A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Introduction

Hi, my name is Cameron, I live in Australia and I am planning on doing the camino frances in June. I wanted to know is that a good time of year to go and how do I get to st jean pied de port from here

Trudy

Camino(s) past & future
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
Hi Cameron,
June is a bit warm, but it's preferable to walking in July and August when it's a lot hotter and crowded. So try to start early June.

Getting to SJPP? Well it probably depends where you live in Australia. Here are couple of ways from the east coast, both with Qantas as that's the way I've done it:

1. Fly from Sydney to Paris, then get the fast train (TGV) from Paris to Bayonne, then local train from Bayonne to St Jean. http://www.voyages-sncf.com the French rail website will give you more info, just scroll down the page and click on the Union Jack. There are other airlines that do the Sydney to Paris run.

2. Fly Qantas from Sydney to Madrid via Frankfurt, get the bus from Madrid city to Pamplona, hang around there for a couple of hours, get the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles, and taxi from there to SJPP. The taxi will be waiting for pilgrims at the Roncesvalles stop.

Another alternative is to fly into Heathrow, then get to one of the other airports and fly to Biarritz. But I've no idea of the logistics of this.

Buen Camino.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
oops! I'll be starting in late june from Le puy so I can expect hot weather and crowds (mind you it's 10.45pm and 35 degrees in melbourne after a high of 41). I walked the VDLP in may/june and found it pretty hot but that was starting from Seville and I was frequently told that it was un seasonally hot.
I told really have too much choice about my starting date. By the way, I presume it's more crowded in july because of european uni holidays-would that be correct?

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
M Camino Frances 11
GerryDel Camino Frances 14
Rambler Camino Frances 14

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%