• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxia first or Fisterra?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm sure I asked this before but can't find the post/thread. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.....

I'll be in Santiago in a few days and want to continue on to fisterra and muxia.

I'm just wondering which way to go. Muxia first and end in fisterra, or the other way around.

I've been to muxia before...by Bus. Loved it and think it a fitting place to end my Camino. Though I have not been to Fisterra.

What are the pros and cons?

Only factor really, is I prefer to walk 20-25 km days. Closer to 20 where possible. Over 25 and I have foot and knee problems..... And i'm not really bothered about any social stuff. I mostly walk alone and am comfortable staying in places on my own. Not anti social! Just comfortable being alone if it happens.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No, you asked it before and got a sensible answer which I’ve also forgotten. I’m only replying because it’s much easier to find threads with my own posts.

I think the answer was Finisterre first.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quoting @peregrina2000:

I have walked Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia, Santiago to Finisterre (no Muxia), Santiago to Muxia (no Finisterre) and Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre, and the last option is my favorite. I do a four day walk from Santiago to Vilaserio (GREAT albergue in Casa Vella) to Dumbría (not to be missed albergue and the nicest people in town that you can imagine) to Muxía to Finisterre.

No, you asked it before and got a sensible answer which I’ve also forgotten. I’m only replying because it’s much easier to find threads with my own posts.

I think the answer was Finisterre first.
You're right. I found it. Apologies.
Thread 'Muxia - Finisterre - Santiago?' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/muxia-finisterre-santiago.76229/

Mods, feel free to delete this thread, though the question before was more about walking back to Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don’t think we need to delete this thread. New opinions always surface on old topics.

But it might be helpful to link to some of the earlier discussions of this and related topics: Here. Here. Here. Here. Here. Here

I never thought this through carefully before I walked, I just made my decision based on who else was going where and how many days I had. But now looking back at all the permutations I have done, I would choose Santiago - Muxia -Finisterre as my favorite. But that doesn’t mean I’ll do it again next time, because the other things really are more important drivers, IMHO.

The two routes are the same up to the old factory at a place called Hospital, about 5 km after Olveiroa. So one thing that might make the decision easier is if you compare Hospital to Finisterre with Hospital to Muxia, because you will have to omit one of those two parts unless you walk the complete circle from Santiago to Santiago via Finisterre and Muxia.

Hospital to Finisterre has a dramatic arrival at the headlands where you can see the ocean extended in front of you, and then at some point after Corcubión, you walk along the beach for kms.

Hospital to Muxia doesn’t have any beach walking, except at the very end, but has the pretty grand xunta albergue in Dumbría (funded by the owner of Zara) and there is also a fine romanesque church in Moraime. There may be more road walking on this than the other, but always on untraveled roads. Several little hamlets that survive by the skin of their teeth.

I don’t think there’s any difference at all between walking from Finisterre to Muxia and Muxia to Finisterre. Very little coastal walking unless you leave the camino as some do.

I don’t know why, but I think my favorite has been to end in Finisterre after going to Muxia. It is much more touristy, but there’s something about that lighthouse. But if I had to choose between only going to Finisterre or only to Muxia, I would choose Muxia, I think, so go figure.

So you will have to let us know what you decide to do!

I've done the Fisterra both ways, but I'll definitely walk to Finisterre first and finish in Muxia next time. I loved the small towns of Cee and Corcubin, along with their absolutely delicious top-notch restaurants with all kinds of seafood (that isn't available along the Dumbria route) and wouldn't want to miss them again. Also, finishing at sleepy Muxia, I'd stay again at the isolated very peaceful Parador - the perfect place to reflect upon yet another Camino walked.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Robo, I think you would enjoy Muxia last.
That was a quick post to beat the thread being locked. I'll add a bit more now. The short form of my thoughts on Finisterre and Muxia is that Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation.

I walked to Muxia first than continued to Finisterre. I walked solo and avoided the Camino family things as I am a pretty solo type introvert person and I walked in my mind as a spiritual pilgrimage. So for me Muxia was perfect. It was quiet, lying on the rocks watching the sunset over the ocean was truly the icing on my cake ending of my pilgrimage. I walked to Finisterre after it was nice but it was sort of touristy crowded feel and anticlimactic but I am glad I did. If I ever walk again I may go to Finisterre first and continue to Muxia.

Depending on how fast I progress on the way, I will go to Fisterra only end of may ... or first Muxia and then Fisterra. I do not exactly know why. But it seems as Fisterra is more touristy and more to do there (been there 2019) it is the perfect place for me to relax and stroll through. I already booked two nights there. Muxia however, to me seems the perfect stopover for one night. But then, everyone is different ... and I am in much less need for quietness and peace as that is something I have plentiful at home ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm definitely in the camp to end in Muxía, because it is a contemplative and quiet place, more suitable for an ending, than the busy and touristy Fisterra, for me.

Plus the views from the Mirador de Fisterra, after the town of Sardiñeiro, are fabulous! You would miss this amazing stretch from Cee to Fisterra, with the mentioned amazing views, and if course, a final long walk along the beach. More dramatic than the beach approach into Muxía, but that is nice too!

Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked to both. I personally liked Muxia more because it is mellower. Spent a few days there 2 years ago and then walked on to FInisterre. I liked that. It was mid December so Finisterre was pretty mellow also. Not crowded like earlier in the year. It is a great walk to the lighthouse in Finisterre. It is much more dramatic than walking through town in Muxia to the church. Both have their own wonderment and happiness. The walk from Santiago is special I think. If it was earlier in the year with more tourists and pilgrims I might think of going to FInisterre first. Stay a night and go on to Muxia and spend a few contemplative and mellow days there.

We've just walked Santiago to Fisterre then on to Muxia arriving yesterday, Sunday.
The walk from Fisterre to Muxia is so peaceful and beautiful.

Note: if you wish to receive a Compostela for this route you need to have walked from Muxia to arrive in Santiago to qualify.

A Fisterrana certificate is available from Fisterre tourist office. A Muxianna certificate available at Muxia tourist office for those who walk from Finistere to Muxia via Lires.
Tourist office is closed on Sundays, you can email them a photo of your stamped credential and they will send you the certificate. We have yet to see whether this works.
Having also been advised that some albergues were authorised to issue the certificate this is no longer possible, we tried !

I went to Muxia the first year and will be heading back there this year. Not really sure I will do Fisterra. The chapel at Muxia with the sea nearby was more interesting and contemplative. That was the end of that journey I did, that year. When i finish I just want some peace and quiet, plus some time for myself to think and process. Muxia is definitely my preference for finishing. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A Muxianna certificate available at Muxia tourist office for those who walk from Finistere to Muxia via Lires
Good heads up on the Muxiana. For those who are collecting these certificates, if you want the Muxiana, you have to get a stamp in Lires if you walk Finisterre to Muxia. If you walk via Dumbria, I think you’re fine if you have your stamp from Dumbria. But apparently there are people who walk to Finisterre, take a cab from Finisterre to Muxia and then want the certificate. I did see that once, people hopping out of a cab, going in to get a stamp in the Lires café, and hopping back in the cab to carry on. I never have figured out how that method provides any satisfaction for those who want the Muxiana.

But in any event, I believe that you must walk from Santiago to Muxia to be eligible for the certificate, not just Finisterre to Muxia. Can others confirm that?

I don't recall anyone pointing out about the historical significance of the Camino. For thousands of years and long before the importance of the Camino de Santiago people have been following the setting sun heading west to the end of the World, Cape Finisterre. So you can retrace this history Go West to Fisterra ! Then yes Muxía has significant historical importance in relation to the Camíno de Santiago, so go there after. Six stages should be fine for your purposes. But as others have pointed out it's entirely up to you.

I went to Muxia first for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to end at Finisterre which was once considered the "end of the world" and 2) there are more buses per day from Finisterre back to Santiago - so I thought it made sense to end there.

I will never do it that way again! Muxia was just so quiet, peaceful, serene. It was the perfect place to end and enjoy the beauty. Then I walked to Finisterre which was busy and loud. It was kind of like doing an 700km of Camino and hitting that last 100km of Sarria to Santiago crowds. You are relaxed and introspective then you suddenly hit the crowds and it feels a bit chaotic. I did that my first Camino (Frances) and Sarria to Santiago took me out of my peace and tranquility to chaos... then Santiago to Muxia put me back into that peace and tranquilty... then Finisterre took me back out of it.

I now look at Finisterre as the place to go to first.... to celebrate your accomplishments, then Muxia last... to rejuvenate.

There is no wrong answer - but this is what I will do going forward and why! Also - you will say goodbye to most of your friends in Santiago. And goodbye to the rest of your friends in Finisterre. Even fewer people walk to Muxia - so you are more likely to do that alone. And walking to Muxia first - nobody I walked with walked to Muxia first so that was completely with different people and I didn't form any connections going that direction.

A Fisterrana certificate is available from Fisterre tourist office. A Muxianna certificate available at Muxia tourist office for those who walk from Finistere to Muxia via Lires.
Tourist office is closed on Sundays, you can email them a photo of your stamped credential and they will send you the certificate. We have yet to see whether this works.
Yes - you can also do the reverse - walk to Muxia first from Santiago and get your stamps each day, and then walk Muxia to Lires to Finisterre, getting your stamps along the way, to get the Fisterrana.

And yes - you can get your final stamp at your albergue in Muxia. Email them your passport and your credential showing your stamps on the way to Muxia from either direction - and they will mail you your Muxiana. I have done this and got it pretty quickly. To that end - I did the same with my Fisterrana because I missed the tourist office hours and things were confusing due to COVID/2021.

Finisterre first (nice, busy and more touristy), then Muxia, a lovely quiet place with a gentle 'thin place' vibe. A nice place to finish.
100 percent agree!

Muxia last Sunday was busy!!
Many families out eating Sunday lunch , Mother's day
Coach parties a plenty visiting the rocks.
I'm sure it's more calm on a week day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm sure I asked this before but can't find the post/thread. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.....

I'll be in Santiago in a few days and want to continue on to fisterra and muxia.

I'm just wondering which way to go. Muxia first and end in fisterra, or the other way around.

I've been to muxia before...by Bus. Loved it and think it a fitting place to end my Camino. Though I have not been to Fisterra.

Only factor really, is I prefer to walk 20-25 km days. Closer to 20 where possible. Over 25 and I have foot and knee problems..... And i'm not really bothered about any social stuff. I mostly walk alone and am comfortable staying in places on my own. Not anti social! Just comfortable being alone if it happens.
I walked from Santiago to Muxia last year after completing the Camino Frances. Signage was good. People walking from Muxia to Santiago (having gone to Fisterra first) were quite frustrated with the signage. Based on this I'd recommend Santiago, Muxia, Fisterra.

I walked from Santiago to Muxia last year after completing the Camino Frances. Signage was good. People walking from Muxia to Santiago (having gone to Fisterra first) were quite frustrated with the signage. Based on this I'd recommend Santiago, Muxia, Fisterra.

After walking the Norte last year I then walked to Muxia then Finisterre and I remembered thinking how much I enjoyed the walk.
This year I walked to Finisterre first then Muxia and realised why I enjoyed it so much last year; it's mostly down hill.
After having walked the VdlP and most of the Sanabres this year, before turning off to Padron and Noia, the last thing my mind and body wanted to see were more uphill sections!!!
I'm currently in Negriera before finishing my Camino in Santiago and I hope it's a long time before I see another hill.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just completed the Santiago to Fisterra to Muxia to Santiago loop, enabling me to obtain a compostela, so here are my thoughts. Like most, I like the Fisterra before Muxia option.
Note that while the Fisterranna is still available from the Tourist Office there, the Muxiannna is no longer available from the Muxia Tourist Office. It is only available from the town hall (Concello) open 9am-2pm, Mon thru Fri only. Otherwise, it is the mail in option. I don’t know if this will change in the summer months.
Yes, following the route from Muxia back towards Santiago is difficult: I suggest downloading a track of route, but, at least, you are never too far from the highway if, like I did, you get off the route, so it is easy to get back on.
I did do the full 32 km from Muxia to Olveiroa and I was lucky it was overcast and not too hot. I wouldn’t want to do the full 32 on a bad weather day (heat or rain) as there is much hill climbing, probably why most people do it in the other direction.

I just completed the Santiago to Fisterra to Muxia to Santiago loop, enabling me to obtain a compostela, so here are my thoughts. Like most, I like the Fisterra before Muxia option.
Note that while the Fisterranna is still available from the Tourist Office there, the Muxiannna is no longer available from the Muxia Tourist Office. It is only available from the town hall (Concello) open 9am-2pm, Mon thru Fri only. Otherwise, it is the mail in option. I don’t know if this will change in the summer months.
Yes, following the route from Muxia back towards Santiago is difficult: I suggest downloading a track of route, but, at least, you are never too far from the highway if, like I did, you get off the route, so it is easy to get back on.
I did do the full 32 km from Muxia to Olveiroa and I was lucky it was overcast and not too hot. I wouldn’t want to do the full 32 on a bad weather day (heat or rain) as there is much hill climbing, probably why most people do it in the other direction.
I stayed in the Muxia Mare hostel three nights ago and when I asked the person on reception if I could still get the Muxianna from the town hall, the receptionist said she could write one out for me and she did it there and then. I don't know if other albergues can do it too.

Absolutely fistera first and muxia second. I am 100 percent please with my decision to do it this way. I did 4 days santiago to fistera and 2 days on to muxia.

Ive tried emailing the Muxia Tourist Office 3 times to obtain a Muxianna. I will try the Concello next, thanks for your information.
I stayed in the Muxia Mare hostel three nights ago and when I asked the person on reception if I could still get the Muxianna from the town hall, the receptionist said she could write one out for me and she did it there and then. I don't know if other albergues can do it too.
Last Sunday we asked at 2 albergues one private one municipal and both said they no longer issue Muxianna certificates.
Although we'd walked the necessary route/ kms we had to change plans due to bus strike (which in the event, didn't happen)and bus back to Santiago that day.

Muxia to end via Finisterre. Perfect end as not as busy an dless commercialised.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m for Finisterra first. Reason being that I loved the town of Cee and the day walking to it was beautiful. The day from Cee to Finisterra is a beautiful walk and short (14km I think) which gives you enough time in the day to also walk from Finisterre to the cape and back.

The walk between Finisterre and Muxia is a long day (32 Km I think?) so if you walk from Muxia you would need to walk to the cape the next day. There is an Albergue in a town (forget the name) about the halfway point between finisterra and Muxia that allows you to break up the day

I've walked between Muxia and Finesterre two times and stay overnight in Lires; a perfect halfway point. It's a quiet, lovely town with a short walk to the sea, and a bar looking out over the water.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked between Muxia and Finesterre two times and stay overnight in Lires; a perfect halfway point. It's a quiet, lovely town with a short walk to the sea, and a bar looking out over the water.
Exactly what I was going to say! That arvo & night spent in Lires was one of my favourites; it makes the highlights reel of all my walks...I loved it.
If your stroll along the Ría de Lires from town to the beach occurs on the outgoing tide, you could be witness to quite a spectacle as seabirds 🐦have a feeding frenzy on fish 🐟 caught in the shallows.
👣🌏

That was a quick post to beat the thread being locked. I'll add a bit more now. The short form of my thoughts on Finisterre and Muxia is that Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation
That was a quick post to beat the thread being locked. I'll add a bit more now. The short form of my thoughts on Finisterre and Muxia is that Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation
That was a quick post to beat the thread being locked. I'll add a bit more now. The short form of my thoughts on Finisterre and Muxia is that Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation.
100%. This is an excellent way of putting it.

No need to walk 32km between Finistere and Muxia in one day. Take 2 days and stay in Lires mid way.View attachment 147206
I ended up walking the full 30+km from Finisterre to Muxía in one day and in hindsight, I regret not staying in Lires and enjoying the beach there. What a relief that would have been for my sore, tired feet having walked for three weeks prior. 👣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to close this out and answer my own question. (I finished 3 weeks ago)

I ended up walking Fisterra then Muxia.

Santiago to Negreira 20 kms
Santa Marina 21 kms
O Logoso 16.5 kms
Corcubion 17.8 kms
Fisterra 10. 8 kms + 6.4 return to lighthouse
Muxia 28 kms

As Fisterra to Muxia was my last day on Camino, I thought I would try it in one day.
It wasn't actually that hard. (Maybe due to the 'warm up' walking from Seville)

And a second breakfast at Lires helped! ;)

Ending in Muxia, as I suspected was a much better finish than Fisterra.
Quieter, less commercial, and it just 'felt' right.

And strangely, I didn't find the walk out to the lighthouse at Fisterra that much of a 'thing'.

Of much greater impact for me, was the final walk into Fisterra along the beach.
Now that..........felt like 'something'.
Not surprising given the history of the place. Landing place of St James , Romans, Pagans......

Last edited:
My view would be how do you want your Camino to end?

If you want to end it in quiet contemplation and nourish the spiritual part of your soul, then finish in Muxia. If you want to go out with a bang and party then finishing in Finisterre would be the better bet.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back