• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction

Stuartwe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2020
Hi,my name is Stuart from England and I am in the early stages of planning to walk the Camino in 2020 when I will be 60.

Interested to hear the thoughts of any members whether it is possible to overprepare?

With the wealth of information available seems important to have an outline of the stages but I’m rather hoping for an adventure and some spontaneity and i’m looking forward to discovering places myself without too many preconceived ideas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,my name is Stuart from England and I am in the early stages of planning to walk the Camino in 2020 when I will be 60.

Interested to hear the thoughts of any members whether it is possible to overprepare?

With the wealth of information available seems important to have an outline of the stages but I’m rather hoping for an adventure and some spontaneity and i’m looking forward to discovering places myself without too many preconceived ideas.

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum. To help members know best how to respond it might help to give a little more information, for example will you be walking the Camino Frances, at which part of the year, do you want advice on boots, backpacks etc. etc.? There are a lot of experiences pilgrims on this forum so you will be given lots of good - if sometimes conflicting - advice. Buen Camino!

Absolutely! Often you will read posts here and elsewhere on the internet of people planning each daily stage months or even years in advance. Rooms booked every night of their journey before they ever reach the airport - so no room to alter their plans as they actually experience the Camino for themselves. Microscopic comparisons of the merits of albergue X compared with albergue Y six months ahead of their walk. Also phenomenally complicated training regimes with the complexity of Olympic athletes with the gold medal in view when the Caminos are really nothing more than a series of day walks between towns and villages. A few stages demand reasonable general fitness but it is not a stupendous physical challenge. If you need the assurance of a pre-booked bed that can usually be done a day or two in advance. Arrows will tell you where to go next - no need to memorise maps for weeks ahead. If you are walking the Camino Frances then almost certainly there will be others around to advise and assist if and when things go pear-shaped. Planning is certainly part of the fun and has pleasure in its own right but it is all too easy to overdo it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for replies received so far.

I am hoping to do the Camino Francés in September/October 2020,still working at present so need to negotiate the necessary time off.

From what I’ve read so far,around six weeks to include travelling to and from seems about right as i’m all about the journey not the destination.

I appreciate it’s likely to be busy on the route at that time of year so would probably tend to walk stages of my own design rather than those recommended by the guidebooks to perhaps avoid some of the more crowded stopping points.

Although it’s two years away,feels good for the soul to have something positive to aim for.

Hello Stuart
Welcome. - your Camino has already started!

There are thousands of perspectives represented here, but the only one that matters ultimately, is yours.

I say this because my preparation has been truly informed and amplified by the examples and insights provided by a wonderful community. This community is a spectrum of humanity from devout Christians fulfilling a spiritual practice to extreme sports devotees seeking an ultimate challenge.

The Camino will provide

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome. You'll find everything you could wish to know here and everything you don't need to know too. Please, don't overplan as it just puts you under a lot of pressure and doesn't give you the chance to be flexible. Make certain that your kit is ok and book your first night's bed, beyond that go along with what works for you.
UltreĂŻa

Hi Stuart

Definitely possible to overprepare. The best times I’ve had travelling, whether on Camino or otherwise, have not been planned and have often come from the greatest difficulties.

It’s obviously important to get the basics sorted out and preparing should be fun, it’s all part of the excitement of a trip. Sorting out kit that works, that is suited to purpose and to the individual, and keeping the load light mean that once underway the experience is a more enjoyable one. It’s a great excuse to try out new kit and treat oneself to new toys (can be tough balancing desire against need, weight being the issue). Researching route, gathering information and planning stages is fun and help in knowing roughly what to expect which can then affect kit choice. But I would also caution not to overdo planning, or rather not to become too rigid in those plans. I view it with the mindset that reasonable preparation helps comfort, both physical and mental, and better allows one to relax and be flexible.

Invariably, best laid plans etc, however much planning and preparation one does, there is always something that crops up and it’s at that point being relaxed and flexible allows the freedom to go with the flow and enjoy experiences one might otherwise miss.

Have fun with your preparations, this forum has a wealth of knowledge and experience, it is a fabulous resource, and when it finally comes round, enjoy your Camino, it’s a wonderful experience that has me hooked. I wish you the very best with both.

@Stuartwe
Well, my answer would be, "yes and no." Because of the length of time that it takes to walk the camino Frances or any of the longer routes, it is often necessary to plan ahead for enough free time. So anticipation demands to be fed and I really enjoyed doing so. I haunted the forum, took two Spanish courses, purchased and read Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. Eventually I officially joined the forum, bought Brierley's guidebook and began to shop for gear. About six months before departure, I decided how I would get to St Jean pied de Port to start my camino, bought return air tickets and a one way bus ticket and booked accommodation for my first couple of nights.
That was enough planning. Aside from eventually booking a couple of rest days in Leon and accommodation in Santiago, I did not decide where to stay ahead of time. I just walked, finding my own pace and rhythm and stopping when I chose. Sometimes I stayed at albergues given favourable reviews on the forum and found that the reviewer's taste was very different from my own. Sometimes, I had to pay more because I had not booked ahead. I enjoyed my pilgrimage one day at a time. Last year I had to do more planning for my walk on the VdlP because of fewer albergues. I also enjoyed that, but I still did not book ahead. To summarize: enjoy your planning, then just walk your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you to all for your very thoughtful and encouraging responses.

Although my planned Camino is two years away,it’s already fun to think of what I will need to do practically to get myself in the best possible shape both physically and mentally to successfully complete the challenge.

Also it’s good to have a new sense of purpose and something totally different from anything I have done before to aim for.

Lots of us are certainly trying to give that a good try. And having fun doing so. I think the secret is to do whatever preparations you want, but once on the way you need to let the journey evolve without trying to prove your preparations were right.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.