Search 62305 Camino Questions

Introduction

cameron

Hi, my name is Cameron, I live in Australia and I am planning on doing the camino frances in June. I wanted to know is that a good time of year to go and how do I get to st jean pied de port from here

2023 Camino Guides
The 2023 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Trudy

Time of past OR future Camino
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
Hi Cameron,
June is a bit warm, but it's preferable to walking in July and August when it's a lot hotter and crowded. So try to start early June.

Getting to SJPP? Well it probably depends where you live in Australia. Here are couple of ways from the east coast, both with Qantas as that's the way I've done it:

1. Fly from Sydney to Paris, then get the fast train (TGV) from Paris to Bayonne, then local train from Bayonne to St Jean. http://www.voyages-sncf.com the French rail website will give you more info, just scroll down the page and click on the Union Jack. There are other airlines that do the Sydney to Paris run.

2. Fly Qantas from Sydney to Madrid via Frankfurt, get the bus from Madrid city to Pamplona, hang around there for a couple of hours, get the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles, and taxi from there to SJPP. The taxi will be waiting for pilgrims at the Roncesvalles stop.

Another alternative is to fly into Heathrow, then get to one of the other airports and fly to Biarritz. But I've no idea of the logistics of this.

Buen Camino.

D

Deleted member 397

oops! I'll be starting in late june from Le puy so I can expect hot weather and crowds (mind you it's 10.45pm and 35 degrees in melbourne after a high of 41). I walked the VDLP in may/june and found it pretty hot but that was starting from Seville and I was frequently told that it was un seasonally hot.
I told really have too much choice about my starting date. By the way, I presume it's more crowded in july because of european uni holidays-would that be correct?

Most read last week in this forum

I have booked stops for my first three days of the Camino Frances. Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila Day 2 Aubergue Borda Day 3 Hostal Burguete After that I might just wing it the rest of the way. What I...
I would love advice and recommendations from the forum. I am looking at pre-booking accommodation along the entire walk. Reasons: I am a stroller and don't want to have to rush to find a bed or...
Hi All, I’m Graham and I’m doing the Camino Frances from SJPDP starting second week of May 2023. (First timer) Just asking is a sleeping bag necessary, or would a liner be enough? I’m from...

How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2023 Camino Guides