• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interesting parallel noted between Camino after-effects and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
I just finished a book loaned to me by a neighbor who wanted a critical review from a "scientific type".

Entitled "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, it is a lengthy (but well-written) journey into the evolving science of hallucinogens such as psilocybin and LSD.

Though not interested in partaking of these myself, the topic was treated in a very professional manner.

What struck me rather hard was how many patients "after treatment" were changed by the experience much in the manner many of us report during but more after Camino-ing. Some loss of ego, more relaxed, more open, more able to be "in the moment", aware of more love and good in the Universe than before our experience.

What is NOT similar is that most of us have experienced "post-Camino blues". Such was not reported at the end of these other, I have to say it..."trips". ;)

There is good scientific evidence that these chemicals work by suppressing an activity system of the brain called the "Default Mode Network" (DMN). For lack of a better description, it tends to inhibit things that the ego does not want one to recognize.

The author notes that many experienced meditators can obtain similar effects as well as marked reduction in the DMN's influence. And what is the Camino for some of us but a "walking meditation"? (Whether that was our intent or not.)

Anyway, I just thought it interesting.

Buen Camino! (as I head back to pickling)

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just finished a book loaned to me by a neighbor who wanted a critical review from a "scientific type".

Entitled "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, it is a lengthy (but well-written) journey into the evolving science of hallucinogens such as psilocybin and LSD.

Though not interested in partaking of these myself, the topic was treated in a very professional manner.

What struck me rather hard was how many patients "after treatment" were changed by the experience much in the manner many of us report during but more after Camino-ing. Some loss of ego, more relaxed, more open, more able to be "in the moment", aware of more love and good in the Universe than before our experience.

What is NOT similar is that most of us have experienced "post-Camino blues". Such was not reported at the end of these other, I have to say it..."trips". ;)

There is good scientific evidence that these chemicals work by suppressing an activity system of the brain called the "Default Mode Network" (DMN). For lack of a better description, it tends to inhibit things that the ego does not want one to recognize.

The author notes that many experienced meditators can obtain similar effects as well as marked reduction in the DMN's influence. And what is the Camino for some of us but a "walking meditation"? (Whether that was our intent or not.)

Anyway, I just thought it interesting.

Buen Camino! (as I head back to pickling)

B
This is interesting... I've just recently begun to experiment with shrooms. I actually don't do drugs of any kind, and barely drink alcohol - but wanted to give it a go as I'm into the spiritual aspects of life.

Has been interesting so far after two sessions, has helped relax parts of my brain/anxiety and just allowed me to be deeply present.

However I've walked the Camino before and experienced the same - so will be good to compare the experiences.

Thought it would be even more interesting to mix camino with shrooms, but I don't think they are technically legal there so maybe not the best plan 🤣

It is also on TV!

I have walked a couple Caminos where I met professional Physiatrists who were walking just to determine why patients had felt changed after walking. They said they thought it was just another hike and had no idea why patients felt the walk made a difference. I suggested that they walk it from SJPDP to Finisterre, instead of making a decision about the Camino after only walking a small portion of the Camino Frances

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Artificial excitation of biochemical markers produced by satisfactions or happiness is hardly the same thing as the benefit from completion of the Way of Saint James.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back