• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingenious tips!

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
A friend just sent me these tips - I rather like them!!
Mind you, for some of them you will need a refugio that has a freezer section in their fridge!!
Scroll for all the photos!!
The photo of the phone - put it in airplane mode and it charges in half the time!
Beer in the fridge, wrap in wet paper napkin and it cools in minutes!
Last one - if your zip won't stay up!

Buen Camino105.jpg 88.jpg 88.jpg 67.jpg 116.jpg 174.jpg 316.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've done the water bottle thing here at home for a long time and love it. The clothing thing I still want to give a whirl before we leave, but it sure looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing em!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These tips are great.

Water bottles in the freezer and not bladders? Oh Oh, I better get back to the Hydration Thread to add to the discussion about which is better, the bottle or the bladder? :) Just kidding - honest!

A friend just sent me these tips - I rather like them!!
Mind you, for some of them you will need a refugio that has a freezer section in their fridge!!
Scroll for all the photos!!
The photo of the phone - put it in airplane mode and it charges in half the time!
Beer in the fridge, wrap in wet paper napkin and it cools in minutes!
Last one - if your zip won't stay up!

Buen CaminoView attachment 13076 View attachment 13077 View attachment 13077 View attachment 13078 View attachment 13079 View attachment 13080 View attachment 13081
I see that some tips originate with the Scouts. Crafty are they.
Now, the tips on adult beverages...I currently use them all,if I have access to a freezer.
The frozen grape is an all time favorite. I especially like to soak the grapes in brandy during freezing. To me this adds some punch to the grapes as the drink of choice cools. Yummy to eat also.
Buen "keepin cool" Camino,
Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great tips! Though I wonder if it would stretch the socks out of shape? :eek:
I had the same thought. I remember my mom saying that if I just put the pairs together and folded them over rather that making a ball of them, the elastic lasts longer.
Then again, that's because I had a favorite pair and wore them all the time, thus the balled up pair remained there for weeks at a time. In the summer, I didn't wear socks.
Still, good info and comments by all.
Buen Camino,
Arn

I've used the frozen water bottle tip for many years but not on the camino.

A 2 litre "Coke" bottle or the like is ideal.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.