• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Improvising one's accommodations - is that crazy talk?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Hi, everyone.

I'm about a week away from setting foot on the Camino Portugues, most likely a combination of the coastal and central. Looking through some posts, I'm starting to fee like most pilgrims are deciding in advance, sometimes well in advance, where they'll be staying. Is that a false impression? Or is my idea of improvising, and deciding in the moment (or maybe with a couple of hours warning to possible accommodations) simply crazy talk?

Thanks as always,

L

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, everyone.

I'm about a week away from setting foot on the Camino Portugues, most likely a combination of the coastal and central. Looking through some posts, I'm starting to fee like most pilgrims are deciding in advance, sometimes well in advance, where they'll be staying. Is that a false impression? Or is my idea of improvising, and deciding in the moment (or maybe with a couple of hours warning to possible accommodations) simply crazy talk?

Thanks as always,

L

No Lorne,

Ir is not crazy to improvise.
Some indeed start with everything prepared and booked.
Others book daily because they know how many kilometres they can handle.
And still lots of pilgrims just see where to end up each day.

Enjoy the Portugues!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in November, so numbers were not an issue. I only booked my first night in Orbitur campsite in Angeiras. Nice chalet and pilgrim discount but you must book by email NOT by booking.com. Recommended highly.
Thereafter as usual I had only the vaguest plan of where I would go to any night. And never had a problem, though as I said November was quiet. The weather was fantastic!
It does seem to be rather busy right now which may require a *bit* of planning.;)
I'm jealous, even though I'm on Madrid Camino right now.
Have a wonderful time! Tim

I did the Portugues over Easter, which was crazy busy from Tui onwards. After Tui, I had to reserve one place in advance and had to go searching for a pension in Padron after trying 3 different albergues which could not accommodate 3 of us. Otherwise I prefer to improvise. I would hope its alot quieter now. As many other have said on this forum, best thing to do is to reach your destination around 1-2pm. Buen Camino.

Hi, everyone.

Thanks as always,

L
Depending on the weatherforecast you could decide to walk the coastal or directly the central route.
If there is rain or strong wind, I prefer the central above the coastal.
If the weather improves you allways can jump over to the coastal e.g at Casa Fernanda.take the bus from Balugães or the train from Baroselas to Viana do Castelo and walk from there along the coastal to Vigo and Redondela.
Or walk from Valença do Minho or Tui to Caminha or A Guarda and continhue from there to Vigo and Redondela.
Decide 3 kms after Pontevedra to walk north to Caldas de Reis or to Vila Nova de Arousa (Variante Espiritual)
In May generally there is no need to reserve your bed in advance so the choice is up to you what to do.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, everyone.

Thanks as always,

L

Most pilgrims never plan including me and no problems. Exception santiago

Hey guys,

Starting my first camino from Porto on Friday. Any last minute necessities I may need to have if I don't already? Is a tent a good idea or it would just add useless weight to the bag?

Cheers,
Ryan

Camino Portugues from Lisbon( costal option ) completed today( 8.5.-17 . 12.00).
Only booked in advance the big cities ( by Booking.com). From Redondela on the Xunta albergues have been completely full, but in other accomdations there has been always beds for us.
Time to relax and enjoy the atmosphere in Santiago after 4'th camino.
Buen Camino and thank's to all camino friends we have met.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Live life on the Camino free and easy? Are you nuts? You must absolutely control and plan every aspect of your Camino so it closely resembles your life at home. Otherwise, your Camino experience could teach you dangerous concepts like: (1) being spontaneous is fun and rewarding, (2) you don't have to look at your smart phone every three minutes, and (3) the pursuit of material goods has nothing to do with happiness.

So get online and book every room. Plan every meal. Leave nothing, and I mean nothing, to chance. Who knows what could happen if you lived in the moment. Just of thought of that makes me shiver in fear.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Starting my first camino from Porto on Friday. Any last minute necessities I may need to have if I don't already? Is a tent a good idea or it would just add useless weight to the bag?

Cheers,
Ryan
In Portugal wild camping is forbidden. There are not many campings on your way.
One in Angeiras just outside Porto, one just before Vila do Conde and if you follow the coast some at the seaside towns and villages.
If you follow the central route you will be disappointed. Only one nearby Ponte de Lima about 5 kms from the caminho path.
In Spain most campings you will find at the coastline, far from the caminho. Leave your tent at home I should say.

In Portugal wild camping is forbidden. There are not many campings on your way.
One in Angeiras just outside Porto, one just before Vila do Conde and if you follow the coast some at the seaside towns and villages.
If you follow the central route you will be disappointed. Only one nearby Ponte de Lima about 5 kms from the caminho path.
In Spain most campings you will find at the coastline, far from the caminho. Leave your tent at home I should say.

Thank you for your response. For sure won't bring it now.
Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the question about booking ahead depends on a number of things. I prefer not to book, even though I am fairly certain how far I will (or can ) walk. However, if I know I have a day of 40kms plus then I do prefer to book as I don't really have the option to walk on. Ultimately,I can and will sleep in a doorway but it's not the best idea!

...As many other have said on this forum, best thing to do is to reach your destination around 1-2pm. Buen Camino.

Thanks, David and everyone else for your input. But reach your destination by 1-2 pm? I'm a slow but steady walker. If I arrive by 4-6 pm, would that do?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you walk until 6 pm when will you was your clothes?
Hi, Trecile. I've not walked the Portugues or any other camino yet, so I'm not sure I understand your comment. Is that to say that it's not possible to wash one's clothes at albergues in the evening? What about other types of accommodations?

Thanks,

LorneB

Hi, Trecile. I've not walked the Portugues or any other camino yet, so I'm not sure I understand your comment. Is that to say that it's not possible to wash one's clothes at albergues in the evening? What about other types of accommodations?

Thanks,

LorneB
Certainly you can wash your clothes at 6 pm, but they may not get dry.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone.

Thanks as always,

L

€46,-
Olá,

we highly recommend to make a reservation for Parque de Campismo de Angeiras if you want to stay in our nice bungalows. From Mai to September many pilgrims stay with us. Email to: infoangeiras@orbitur.pt with all data for reservation, not for booking! Please don´t forget the magic word pilgrim and never book on a booking side!

We should also know if you want a mobile camp without shower and toilet or a fully equiped bungalow.

Bom caminho

Rainer, hospitaleiro in Angeiras

I leave next Friday and do not plan on booking ahead. I prefer to just see where my feet take me. Although last year on the CF, once we hit Sarria and the hordes of people, we booked ahead but Im not sure it was entirely necessary but more for peace of mind. Really, I like to just see how I feel every day. Some days Ill walk further, some shorter and I like to take my time so arriving at 1pm usually does not happen. I am prepared to stay in private hotels if necessary but really I think part of the experience is just going with the flow. I plan enough in my real life. So excited! Hope to see some of your out on the trail. Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back