• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction

Hi, My husband and myself are from South Africa and will start our Camino arriving in SJdP on 11 May 2011. Looking forward to it a heck of a lot. Diana & Chris

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wish you good weather, and welcome to the Forum. There are answers here for almost any question.

Diana and Chris - have a wonderful time - the time of your lives - enjoy!

If you do find that you are becoming concentrated on how far you have to go and are tired then take the time to stop and look back. Where you were not so long ago will be incredibly distant! and it will empower you, absolutely empower you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi anyone out there, i have been drawn to this site, maybe not this exact one but sites about the Camino de Santiago, since i was 50 when i decided to attempt one of the walks. I am now 66 or will be next month, and still have not done it. So many questions, how much will it cost?, (now i am retired the cost is all important), how short can the walk be and be accepted as a pilgrimage? (age has slowed me down). Please can someone help and advise me, a learning curve if ever there was one, and that is, do it when you have the money and before old age creeps up on you LOL. Shirley.

You must continuously walk the last 100 km to Santiago de Compostela to qualify for a Compostela.

A pilgrimage is anything you make it! Anyone who tells you what a pilgrimage must be is, quite simply, wrong. Thousands a day make a pilgrimage to Lourdes in a wheelchair pushed by someone else, some barely conscious.

The typical cost on the Camino Frances is 30 Euro per day if you stay in albergues and do a little self-catering. If you stay in private accommodations and eat all your meals in restaurants, it will be about 30 Euro for lodging, 2.50 Euro for breakfast, 6 Euro for lunch, and 9 Euro for supper. Add a little for soda, beer, coffee, buses, taxis, souvenirs, and snacks.

Stay within your limits, and have fun!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
True, a good average - though the daily costs can be quite a lot less. If you live simply then you don't have to buy coffee or cold drinks or ice cream. You don't ever have to buy a meal in a cafe, nor wine.
It is really simple to carry food with you - for instance, were you to carry sausage, cheese, tomatoes, and bread and water then this will do very well during the day. If you also carry some dried pasta then it is a simple thing to boil it up in the evening, add some cheese and herbs - voila! simple meal.
If you carry salt, pepper, some herbs, and olive oil with you then you are pretty independent.

The extra weight is much less than you think it may be - pasta is hydrated, as are some soups. When stopping over in a town with shops you could pick up something cheap and 'special' - salad stuff or a tin of beans, for instance. If you pass a shop selling apples cheap then buy a dozen and eat them all day.

This would mean living a very simple independent life on the Camino. To some, the thought of eating the same meal every day is an absolute NO - but most people in the third world tend to eat the same food every day for years - it isn't a problem at all. The 'problem' would be were you to find a simple life difficult, and were you to miss the meeting of friends at cafes and bars - though you could join in but opt for one glass of the cheapest drink. That 'sitting in' can feel quite important at times, but the back yards of refuges have that too, as does sitting on a low wall outside the refuge, luxuriating in backpack free leisure - the view is free, as is the weather :wink:
Were you to find yourself in a village with no shop to buy extras for your evening meal - well, you would always have your staples with you.
Refuge prices vary - 3 to 8 really, so with an average of 6 you can live very well indeed on 12-15 euros a day, very well indeed. :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.