• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Identifying / misidentifying gear

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
About to head off on my first Camino next week.

I think my walking shoes (salomon), poles(black diamond) and backpack(osprey) are going to be pretty common items. Are there any problems with people accidentally taking the wrong gear when you have to leave them in a common area or outside?

I have a crappy memory too and recollect plenty of time wasted looking for ski poles after long lunches skiing so I will be tagging my pack and poles, not sure what to do with the shoes. Any other tips or don't I need to think about this?
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a crappy memory too and recollect plenty of time wasted looking for ski poles after long lunches skiing so I will be tagging my pack and poles, not sure what to do with the shoes. Any other tips or don't I need to think about this?
Buen Camino

Perhaps use some bright colored fingernail polish and dip the tips of your shoestrings into them.
Or go to a Craft store like Michael's or Joann's and buy some fabric paint and put your name on the shoes on the heel or ??

One of my pilgrims DID pick up the wrong shoes on a dark morning leaving SJPP.
They were the same style and size.
She didn't realize until she squatted to urinate miles up the trail that she had the wrong shoes.
She looked for her own shoes at SJPP, hoping to apologize, but never found them.
She wore the wrong shoes the rest of the Way.

It does happen.

I tag my poles with colored duct tape, which also can come in quite handy. I just roll a foot or so around the tops of the poles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I attach a short nylon ribbon to all my gear, on top of the backpack, side of the frontpack, hiking poles, middle eyelets of my hiking shoes, all using the same bright color. I do the same to my luggage during my travels. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My name is on my rain poncho, pack has a streamer with a hand painted design on silk. The hiking sandals will go into the ziplock bags that my evening sandals come out of, and into the pack. If the sandals are wet I will use a piece of medipore tape to put them together. Poles will go in the back pack in their bag.

Probably should write my name on the back of my cell phone case.

I opt for brightly coloured elastic shoe laces so that even in the dark they will feel different to most other laces. Though I doubt anyone would want my shoes. :p:p:p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The number of Merrell Moabs sitting on Albergue shoe racks will horrify you . '' All made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same'' to paraphrase an old school song .
I used a light steel cable[ no thicker than a knitting needle] and a simple combination lock to secure mine together . Hardly any weight to carry but a huge weight of anxiety lifted .
There were only a few occasions when my shoes were not picked up or shifted from their original location in the caffeine bereft , befuddled mornings . At least some took the time to double check if the shoes they were picking up were actually theirs .
I shudder to think of how painful it would be to have to walk 30km in someone else's undersized shoes .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my first Canino I walked with a fellow who was the last one to leave his albergue a few days earlier and grabbed his Merrill Moabs, the last pair left on the rack. As he walked along that day he felt his toes rubbing the front with blisters forming and discovered he had the wrong shoes. The next day he told a new acquaintance his story and that man said he'd run into a guy yesterday who told the same story, only that person's Merrill Moabs were sloppy huge and he realized he'd grabbed the wrong shoes...well, through some confusion figuring out where each person was staying, a taxi ride brought them together and they were able to exchange the shoes...a small Camino miracle! :D

I think my walking shoes (salomon), poles(black diamond) and backpack(osprey) are going to be pretty common items. Are there any problems with people accidentally taking the wrong gear when you have to leave them in a common area or outside?

Buen Camino
Poles are the most common just put some colorful tape on. Either way the other persons poles are usually there for you... lol

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My REI towel was taken from a clothes line and one very similiar , the color differed slightly was left for me. An accident I am certain. Now I use scarves as towels so that is no longer an issue...

My REI towel was taken from a clothes line and one very similiar , the color differed slightly was left for me. An accident I am certain. Now I use scarves as towels so that is no longer an issue...
I was given a tip on this forum to use infant thin flannel towels. I have a few collected at resale shops for $1 US each. They absorb water really well and dry by morning hanging on the bunk footboard. No one mistakes mine for theirs, but if they knew how great they work, how lightweight, and tiny they fold up...they just might snatch mine up when I'm not looking! o_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino
I haven't used them but I do carry a trekking pole. I have put bands of reflective tape on it for safety. This might help with identification...... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA

I have a Brother label maker. You can get a tape for clothing/material applications - you print, apply and lightly iron - it even stands up to a hot wash.
I just put my name and mobile phone number on them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Used very obvious duct tape (leopard print in rainbow colors) on our poles, and bright colored carabinera through the back heel loops on hiking shors/boots and throughpole loops to keep all items together and identifiable.

We got permanent markers and colourfully 'decorated' our shoes. Each night my daughter and I tied one of each of our shoes together and stored them in different locations. So, 2 different colours, 2 different shoes, which where 2 different sizes. No one mistakenly took them and no one wanted to steal them :)

When all the shoes/boots are covered with the same colour dust from the same road, they look the same regardless the size or brand, or markings. You just can't see any, especially early morning without coffee and no light. Remember that some people leave practically around midnight.

€60,-
Used very obvious duct tape (leopard print in rainbow colors) on our poles, and bright colored carabinera through the back heel loops on hiking shors/boots and throughpole loops to keep all items together and identifiable.
At last! A use for those colour carabiners that seem to come attached to all my gadgets - I might even use that at home - SO embarassing arriving at the Sunday hike to find you have odd boots!

I walked the CP and only three times did I have to leave my boots in the common area rack. I did the following to try to avoid confusion:

- laced them together
- put a clothes peg in the laces
- kept them suspiciously close to other two pairs, my boyfriend's and my brother's

And never had an issue. In the rest of the places I would put them under my bunk or my companion's bunk. And I was hoping to see a lot of similar boots (Salomon), but maybe that's not a very popular brand around these parts.

Regarding the backpack, it was always next to my bunk and I sewed two very bright reflector tapes to all of our backpacks so no confusions there! The poles were left folded always within the straps of the backpack and in the only night I left them hanged, we put a clothes peg joining the three poles we carried. Because if I did not see many boots like mine, the same kind of poles were seen everywhere (the cheapest ones from a popular sports chain shop - Decathlon - here in the Peninsula and in France also, I reckon).

...Each night my daughter and I tied one of each of our shoes together and stored them in different locations. So, 2 different colours, 2 different shoes, which where 2 different sizes. No one mistakenly took them and no one wanted to steal them :)

Loved this idea! Will be doing that in the future :)

Buen Camino
Shoes boots do get taken by mistake. I've heard people try to justify it, but i would not be happy.
I always tied my boot laces together in a bow, stood the insoles up sticking out of the boot to air (a lot of people do this) and if i hadn't washed my socks that day i'd leave them hanging out the top to air too. Or i'd put my clean next day socks hanging out of the boots ready to wear.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I put my name on everything I wear. And, I put it where anyone can read it. Why...well when I was nine and was sent off to camp for the first time...my mom bought new t-shirts, wind breaker, shorts, flip flop, nice walking boots, long trousers, full ditty bag, underwear, nice shirt for church, raincoat and bug spray. When I returned home I was wearing someone else’s t-shirt (too large), shorts and flip flops. In my bag...a wet pair of swim shorts.

Missing undies...there I was...Longrono albergue...bunks cheek by jowl. The bunk above moves ever so slowly...it was 05:00.
First, one long leg stretches downward. Finding purchase on the lip of my bunk the remaining form drops lightly to the floor. Gear in hand disappearing down the aisle...not to return. There was a group of high school aged boys and girls occupying the center row and I could see a young boy craning his head around to see who was moving about. Seconds later he jumps down and, with precious little pause, jumps right back up.
A bit later as the majority of pilgrims don their gear to depart, I saw the school kids assemble for a head count. The leader was losing his cool as he attempts to gain the attention of one particular ring of boys. Looking over I see a walking stick being pumped into the air...fastened to its end a dainty, bright red thong.

€60,-
Missing undies...there I was...Longrono albergue...bunks cheek by jowl. The bunk above moves ever so slowly...it was 05:00.
First, one long leg stretches downward. Finding purchase on the lip of my bunk the remaining form drops lightly to the floor. Gear in hand disappearing down the aisle...not to return. There was a group of high school aged boys and girls occupying the center row and I could see a young boy craning his head around to see who was moving about. Seconds later he jumps down and, with precious little pause, jumps right back up.
A bit later as the majority of pilgrims don their gear to depart, I saw the school kids assemble for a head count. The leader was losing his cool as he attempts to gain the attention of one particular ring of boys. Looking over I see a walking stick being pumped into the air...fastened to its end a dainty, bright red thong.
Hmmm, I thought @Arn was a man, but with the missing red thong I'm thinking possibly woman. :)

Those were NOT mine! :p:p:p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.