• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury in Fromista

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
The following was just posted in the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook page:

"2 nights ago the steel double bunks fell on top of me. I landed flat on my back trapped under the beds. I have been to emergency, am in hotel in Fromista , given shots, back brace, prescription pills. I cannot move. The pain is agonizing. I'm not sure if I'll go to bigger hospital tomorrow . The steel cut my shins, ankle to bleeding, there is some hip and vertabrae issue. For now I just rest. This is the bed that fell on me. I simply am in excruciating pain . Please pray for me as it is so bad I'm not sure I can travel home. "

I do not have any follow up at this time.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh No!! This is just awful! I am so sorry this has happened to you. Know in your heart that many pilgrims on this forum and the APOC will keep you in their thoughts and prayers. I sincerely hope you are feeling better very soon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OMG! This is the worst, casual accident that I have ever heard if on the Camino. By that, I mean, not when someone falls down badly, has a traffic accident, etc.
I feel so sorry as Susan is really in a bad way.
I sincerely hope that she can recover quickly and has no permanent damage. Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OMG! praying for Patricia and for Bruce to be an instrument for her prompt recovery.

Besides Patricia getting well, the next issue is where/how/why?

The perils of sleeping in a bunk bed. A lot of those bunk beds I saw in the albergues looked as though they were really designed for children to sleep in, not adults of various ages, sizes, weights, etc. The bunk beds should probably be inspected daily, or at the least, weekly. They take a lot of abuse from pilgrims climbing and jumping up and down from them. A lot of times I happily took the top bed, because I'd rather be the "faller" than the "fallee" (are those words? ;)).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
More info posted by Cindy Rawlings on FB.

This is a part of [name removed by mod] response to my email, which she asked that I share with you all... "I was injured at Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz when steel bunk beds fell on me and pushed me flat on my back. The framing hit me under the ribs, hips, shins and ankle. Four men had to pull it off me as I was trapped underneath. I am receiving medical care in Fromista one town away but will have to move to a larger facility for images. I have been given a cortisone shot, perscription antiinflammatories , pain medicine and a back brace. I am resting in a room near the door at San Telmo Hotel in Fromista close to medical center and pharmacy and am icing, taking medications. I plan to try to get to Leon ASAP for images and will update. I am thankful for all your prayers.

I can't go on FB, Cindy, myself. It's too much. It hurts when I breathe so rib may be broken, too. The medicines make me very groggy.
The ladies here at the little hotel are very nice and helping me be comfortable and with icing. I need the images of modern hospital in Leon."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is nothing we can do from this forum, but to encourage you to get well from your injuries !
Please go to a doctor or a good hospital to have some X Ray made , that's primordial before you go any further walking.
I hope you get recovered soon and be able to make your Camino.

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You must have deteriorated since we last saw you in the bar last night? .....
Seanrahui, LOL. I am sure that you did not intend to imply that this terrible accident was caused by inebriation, but it sort of sounded that way.;)
Wishing Patricia all the best for a rapid and complete recovery, stay in Leon for a few days and spoil yourself with a bit of good food and wine. Mejores deseos.

The nearest city with a hospital is Palencia. You can get a direct train to there from Fromista, there is one each day, takes about a half hour. From Palencia station take a cab to the Hospital Rio Carrion. You will need the referral paperwork from the Centro Salud in Fromista to have images made.

I emailed some friends on the Asociacion Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Leon. Let see if they can help Patricia get comfortably to the medical facility in Leon. Prayers for a full ann prompt recovery.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The following was just posted in the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook page:

"2 nights ago the steel double bunks fell on top of me. I landed flat on my back trapped under the beds. I have been to emergency, am in hotel in Fromista , given shots, back brace, prescription pills. I cannot move. The pain is agonizing. I'm not sure if I'll go to bigger hospital tomorrow . The steel cut my shins, ankle to bleeding, there is some hip and vertabrae issue. For now I just rest. This is the bed that fell on me. I simply am in excruciating pain . Please pray for me as it is so bad I'm not sure I can travel home. "

I will pray, as will many others. I hope you have family or friends who are helping you with insurance etc. If not please ask them for help. My son had a terrible accident on the camino last year and our communications with the insurance company really helped to get things moving and get him home. It is very difficult to do all this from your bed. My thoughts and prayers will be with you daily. When you can please post your progress.

Basic Travel insurance is about $40 and it includes med evacuation for up to $25K. May be the best money you ever spent....

Everyone please be aware that all the information posted here is second- or third-hand, there are very few facts and the person affected has not even joined in this conversation. This is all based on private texts or twitters to her friends back at home -- no public postings from her at all.
Seanrahui is the only voice heard who is "on the ground," so his input is as legit as anyone´s.
Maybe we should just offer a prayer for the situation and wait until some real facts come in before weighing-in on insurance, doctors, images, etc... ?

I think that Reb has it right. She is located very near where this happened and may have a much better understanding of the event then we who are far away.
There is no first person report on this forum.
We should wait to hear the actual circumstances and outcome.

OMG! This is the worst, casual accident that I have ever heard if on the Camino. By that, I mean, not when someone falls down badly, has a traffic accident, etc.
I feel so sorry as Susan is really in a bad way.
I sincerely hope that she can recover quickly and has no permanent damage. Anne
It is not me who was injured Annakappa, but [name removed by mod]......I received a message from her last night and posted it to the APOC group.....Patricia IS receiving assistance now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy recovery.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Olivares I tried to get Basic Travel insurance (because I have in the past for my children when they traveled abroad.) The only problem with that is you have to have a flight to and from already planned. I only have the to flight booked so everyone I talked to said they could not help me. And it was more if you were staying longer than a month. But if you know something else please share. I have not left yet. My insurance company gave me a number to call if I have any insurance needs. I have heard about some insurance not covering evacuation and that is why I did the travel insurance for my kids just to be on the safe side. My last kids travel was a lot more than $40 and she was gone for 3 weeks. But a good point all the same.

For Pilgrim that got hurt - you will be in my prayers.

I am the injured pilgrim and am receiving medical care in Palencia .
My injuries are severe and I cannot travel home at this time. A double steel bunk bed fell on me at Casa Nostra as the above info is posted. They were not equipped to do extensive evaluation and images so I was transferred to the hospital in Palencia . I have rib, hip, back, spinal and shin injuries. I cannot travel home as my injuries are debilitating. I would like to thank you for your prayers and kind comments. This is the bed that fell forward on me, pushing me flat on my back. Thank you for your prayers and support at a difficult time .

My injuries are severe and I cannot travel home at this time. A double steel bunk bed fell on me at Casa Nostra as the above info is posted. They were not equipped to do extensive evaluation and images so I was transferred to the hospital in Palencia . I have rib, hip, back, spinal and shin injuries. I cannot travel home as my injuries are debilitating. I would like to thank you for your prayers and kind comments. This is the bed that fell forward on me, pushing me flat on my back. Thank you for your prayers and support at a difficult time .
Much Love, gentle hugs and lots and lots of Cyber Support and prayers coming your way Patricia...please send updates when you can....Sue.

Saramago, What a nightmare for you! I will be leaving for my Camino on Friday and will be rattling the bunks to make sure they are not loose.
I also send my prayers and wishes for your early recovery. Hope you can get home soon.
Heather

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Saramago, What a nightmare for you! I will be leaving for my Camino on Friday and will be rattling the bunks to make sure they are not loose.
I also send my prayers and wishes for your early recovery. Hope you can get home soon.
Heather
Thank you so much. Yes, be very careful. Also if you get a top bunk and hold onto the railing it may fall forward. It's a health hazard as these were not grounded either to wall of floor and I was trapped under . Please be very careful. I wish you a Buen Camino and wonderful weather and happy hearts. Have fun! Pat xo

I watched a Spanish man pull a bunk over. He had better luck than you; the bed stopped at 45 degrees against the next bunk. I wish you a speedy recovery and effective pills in the meantime.

Bunk anchor warnings should be in the FAQs to save others your agony.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope you will be able to travel home soon, there is no place like home when one is not well. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you will be able to return to the Camino again.
I agree with you Wayfarer......by the way, How are YOU feeling now? Camino Hug for you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Saramago thank you for your note. I would have never even thought of checking bunks. I am so sorry your trip got cut short and you are dealing with this. After reading about you I downloaded like 3 Spanish to English translation apps to my phone to make sure I would have a way to communicate if I ended up in your situation. You will be in my prayers as I leave for the Camino by the end of this month. You know you have a lot of support from your Camino family.

Olivares I tried to get Basic Travel insurance (because I have in the past for my children when they traveled abroad.) The only problem with that is you have to have a flight to and from already planned.
palady-- Travel insurance companies will insure a one-way ticket, there is no requirement for a RT ticket. I have done it many times, insuring a one way ticket and for that travel day it includes med evac. Try insuremytrip.com for quotes on med evac.

I have used ALLIANZ Insurance for years and they have been great to deal with when I had the need to place a claim.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Yes, be very careful. Also if you get a top bunk and hold onto the railing it may fall forward. It's a health hazard as these were not grounded either to wall of floor and I was trapped under . Please be very careful. I wish you a Buen Camino and wonderful weather and happy hearts. Have fun! Pat xo
Patricia-- so great to hear from you! I hope this means you are improving and getting back on your feet. You are very thougthful in having one of your first posts be sharing the lessons Learned from such unfortunate accident so that it can be prevented by future pilgrims. I had contacted friends in Leon and asked them to please check on you at the Hotel Telmo, not sure if they even got the message; glad to see good signs of recovery.

Please do not sweat some folks's insensitive remarks trivializing your unfortunate accident. They were a minority and the only importance these comments have is the one you give them. Don't. GET WELL!! BUEN CAMINO!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Patricia-- so great to hear from you! I hope this means you are improving and getting back on your feet. You are very thougthful in having one of your first posts be sharing the lessons Learned from such unfortunate accident so that it can be prevented by future pilgrims. I had contacted friends in Leon and asked them to please check on you at the Hotel Telmo, not sure if they even got the message; glad to see good signs of recovery.

Please do not sweat some folks's insensitive remarks trivializing your unfortunate accident. They were a minority and the only importance these comments have is the one you give them. Don't. GET WELL!! BUEN CAMINO!
Thank you so much! <3

Saramago thank you for your note. I would have never even thought of checking bunks. I am so sorry your trip got cut short and you are dealing with this. After reading about you I downloaded like 3 Spanish to English translation apps to my phone to make sure I would have a way to communicate if I ended up in your situation. You will be in my prayers as I leave for the Camino by the end of this month. You know you have a lot of support from your Camino family.
Buen Camino and many thanks!

Olivares - that is interesting because ALLIANZ is the company I tried to get insurance through. They ended up refunding my money after I signed up because I read it was only good for my air flight. Because I stated I had know idea when I was coming back and where I was headed through out my journey. Maybe I got someone who was unfamiliar.

Rebekah I tried squaremouth.com and ichatted with a representative and she asked if I would know before I left when I was returning and I stated no. She said I could put a date as for how long I wanted to be covered but it would limit who would cover me.

I think my problem is no return information. But I am going to call my medical insurance company this week and ask them about evac because I know they cover me overseas but not sure about the evac. And if not they should have suggestions also.

But thanks again both of you for your input.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not a problem, palady- just a quick note that even as a one way the travel insurance will cover you from 24 hours of purchase thru the day your flight is completed. So, if you have a connection and for XYZ you need med evac at the connection point, you could get coverage. same concept from the time the insurance is active; if you have to cancel for XYZ reason, you could get covered. My point is don't risk not having protection for those OTHER unfortunate ocassions for the sake of getting a policy that satisfies your med evac requirements.

All the best! Buen Camino!

Hope you are on the mend...in my last few days on the Norte my pilgrim buddy's bunk bed fell too. Thankfully there were so few people in our auberge that he was in a room alone as was I so no injury.
Hugs to you!
Neve

Hello. My friends and I slept in the same dormitory the day Pat fell off the bunk bed. I want to say that the Albergue Casa Nostra is VERY nice and our host Juan very very nice, helpful and pleasant. When Pat fell backward on her back, a guest, Gaétan , and Juan the host, were the first to come to help her. The bunk had not fallen on Pat, only the foam mattresses. Everyone helped Pat, I was the one who put the band aid on the scratch on her shin then we all helped setting her a bed on the floor as obviously Pat was not able to handle the top bunk bed (I don't like them either). I must say that bunk beds are NEVER bolted to the floor. Everybody is supposed to use caution when going up and down. The only fixed ones are the built-in concrete slabs found in some of the new very large albergues. That night after the fall Pat was in and out the room several times so we trusted that her injuries were not too severe. Again Juan from the Albergue Casa Nostra was very helpful and nice in every way. I would recommend staying there to anybody. We wish Pat a prompt recovery.
Buen and safe camino to all.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello. My friends and I slept in the same dormitory the day Pat fell off the bunk bed. I want to say that the Albergue Casa Nostra is VERY nice and our host Juan very very nice, helpful and pleasant. When Pat fell backward on her back, a guest, Gaétan , and Juan the host, were the first to come to help her. The bunk had not fallen on Pat, only the foam mattresses. Everyone helped Pat, I was the one who put the band aid on the scratch on her shin then we all helped setting her a bed on the floor as obviously Pat was not able to handle the top bunk bed (I don't like them either). I must say that bunk beds are NEVER bolted to the floor. Everybody is supposed to use caution when going up and down. The only fixed ones are the built-in concrete slabs found in some of the new very large albergues. That night after the fall Pat was in and out the room several times so we trusted that her injuries were not too severe. Again Juan from the Albergue Casa Nostra was very helpful and nice in every way. I would recommend staying there to anybody. We wish Pat a prompt recovery.
Am I confused or are there differences in what happened? Ed

This is not accurate. I am not making any statement about the Casa Mostra or the host, Colette. You mustn't think so. The mattresses were the last to be taken off me . I did not fall out of the bunk. I wS standing on the floor after coming down when the bunks fell on me. You were not in the room. The bandages were put on by Juan and another lady helped me with ice packs. When the bed fell on me, all of my things on my bunk and the gentleman 'a things on his bunk all flew off, including the mattresses. You must have come in after the bunks were lifted. It was an accident but your account of it, not in the room at the time, in inaccurate. I remember you Colette. It was Juan who arranged the taxi to Fromista medical center at first light of day. This is in no way any criticism of Casa Nostra but your account is inaccurate as you were not present until the bed was lifted. Buen Camino.

Am I confused or are there differences in what happened? Ed
No, she was not in the room nor did she bandage me. Another pilgrim fixed ice packs as it was lights out. There was no ice at Casa Nostra. She fixed them and applied them when it was lights out. The medical center was in the next town over. I was up and down the floor mattress due to the pain. At first light, a taxi was arranged by Juan to transfer me to the Fromista MedicalCenter. The other pilgrim who helped me offered to get ice from the bar up the street. The entires steel bed knocked me on my back and was lifted off of me by the first men to arrive after hearing the screams.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Saramango, Pat,
Prayers for a quick and complete recovery. I'm so sorry that you had to endure such a thing. I can't begin to thank you enough for sharing your story to bring awareness to this issue. You are obviously not pointing fingers, and you are gracious enough to think of others as we embark or continue our journey. God Bless you, and I hope you get home soon. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back