• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soft tips for new walkers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
6. Have a treat in your pack for the moment you need it. (Depending on the season it best be something that is good warm or cold). For me thats usually a can of Coke, some Oreos or some licorish / gummi bears (that the right word?). Especially good with tip #2.
Peanut butter M & Ms are reserved for the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sorry. I can't resist another story. Sometimes I feel like I'm reporting "band camp". Apologies.

So one time, after walking into Oviedo after the San Salvador, I was placed in the 'Old man room". This was sort of a unique Albergue, where the "man in charge" assigned a room based on a demographic. Couples got one room, Single women got another... and well I got stuck with the old guys.

I walked into the room and was instantly overcome by the smell of ben-gay (think warming agent for joints) and flagellance.

So I go to the window, and open it.

And then some dude says, "oh no, don't open it. We'll catch a chill."

I respected, almost barfing. But when he fell asleep, I opened it up again, just so I could breathe.

All night it was a war of window openers vs closers.

Last edited:
I walked into the room and was instantly overcome by the smell of ben-gay (think warming agent for joints) and flagellance.

So I go to the window, and open it.

And then some dude says, "oh no, don't open it. We'll catch a chill."

I presume you mean flatulence? I sincerely hope you were not sharing a room with a flaggelant?
Though I can imagine that someone would like to punish himself due to personal farting.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My personal set of rules to camino by:
1) hydrate often
2) snack often
3) never pass up a toilet (a function of numbers 1 & 2, no pun intended)
4) never pass up a bar, needed for number 3
5) never pass up a laundromat, you get clean clothes and you get to watch something that looks like TV
And
4) always stop to get out phone/camera to take a picture since you are always one wrong step from a sprained ankle/camino end.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No way! I always thought Europe had lost all its predators! I've never seen anything like that!

The ones I get worried about are the Wild Boars... :)
I've seen wild boar a couple of times on the Via de la Plata. Always in a hurry to get away from me. And at one place the hospitalero told me that a wolf had been spotted crossing the path a few hours earlier. Sadly I didn't get a glimpse of it myself. I did once hear wolves howling at night in a forest in Poland. A remarkable sound.

#?a If your familia is developing, discuss tomorrow's destination or lunch stop. You are unlikely to all walk at the same pace, at least you will be able to meet during the day.

#?b Don't forget to look up. Spain has some beautiful birds!

#?c Shade. Seek out shade for your rest breaks.

#?d If you can find safe access to a creek or river, that's a great time to give your feet a nice cool dip in the water. (A friend and I found a spot with no one around to pause. By the time we left there were 7 other pilgrims that followed our lead!)
Spain does indeed have beautiful birds. It also has vultures which are spectacular although only their parents think them beautiful. Although these peregrinos of the air do not like going to Portugal for pilgrimage! There is a reason for this.
1705185319875.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And finally, don't worry - there is always a bed somewhere.

Yes, but sometimes many miles away and not anywhere near the camino…

Usually. I was very glad for my phone's flashlight.

I take paper to the loo, not a telephone…..

In 2024 anyone using those horrid poles without soft tips on surfaced paths will have a custard pie thrown into their face - I will be carrying at least a dozen ;)

Hi David, do you carry these custard pies now instead of the first aid equipment you used to carry to help pilgrims in distress ( have I got this right or am I mistaking you for someone else?)?

No, NW Spain was the last bastion of such beasts (there and the Apennines of Italy). Populations started rebounding as the humans started deserting the rural areas in favour of the city's to seek fortune. Then came the added protections under the Bern Convention to start trying to undo some of the damage we've done to our world. But the success story is in danger of being rewritten as farmers struggle or simply refuse to live along side these animals.
I thought the bears in Spain were reintroduced from Italy some years ago like wolves in France, in the Pyrenees - do they respect the borders and stay in France?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€83,-
Yeah, i wasnt sure about the exact term in english. Those sweet, stringy jelly things that practically every spanish supermarket carries. Doesn't get bad, doesn't melt, lots of sugar for a quick energy and/or morale boost and there usually is a picture of some fruit on the packaging so it must be healthy as well ;-)
licorice

I thought the bears in Spain were reintroduced from Italy some years ago like wolves in France, in the Pyrenees - do they respect the borders and stay in France?
In the Pyrenees yes, although they were reintroduced from Slovakia I think. The last original Pyrenean best was shot in Urdos early 2000's in "self-defence".

However, the Cantabrian population is still the original, I think they were down to the last 50 when conservation efforts started. There are two main groups at present, the largest of about 200 centered around Somiedo (a beautiful place if anyone wants to go see a bear), and a smaller group of 50-75 around Palencia/Pico's de Europa.

As with the wolves they can travel large distances, and have been seen from Burgos area to deep in Galicia. Both the Primativo and San Salvador cut through some of the best bear country in Spain. While the bears are easier to spot than the wolves you would still need to be lucky or knowledgeable to do so.

Spain is a beautiful country on so many levels, and it's wildlife is certainly one of them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Spain does indeed have beautiful birds. It also has vultures which are spectacular although only their parents think them beautiful. Although these peregrinos of the air do not like going to Portugal for pilgrimage! There is a reason for this.

These birds of prey were circling me as I prepared for the walk up Calvary Hill on the VdlP.
Just before Almaden. I was determined not to trip and look injured!! :oops:

View attachment 2023-03-28 11.51.11.mp4

View attachment 162075
This is so interesting. Does it have anything to do with laws on how farmers are allowed to dispose of dead farm animals in Spain? I recall reading that most countries require cremating but no so in Spain. Farmers put the carcasses in the furtherest corner of their property and allow nature to take it's course. Hence the prolific population of these beautiful birds in Spain. (I think).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just read the last four posts. I did not read even the original.
Hilarious. Isn't it nice to be non confrontational?
Thanks, David. You picked a winner.

This is so interesting. Does it have anything to do with laws on how farmers are allowed to dispose of dead farm animals in Spain? I recall reading that most countries require cremating but no so in Spain. Farmers put the carcasses in the furtherest corner of their property and allow nature to take it's course. Hence the prolific population of these beautiful birds in Spain. (I think).
Exactly that.Although I am not sure its "law", the Spanish see no profit in paying to dispose of carcases so leave them to feed the local wildlife. Portugal follows EU rules closely and dispose of the bodies carefully. Not sure of EU law but the UK bans even burial on private land in case it contaminates the water course

5…..No matter how desperate you are for a cafe con leche, sustenance, the loo, whatever….. remember that the first cafe/bar that you come across in a village or small town is often way from being the best…..be patient!
Oh yes. Always the second cafe. Its a Camino rule.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh yes. Always the second cafe. Its a Camino rule.
And then sometimes you walk all through the village and discover there was no second cafe. It has happened to me more than once.

I have invariably found that the best cafe is the one that has all of the pilgrims sitting in front of it. But that may have something to do with what I enjoy in a Camino cafe.

5…..No matter how desperate you are for a cafe con leche, sustenance, the loo, whatever….. remember that the first cafe/bar that you come across in a village or small town is often way from being the best…..be patient!
It could be the only one though, on many occasions there is nowhere else open in winter anyway take them when you can.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back