy.

There's a lot of darkness and scariness in the original story. A richly developed and populated darkness.

Hovering over "The Way", is death. The fear of not being. Ego. The wizard. Me.

The yellow brick road is the camino which can lead you off to see the wizard. Then pull back that curtain and say hello. The way home is to see the wizard for the flimflam that he is and to leave him behind. Then the adventure begins.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Edit: P.S.,"I may have the gift of prophesy and understand all mysteries, but if I am without love, I am nothing."

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Mike Trebert, post: 500493, member: 52084
I'm drawn to films with Sheen in them, he often seems to be attracted to projects with spiritual themes. An essential goodness seems to come out of him.
[/QUOTE]

I agree @Mike Trebert I remember seeing him play the lead in Kramer's 'The Normal Heart' at a theatre in London early 80s at the start of the AIDS epidemic when attitudes to sexuality were a lot different from today. It was a magical and moving performance and again showed the humanity of the man.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back