• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction

Mercury

Hi, I have really appreciated the advice on this forum and made a few posts myself, so I thought it was time I introduced myself. I am female, mid forties, from England.

I first heard about the Camino about 10 years ago, I can't remember how, possibly a travel programme on television or newspaper article. Then soon after, I read David Lodge's book "Therapy" and decided that some day I wanted to walk the Camino Frances myself. Since then, there was always something that meant that I didn't make it a priority: work, weight, lack of fitness, new boyfriend, loft conversion etc etc

I don't now why this is the year I have decided to go, but it just feels right. I'm not religious - probably humanist/atheist. I can get overwhelmed by the sheer difference of foriegn countries. I am not a natural linguist. I find it hard to deal with uncertainty such as finding a bed for the night. I don't like crowds and I worry about meeting new people.

It is easy for me to live within my comfort zone and for this to shrink to a comfortable routine. But, I would like to be a bigger person than that. I want to stay open to the possibilities of new experiences rather than closing down.

So, here I am, out on training walks, Spanish Language CD in the car, and acquiring the items on my packing list including:

AARN Featheright Freedom Body Pack
Running Shoes rather than Boots
2 Season Sleeping bag rather than sleeping bag liner
Poncho rather than waterproof jacket

Oh and I definitely like the idea of being up to see the sun rise, though I intend not to be a plastic bag rustler.
I fly from Stansted to Biarritz on 19th May to start from SJPP the following day with the willingness for this to be more than just a walk. I hope to meet with some of you along the way.

Buen Camino

Mercury

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mercury - your running shoes have little wings on them? Ah, thought so, with that name.

Enjoy - hope to see you out there, or rather, the swirl of empty dust and the fading after-image of where you have been!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"...I definitely like the idea of being up to see the sun rise..."

Hi Mercury, most of us would concur with you.

Except...

I had the opportunity a couple of summers ago to stay at the albergue in Espinosa de Compludo, a detour + a few hours' walk + an overnight stay & more walk, all from El Acebo, after the Cross de Ferro.

There's a wonderful albergue there, on a little town located right on a steep hillside. It is run by a wonderful artist who has her studio on the first floor, her albergue is on the bottom floor, with a terrace right by it overlooking a valley. It was brand new.

The view from the terrace was awesome.

There was no "lights out" time, so we few peregrinos were able to lounge on the terrace and watch the most impressive (shooting) star show I've ever seen.

I've been hungering for a similar night experience on the Caminos after that.

Ah, but don't we know it...duplicating Camino experiences is a hard to find quest.

Buen Camino 8)

xm

Hola Mercury
One of the lovely things about the camino is that because it has a 1000 year history it is simply part of the culture of the area, the locals understand exactly why you are walking through their village, they take it for granted, and will even say buen camino, or ask you to pray for them when you get there, or call out to tell you you have made a wrong turn.

It's a very special feeling, and you feel so not alone as a result. Very
different from travelling in the normal sense. People come from all over the world and instantly become part of the scene.

It also make the logistics of dinding a bed, food etc pretty simple, people can predict , even if you don't speak much Spanish, that you want somewhere cheap to lay your head, something cheap and filling to eat. Elderly, "characters" will see you on the road and lead to to an albergue. It's fantastic.
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.