• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Improved train service from Paris

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
A new section of high-speed railway is being inaugurated tomorrow in western France, to Bordeaux, which will lower travel times on the day trains to the Basque Country by more than an hour. Paris to Bordeaux will be roughly 2 hours instead of the current 3. This will also lower travel times to Pau (near Oloron - Somport) and to Lourdes by the same amount. Travel time from Paris to Bayonne will be quicker by about 20%, travel time 3h54

The old night train sadly is being cancelled, and prices on the day train will go up by roughly 10% to Bayonne for example, so that it will be pricier, including no more option to sleep on the train instead of in a hotel, but the lowered travel times will make getting to SJPP or Oloron or Lourdes or wherever from Paris easier to organise as a day journey, which will likely benefit most pilgrims flying in to Paris and planning to start at SJPP.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
including no more option to sleep on the train instead of in a hotel

Actually, there is still an option of a night train from Paris-Austerlitz to Toulouse, then change there for an early morning train to the Basque Country -- it's the night train all the way there that's running for the last time tonight

Does anyone yet know if this improved timing will also apply to the Gare Montparnasse - Bayonne, direct TGV trains? There are, at present two main routes, one is direct, Montparnasse to Bayonne. The other requires a correspondence or change at Bordeaux.

Thanks for the OP. It is very useful to know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone yet know if this improved timing will also apply to the Gare Montparnasse - Bayonne, direct TGV trains?

Yes -- this is the very route being directly impacted by these speed improvements.

I just booked the train from Montparnasse to Bayonne to SJPP. The TGV leaves Montparnasse at 07:52 arrives 11:47. The local train to SJPP leaves Bayonne at 12:01 arrives at 12:59.

A new section of high-speed railway is being inaugurated tomorrow in western France, to Bordeaux, which will lower travel times on the day trains to the Basque Country by more than an hour. Paris to Bordeaux will be roughly 2 hours instead of the current 3. This will also lower travel times to Pau (near Oloron - Somport) and to Lourdes by the same amount. Travel time from Paris to Bayonne will be quicker by about 20%, travel time 3h54

The old night train sadly is being cancelled, and prices on the day train will go up by roughly 10% to Bayonne for example, so that it will be pricier, including no more option to sleep on the train instead of in a hotel, but the lowered travel times will make getting to SJPP or Oloron or Lourdes or wherever from Paris easier to organise as a day journey, which will likely benefit most pilgrims flying in to Paris and planning to start at SJPP.
Thankyou for sharing this info JabbaPapa.....I have shared it across some of the Australian Facebook goups. Camino Hugs...Susanawee

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back