• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction: Christine to begin her pilgrimage in one week

SVLotus

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2012)
Salutations & Best Wishes to My Fellow Pilgrims!

Hello, my name is Christine and I am planning to embark on the Camino in just over one week. I am from Denver, Colorado in the U.S. and will make the walk alone.

I've done some thru-hiking in the states (Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail), so feel pretty well equipped both mentally and in terms of gear. I am not, however, at all familiar with Spain. So, the getting to and from are what I'm spending most of my time researching currently.

I am looking into flying from the US to Pamplona and then taking a bus to either SJPP or Roncesvalles. If anyone reading this has an opinion about the two options, I'd love to hear it!

I am also quite on the fence with regards to bringing a tent. It's what I'm used to carrying as part of my gear. I've been reading mixed reviews with regards to how easy a tent is to manage in public/private spaces and whether it may be necessary due to the prevalence of bed bugs in the larger hostels. It weighs 5 lbs, so I'm happy to leave it behind if it is not a needed piece of equipment. I also have a water filter for streams, springs, etc. Necessary?

That's about it. I'd love to hear any advice or from folks who might also be hiking and have a schedule that coincides with my own!!

Buen Camino!
Christine

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Christine

For me both the tent and the water filter would be unnecessary - the accommodation is frequent and good precautions will help avoid problems with bed bugs. There are sources of clean drinkable water all the way along the camino frances.

Best wishes

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the advice and link to the departure calendar. Growing more excited by the day!!

Hi Christine,
You can get a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. It leaves from the main bus station at 6:00pm (1800 hours) Monday through Friday, and at 4:00pm (1600 hours) on Saturday. The cost is 6 euros. The buses often fill up fast, so if you can go to the bus station early in the day to buy your ticket.

There is also a bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I've found some conflicting information online, but it looks like there is - definitely - a 2:00pm (1400 hours) bus. The Movelia website also shows a 5:30pm (1730 hours) bus, and it shows the fare as 15 euros for both departures. This was also confirmed by another poster, who is quite an expert.

So which option to choose? Personally, I'd say if you have the time, start in SJPP and walk over the Pyrenees. If you really have time, spend the first night out of SJPP at Orisson and enjoy the spirit of the community meal, the incredible views from the terrace, and the night sky full of stars. If you do this, do book in advance before you leave home: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

As for the tent, this is a personal choice. There are more than 200 albergues (pilgrim hostels) along the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Santiago, so you have loads of choices for affordable places to sleep. The only reason to bring the tent, then, is if that's the kind of experience you want.

And as for the water filter, the answer is no. The water in the fountains along the Way is drinkable, unless there's a sign 'No Potable', which is not too often. And tap water in the albergues is fine. You will also come across many shops along the way that sell bottled water, if you have any concerns about the local tap.

Christine, if you are considering bringing your tent, here is some info on camping on the Camino: http://www.santiago.ca/PDF/CAMPING.pdf

I found this on the Canadian Company of Pilgrims website - I'm not sure how current it is, but it will give you and idea of what's out there.

Nancy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Christine, you are clearly used to carrying a tent, but my advice would still be to leave it at home, unless you really want to sleep 'alone' cheaply. There are lots of accommodation options, so carrying one is unnecessary, and the lighter your pack is, the easier the journey will feel.
Ultreia!
Margaret

Many thanks Margaret and Nancy! I believe I will leave the tent at home and enjoy the way of the pilgrims. My gratitude for your advices!!

cheers, christine

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.