• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie looking for some tips

Jakewalk

Time of past OR future Camino
11-16th March
Hi Everyone - I have never walked any part of the Camino before and have made quite a last-minute plan to walk a small part of it beginning 11th of March. I have found a lot of the information online to be a little inconsistent so I thought I would come to the experts for some advice.

I plan to walk the Via de la Plata (or more if necessary) backwards ending at Sevilla. I would like to start Monday 11th of March and end Friday 15th (flexible). My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone see nay issue with the above plan
2) As I understand it, routing when going backwards can be an issue due to signage, I have downloaded Wikiloc but the ap oly seems to show portions of routes, not the whole thing, which makes planning weird. Any tips for this?
3) Where should I start(ish) to make the above plan pheasible? That's approx 5 days walking ending at Sevilla from an accessible location.
4) Will I need to book accommodation in advance at this time of year or am I able to just turn up? 11-16 March
5) What can I expect in terms of weather (temperature) I would like to take as little as possible.

For context, I am 30, physically fit, and no stranger to hikes.

Thanks in advance everyone, I hope my questions don't make me look too much of a clown ;)
Jacob

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Jakewalk , welcome to the forum.
I have no experience of the Via de la Plata, however a point for you to consider is that the Albergues may not accept you/ grant you access if you are walking backwards. Why? Because if you are not walking towards Santiago, or returning home from there, you are not considered a Pilgrim. Just something for you to consider.

For example this recent thread:

We took six days to walk from Sevilla to Zafra, which is a decent-sized city with an interesting casco (old town). There should be good transportation options to get there. You would go through some very interesting towns, including the amazing Roman ruins at Italica on the last day before entering Sevilla.

We met a couple of different people walking the Via de la Plata backwards last fall. They didn't complain about not being allowed into albergues, although I know that can happen. But their experience, except in the evenings, was almost completely solitary, since there is no opportunity to walk with anyone else heading the conventional direction.

With GPS, you should be able to follow the route without the benefit of signage. There are lots of choices for GPS tracks that show the entire route - my wife used the one provided by Gerald Kelly and I think I used Wise Pilgrim.

I can't speak to weather - we walked in the fall last year. Same for accommodations, except to let you know we booked almost nothing ahead of time in the fall, but I think the VdlP is probably a bit busier in the Spring than the fall due to the logic of most people wanting to walk from the south when it's coolest and having the weather warm as they head north to otherwise cooler areas.

This is an answer to a question you didn't ask (so take it with a grain of salt!), but there are two sets of very interesting cities within just a couple of days walk from each other on the VdlP - the pair of Mérida and Cáceres, and the pair of Salamanca and Zamora. If I was just going to do a very short stage of the VdlP without plans to come back and complete the other parts, I would choose one of those over the the walk into Sevilla. But that's just personal preference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have a look here https://www.gronze.com/via-plata#localidad-66 for suggested stages and accommodation.
As for the weather - just look at the expected weather for the next few weeks on any weather site, it's close enough that it should be accurate enough.
I don't have any specific experience with the Via de la Plata, but on the Camino Mozarabe it is very quiet right now abs you could definitely just rock up without pre-booking anything.
Just double check that that week doesn't line up with school holidays in Spain (I don't think it should) and if it doesn't I reckon you probably will be OK.
As previously mentioned, some albergues can be funny about accommodating people walking in the "opposite" direction so you may want to take that into account.
With regards to route finding - I believe there's an app for the via de la plata that should let you see where you are on the route.

@Jakewalk , welcome to the forum.
I have no experience of the Via de la Plata, however a point for you to consider is that the Albergues may not accept you/ grant you access if you are walking backwards. Why? Because if you are not walking towards Santiago, or returning home from there, you are not considered a Pilgrim. Just something for you to consider.

For example this recent thread:
Hi, thanks for the welcome!

So, in fact, is walking backwards even considered disrespectful?

Is there other accommodation available besides the Albergues?
Have a look here https://www.gronze.com/via-plata#localidad-66 for suggested stages and accommodation.
As for the weather - just look at the expected weather for the next few weeks on any weather site, it's close enough that it should be accurate enough.
I don't have any specific experience with the Via de la Plata, but on the Camino Mozarabe it is very quiet right now abs you could definitely just rock up without pre-booking anything.
Just double check that that week doesn't line up with school holidays in Spain (I don't think it should) and if it doesn't I reckon you probably will be OK.
As previously mentioned, some albergues can be funny about accommodating people walking in the "opposite" direction so you may want to take that into account.
With regards to route finding - I believe there's an app for the via de la plata that should let you see where you are on the route.

We took six days to walk from Sevilla to Zafra, which is a decent-sized city with an interesting casco (old town). There should be good transportation options to get there. You would go through some very interesting towns, including the amazing Roman ruins at Italica on the last day before entering Sevilla.

We met a couple of different people walking the Via de la Plata backwards last fall. They didn't complain about not being allowed into albergues, although I know that can happen. But their experience, except in the evenings, was almost completely solitary, since there is no opportunity to walk with anyone else heading the conventional direction.

With GPS, you should be able to follow the route without the benefit of signage. There are lots of choices for GPS tracks that show the entire route - my wife used the one provided by Gerald Kelly and I think I used Wise Pilgrim.

I can't speak to weather - we walked in the fall last year. Same for accommodations, except to let you know we booked almost nothing ahead of time in the fall, but I think the VdlP is probably a bit busier in the Spring than the fall due to the logic of most people wanting to walk from the south when it's coolest and having the weather warm as they head north to otherwise cooler areas.

This is an answer to a question you didn't ask (so take it with a grain of salt!), but there are two sets of very interesting cities within just a couple of days walk from each other on the VdlP - the pair of Mérida and Cáceres, and the pair of Salamanca and Zamora. If I was just going to do a very short stage of the VdlP without plans to come back and complete the other parts, I would choose one of those over the the walk into Sevilla. But that's just personal preference.

Careful over Easter at the end of the month. I would try to ensure I had lodging over Easter week.
This is all really useful info thank you to everyone

Sounds like it might just make life easier to start in Sevilla and go the right way. I am sure I will be able to get a bus back at some point when I am ready. Ultimately I have to end up in Sevilla as I have something arriving there.

I may take a route up to Merida or Cáceres and see where that takes me.

It's been a stressful year and I'm looking for minimal planning and maximum couuntryside ha! Which is why I'm wondering about taking accommodation spontaneously etc.

These are all good tips, thanks again everyone. If there is more - please feel free!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your explanation, jakewalk. It probably would be easier to go the normal direction. I don't think it's disrespectful to walk backwards, but few do it and there are good reasons. Walking it northward from Sevilla would give you more flexibility - if you want to walk longer or shorter distances, you would just catch a taxi or public transportation from wherever you leave off.

You'll get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful scenery and big skies. We loved the VdlP. ¡Buen camino!

No, but you should consider whether claiming to be a Pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago to gain access to places, run by volunteers whose primary motivation is supporting pilgrims going to Santiago to visit the tomb of the saint, when you clearly are not going to Santiago, will cause offense. You might want to read this page from the Pilgrim Office about the credential.

I certainly wouldn't consider it disrespectful, no. However, on the weekend I did my Hospitalero's training, and because of the current thread that I quoted above I specifically asked if it was acceptable to the organisation.
The answer was that it depended upon the rules of the Albergue that I was going to. Like most things it would be considered a judgment call - should both yourself and a pilgrim heading towards Santiago arrive late, competing for the same bed I would be expected to give that bed to the pilgrim heading to Santiago. (Because the Albergues exist specifically for these Pilgrims.)
Our group was split about 50/50 on this issue.
Personally I would try my utmost to find you a bed, however you will not be meeting me on the Camino just yet!

I think you're right, doing it in the appropriate direction is a good call ( for all the reasons given by others above).
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back