• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you were starting 90km shy of SJPdP

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
If you were starting roughly 90km away from Saint Jean, which spot would you pick? Preferably somewhere that is easily accessed by public transport (be that train or bus) and has somewhere to sleep for a night before walking too far)

As I would be coming from NZ, anywhere is OK - I can fly into Paris or Madrid or anywhere!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shy of SJPdP? Do you mean in France (890 km from Santiago) or in Spain (710 km from Santiago)?

Puente La Reina Spain is about 90 km from SJPdP (710km from Santiago) at the junction with the camino Aragones.

Aire-sur-l'Adour in the Landes France is on the camino that starts in Le Puy and puts you about 162 from SJPdP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bayonne, France is roughly 60km from SJPdP. From there you might walk the Voie de la Nive to SJPdP. For more information on the Voie de la Nive including accommodation see >> http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?rubrique640. This is the website of the Amis du chemin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, Pyrenees-Atlantiques.

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for those responses. Anyone have an opinion on Dax? Is there an "official" route from there or would you need to stick to the main road?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wonder if it wouldn't help to share some more about your plans. Why 90km? Are you planning to cover X km in the course of Y days? Where do you plan to stop walking after how much time? Why 90km and not some other number?

The Bayonne suggestion sounds reasonable to me, but we have little context to go on.

--Bill

The GR655 goes from Dax to Ostabat. It will have the red and white balises marking it.

billmclaughlin said:
I wonder if it wouldn't help to share some more about your plans. Why 90km? Are you planning to cover X km in the course of Y days? Where do you plan to stop walking after how much time? Why 90km and not some other number?

The Bayonne suggestion sounds reasonable to me, but we have little context to go on.

--Bill

My conditions:
1) finish in Santiago
2) cover 1000km

The route I have plotted out incorporating some Frances, Primitivo, some Norte etc comes to 910km. Of course, walking out to Finisterre would fill the miles, but see point 1) above.

Hope that helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is roughly 50 km from Dax to Bayonne, A pleasant walk would be to follow the Voie Vert or Green Route along an old rr line between the two. Read another Forum member, Lovingkindness, detailed description of the VV at >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/the-vezelay-route/topic11067.html/.
Margaret Meredith

Google maps says the walking distance from Dax to SJPdP is 80 km, but the plotted path does not follow the GR, so it will be a bit longer.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back