• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ipad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty2013

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Hey Guys...just wondering could I bring my iPad with me to do blogging whilst I'm on the Camino or is it a bit risky bringing such an expensive item..? Thanks,

Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked through France with my iPad last year, and more recently walked the via de la plata again taking my iPad.

Along with this I was carrying a nikon camera

Never had any concerns but common sense prevails.

Wifi is readily available on the camino frances

We tried to go electronics free. No cell phone or anything (other than a camera). Ended up buying an overpriced, year old, ipod touch in Iruna. If I had it to do over again, I would have brought something from home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I brought mine,but I ruined it by keeping it in my backpack,where the hydration pack normally sits.
Sweat/condensation killed it.Next time,for various reasons,a camera phone is all I'll take.

An iPad can be really handy so do take it with you!

Some of the kitchens in the refugios are poorly equipped.........

An iPad makes an excellent chopping board and with the gloss surface is very easy to clean under running water :wink:

I would not have been without my ipad, although I invested in an ipad mini for my camino. I used it as camera, blogging tool, book reader, and for Skype. Many pilgrims were tearing their hair out trying to post blogs from smart phones and from computers available at the albergues, which were invariably vey slow. I was able to blog seamlessly, using lots of photos directly from the ipad. It worked very well for me.

I carried my ipad in a neoprene case with home-made attachments which hung from my bum bag. Not very elegant but always available for a quick draw whenever I saw an image I wanted to photograph. There were some occasions when I wanted to zoom in on a shot, which I couldn't do with the ipad, and if I were to undertake another camino I would also carry a small camera with a good zoom facility.

I worked very hard to keep my pack weight down, but in the event, I could easily have carried a little more weight.

Buen camino, Maggie

Daily report from Camino Frances Apr/May 2013 at http://magwood.wordpress.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take it! Just be careful, as with all your valuables.

(Although do note, there are plenty of computers available along the way from which you can blog easily, I didn't have any trouble using them, if that was your sole reason for carrying it.)

Just returned from the CF. I brought my iPad and would do it again. I brought it so I could blog while on the Camino. I found that wifi was not as common as others on the Forum suggest it is. Also, computers along the Camino are somewhat available, but are at a premium.
I brought a camera with me, which I carried on my belt and used almost exclusively for my photos (I also had a cell phone). I did not use my iPad for photos.
I carried my iPad in my pack, in a case I made for it, inside a strong zip loc bag. I had no problem with moisture (and believe me, I was one of those who walked the "wet" camino of Spring 2013, so there was LOTS of moisture).
When wifi was available, I was able to Skpye family back home because I had my iPad.
Blogging while away from wifi was challenging, let me know if you want to know how I did it.
My electronics, especially the iPad, were the heaviest items in my pack.
My blog, which I began a month out from my Camino with my final trip preparations, is available at:
http://kathyfootenotes.wordpress.com
Hope this helps.
Kathy

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the help...I think I will bring it along. Would be nice to be able to Skype home the odd time plus as of yet I don't have a decent camera so could be handy for photos too. Thanks again all. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My failed humour attempt was this -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA5xU2YjXk[/youtube]

1930's future prediction.jpg This picture is a German 1930's prediction of the future. For over eighty years ago, pretty accurate too!
Women in positions of power, male servant, personal plane (ok it is now personal car), they are wearing onesies and on their vid phones - but, notice that they are completely ignoring each other ... and that is the thing about 'communication' gadgets - you ignore what is right in front of you .. you miss it completely ... . I say leave all that stuff at home and go on pilgrimage
(just my personal opinion :wink: )

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have mine here with me on the Frances. I'm in Finisterre tonight and its still alive! (One dent though!) very useful to have it but not necessary. Definitely a luxury more than anything.

David, as far as I'm concerned, women in positions of power is as it should be. Apple or no apple. ;)

David said:
An iPad can be really handy so do take it with you!

Some of the kitchens in the refugios are poorly equipped.........

An iPad makes an excellent chopping board and with the gloss surface is very easy to clean under running water :wink:

Someone should patent the idea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just walked CF in June. I brought iPad Mini and was very glad to have it - and very glad not to have the larger / heavier full iPad. The mini is small enough to keep reasonably accessible while walking (i.e. not packed away back in the main backpack) which meant it was more useful. I kept it in a clear waterproof case specially made for tablets that let me operate the screen while keeping it protected from the (copious this year) rainfall.

I just finished the Camino Frances. Had IPad mini and iPhone. Thought I would need IPad mini for work issues. After 5 days realized I was carrying almost a pound in extra weight and mailed the mini to a friend in Munich. Used my IPhone and never missed my mini. I recommend taking only an iphone.

jsmith199 said:
I just finished the Camino Frances. Had IPad mini and iPhone. Thought I would need IPad mini for work issues. After 5 days realized I was carrying almost a pound in extra weight and mailed the mini to a friend in Munich. Used my IPhone and never missed my mini. I recommend taking only an iphone.

But did you blog on your iphone? That's what the poster is specifically intending to use the ipad for...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To all that have replied,....Go raibh maith agaibh!!! Some gas comments and all helpful !!!

:)

I used an iPad mini for blogging. That said, wifi was sometimes dodgy and I found that I could blog from an iPhone 5 with a tiny bit more effort (and a Spanish SIM card). I'll leave the iPad at home next year.

Hi Trekster, I'm taking an iPhone 5 and wondering about getting a Spanish nano SIM. What was your experience with that and where did you get the SIM card? Thanks
Jim

I used two different SIM cards. One was from Movistar and cost 12 euros for the card and 1GB of 3G data but much of the time 3G wasn't available. The other was from Orange and was about 20 euros for unlimited data. I believe the first gig was 3G and after that Orange slows it down. Both were good for 30 days. Orange seemed to have more 3G coverage. Note: I had a Verizon iPhone 5 which is unlocked out of the box. Be sure your phone is unlocked before you leave home.

About the nano SIM, you can cut a micro SIM to size with nail clippers...borrowed, of course, from someone who has a backpack filled with all the extras ; )

Trekster said:
About the nano SIM, you can cut a micro SIM to size with nail clippers...borrowed, of course, from someone who has a backpack filled with all the extras ; )

What? doesn't the iPad have a scissors app? :lol:

Pieces said:
wonder how many Camino blogs are actually out there...

P - blogless

"To blog, or not to blog - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous isolation
Or to take gadgets against a sea of silences
And by communicating end them. To walk, to think -
No more - and by that gadget communication to think we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That Camino is heir to. Is it a consummation
Devoutly to be wished? To walk, to think -
To think - perchance to become awake: ay, there's the rub,
For in that deep awakeness what thoughts may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal Camino, and returned home
Must give us pause."

D - blogless

David

Shakespeare knew!

Wow,So apt Such talent. Enough said

Dax

Nice David :)

was just thinking, I have a friend walking right now. I like to think that I had some hand in that even if just a tiny one, and even if I am dying to know what he thinks and how he likes it, he dont say much the odd picture on facebook is all, I don't ask, even when i want to, knowing some experiences are better left internal, maybe just for a while or maybe never to be vocalized....

Frosty2013 said:
Hey Guys...just wondering could I bring my iPad with me to do blogging whilst I'm on the Camino or is it a bit risky bringing such an expensive item..? Thanks,

Mike

i've got my ipad with me, light and easy as the rest of my pack weighs only about 5 kgs..maybe six depending on how much water.

no worries with safety as far as i've felt and experienced. I took it with me nine weeks around thailand last year, through jungle terrain, beaches, ..all fine.

for me it's a great help, maps, blogging or writing, i have no phone so keeps me in touch if i want to with family...if i choose;) takes video, photos,

in saying that my blog has gone off the rails a bit...but as it is a personal thing,..thats all good..my lastpost was a rant with several expletives

Yes, I blogged on my iphone. I didn't think it would work well, but it did. I received tons of compliments on my posts and now that I am home people are still talking about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Mike
Took mine last year as I used viber to communicate bring ing it this year again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.