• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended phone apps (iOS)

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
Hi All! First time pilgrim here, planning the Portuguese route in July with my daughter.

For experienced pilgrims, which phone apps did you find most helpful/useful for navigation, finding lodging, safety, communication, etc.? (Or any suggestions, really.) I just downloaded Gronze, I have this forumā€™s app (Ivarā€™s), and Iā€™m sure there are others that would be good. We have iPhones.

For context, weā€™re American and have never been to Europe before. We speak a little Spanish, not fluently, and Iā€™m working on very basic Portuguese. I plan to use Google Translate as needed.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The best app whitout a doubt is GronzeMaps, now also for Iphone / IOS / Apple / .
I used the Gronze map app a bit last year, when I was walking the Norte in France since my preferred apps, Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino didn't cover that section, but it's far from the best.

The biggest mark against it is that the maps can't be used offline like the other Camino apps. You must have an internet connection.

Buen Camino. Iā€™m also from the US and committed to doing my first Camino (Frances) about a year ago. Very first thing I did was start thinking in Metricā€”-especially distanceā€”Kmā€”. To help, I downloaded the free app ā€œUnits Plusā€ from the Apple App Store. Itā€™s helped a lot. Now when I talk to others about my training hikes and such, they ask: ā€˜whatā€™s that in milesā€™ā€”which makes me feel so European šŸ˜‚. Other useful Apps, as others have mentioned, are the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Buen Camino. Iā€™m also from the US and committed to doing my first Camino (Frances) about a year ago. Very first thing I did was start thinking in Metricā€”-especially distanceā€”Kmā€”. To help, I downloaded the free app ā€œUnits Plusā€ from the Apple App Store. Itā€™s helped a lot. Now when I talk to others about my training hikes and such, they ask: ā€˜whatā€™s that in milesā€™ā€”which makes me feel so European šŸ˜‚. Other useful Apps, as others have mentioned, are the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps.
Iā€™m always googling miles to km and pounds to kg! Probably should get an app for that. I know the metric system is so logical, and a 10-based system should be easy to learn, but itā€™s definitely not my first language for math. šŸ¤£

Google Translate is handy if one is not very conversant in the local language. An example of its use is in a floating window: a message can be dictated or typed, translated and then copied and pasted into Whatsapp, for example. Very handy when confirming with your reserved lodging for the night that you are en route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Google Translate is handy if one is not very conversant in the local language. An example of its use is in a floating window: a message can be dictated or typed, translated and then copied and pasted into Whatsapp, for example. Very handy when confirming with your reserved lodging for the night that you are en route.
I use Google translate on occasion at work, and itā€™s fine for what I need, but I know itā€™s not completely correct all the time. I have heard that WhatsApp is used a lot in Europe, and I used to have it, but their privacy settings are a bit concerning. They ask for access to almost everything on your phone - contacts, location, etc.

I was thinking of making a Google doc with phrases I might need in Portuguese and Spanish so I could just copy and paste them as needed.

I was thinking of making a Google doc with phrases I might need in Portuguese and Spanish so I could just copy and paste them as needed.
I have a couple of index cards I bring with several key phrases written I've occasionally needed for the Camino. Google Translate has nearly eliminated my need to use them the past few years though.
BTW, your Avatar is stunning.šŸ™‚šŸŒŗšŸ¦‹

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only have brief experience of this app. It does not like my accent...but it does voice translation more or less well, if the original accent is understood. I receive written messages from someone in Spain that are perfect, and I gather she uses this app.
Here is a screenshot of a review:
IMG_5471.jpeg
Additionally, deepl is an excellent translator tool for written material. If it is a long text, eg a newspaper article, I just delete the top section when I have read it, and that way the whole text moves up and you can access it all without working out character numbers.

Ps, I presume UI means User Interface.

My favorite Camino Apps are:

General Reference Tools:
Wise Pilgrim - the whole series, or just for your routes.
El Tiempo.es + - Comprehensive weather from virtually every named place in Spain
AEMET - the official meteorological app for Spain
Alert Cops - emergency reporting and locator app
Correos.es - the post office
ALSA - Intercity buses
RENFE - National railway system
Misas.org - for Catholics or those who wish to attend Mass
Gronze - a generally very useful site for route planning and booking lodgings, especially for locations NOT on Booking.com

Special Discussion:

Booking.com
- like it or not, it is a very useful tool on the Camino. I use it to screen for places, as it's mapping and search functions are highly refined. Then I might use Gronze to book using the property's website or call directly.

This avoids the "held back" rooms that Booking.com causes at most properties - not every room is sold via Booking.com. It also usually results in a small savings to both the property owner and the pilgrim, as Booking.com does not take it's normal - large - percentage of the booking amount.

So, I use Booking.com to identify a good location - I do not stay in albergues unless necessary - saving that for younger folks with better immune systems. Then I use Gronze to focus and zero in on a good value for money.

Language Apps -
Google Translate
MS Bing Translate
Spanish dictionary and phrases, iThinkDiff Apps
- for the little stuff you need fast

To Learn Spanish - Duolingo.com - I use it every day at home, then use the Duolingo app on my iPhone when traveling. I have an unbroken, six-year + run of daily Spanish lessons or at least practice.

There are many other apps available. Many pilgrims will have their favorites. To each his or her own. I tried to reduce this list to the bare minimum and generic apps that I have used for years.

Over the years, I have tried other apps and found them wanting, so they got deleted. One example is the Camino Ninja app. I came to discover that much of the content in this app was apparently "borrowed" from the Wise PIlgrim apps. Also, I believe the author of the Camino Ninja app passed away about a year or so ago. So, updates might not be forthcoming.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
The best app whitout a doubt is GronzeMaps, now also for Iphone / IOS / Apple / .
Thanks so much for this suggestion. I had a read about the grass but didnā€™t know it was available for the iPhone. I just downloaded it. I may walk the MozĆ”rabe in October and this will help a lot. Once again, thanks so much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

General Reference Tools:
El Tiempo.es + - Comprehensive weather from virtually every named place in Spain
ALSA - Intercity buses
Gronze - a generally very useful site for route planning and booking lodgings, especially for locations NOT on Booking.com

Special Discussion:

Booking.com
- like it or not, it is a very useful tool on the Camino. I use it to screen for places, as it's mapping and search functions are highly refined. Then I might use Gronze to book using the property's website or call directly.

This avoids the "held back" rooms that Booking.com causes at most properties - not every room is sold via Booking.com. It also usually results in a small savings to both the property owner and the pilgrim, as Booking.com does not take it's normal - large - percentage of the booking amount.

So, I use Booking.com to identify a good location - I do not stay in albergues unless necessary - saving that for younger folks with better immune systems. Then I use Gronze to focus and zero in on a good value for money.

Language Apps -
Google Translate
MS Bing Translate

To Learn Spanish - Duolingo.com - I use it every day at home, then use the Duolingo app on my iPhone when traveling. I have an unbroken, six-year + run of daily Spanish lessons or at least practice.

There are many other apps available. Many pilgrims will have their favorites. To each his or her own. I tried to reduce this list to the bare minimum and generic apps that I have used for years.

Over the years, I have tried other apps and found them wanting, so they got deleted. One example is the Camino Ninja app. I came to discover that much of the content in this app was apparently "borrowed" from the Wise PIlgrim apps. Also, I believe the author of the Camino Ninja app passed away about a year or so ago. So, updates might not be forthcoming.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you! Iā€™ve book-marked this for reference. Iā€™m sure using various apps can be trial-and-error, but I figure that I can work out some of my needs and preferences before I leave home and Iā€™ll feel more prepared. But ā€¦ probably most of the learning curve happens while walking.

One caveat, I think that several of the apps can only be downloaded once you are in Spain. You may need to temporarily change the country setting in your phone to tell the Spanish APP Store that you are in Spain. Or, just wait until you are in Spain.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All! First time pilgrim here, planning the Portuguese route in July with my daughter.

For experienced pilgrims, which phone apps did you find most helpful/useful for navigation, finding lodging, safety, communication, etc.? (Or any suggestions, really.) I just downloaded Gronze, I have this forumā€™s app (Ivarā€™s), and Iā€™m sure there are others that would be good. We have iPhones.

For context, weā€™re American and have never been to Europe before. We speak a little Spanish, not fluently, and Iā€™m working on very basic Portuguese. I plan to use Google Translate as needed.

Thanks!
Hi, Iā€™ve walked the Frances and Portuguese routes and used the following:

Camino Ninja: amazing app for navigation but not sure itā€™s been kept up recently due to the designers passing

Booking.com: for booking ahead - most widely used in the region it seems

Google translate: English is well spoken but occasionally thereā€™s a concept or phrase thatā€™s not coming across - works well.

Thatā€™s it. Both paths are very well marked (with a few exceptions in some areas).

Enjoy - Buen Camino!

Thanks!
I am also preparing for my first Camino (Portuguese coastal/espiritual varient)
We leave in 6 weeks and have been preparing for 6 months.
We have downloaded most of the Apps -
Favorite is Buen Camino. It seems to track well with Brierleyā€™s guide -Camino Portuguese. I love this book - it shows all the alternative routes and why they are offered (and added distances). We did go through the book and remove the sections we wonā€™t need - we are walking from Vigo to Santiago. We are in the US too and if you are interested in the details of our SLOW Camino DM me. Are concerned that if relying on my iPhone my battery will die too soon. We do have the Wise Pilgrim app but like Buen Camino the best.
We also are using TripIt Pro to keep track of all of our flights and accommodation reservations. Loved it last year in the U.K.
for transport options, Rome2Rio canā€™t be beat!
We also have AllTrails that have been great finding places to train in our area and tracks your progress.
I am planning on downloading a virtual SIM card Airalo (spelling?) to access WiFi.
Whatā€™s App is a MUST app used by most in E.U., etc. it is a web-based encrypted app that lets you text (in their app) and make calls. Remember the international codes are needed. Tell you family in the US if they want to contact you.
Lastly - you said you were going in July. Are
you aware of the extreme temps and they more crowded? Have heard stories about heat stroke, etc.
and Google Translate. And Google Earth

Thank you. I also was thinking of putting a sticker on my phone case to remind myself that when we would use 911, they use 112.
I have fortunately never had to use it, but my understanding is AlertCops will get you directly to an English-speaking officer, whereas 112 would not - this would be critical in a time of need. Buen Camino, and I hope this is all just over-planning!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just installed the app. After installing it says THE APP SAYS ALERT COPS IS NOT WORKING and to call authorities directly
Maybe try it again after you get to Spain? I kind of recall getting something similar when I downloaded it a few years ago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino. Iā€™m also from the US and committed to doing my first Camino (Frances) about a year ago. Very first thing I did was start thinking in Metricā€”-especially distanceā€”Kmā€”. To help, I downloaded the free app ā€œUnits Plusā€ from the Apple App Store. Itā€™s helped a lot. Now when I talk to others about my training hikes and such, they ask: ā€˜whatā€™s that in milesā€™ā€”which makes me feel so European šŸ˜‚.

I agree that learning how to "think metrically" is very useful in preparing for a Camino (or nearly any trip outside of the U.S. for that matter.) I found it helpful to open my Google Maps settings and change my preferred units from miles to kilometers several months before I left for my Camino so that I could get used to seeing familiar distances (from my home to the supermarket, say) in their metric equivalent. (I did the same in my Weather apps by changing F to C.) By the time I began my walk I had a good sense of what a 15 km or 20 km or 30 km day would involve ā€” and how a 20 C day would feel compared to 30 C ā€” without having to convert anything specifically.

I agree that learning how to "think metrically" is very useful in preparing for a Camino (or nearly any trip outside of the U.S. for that matter.) I found it helpful to open my Google Maps settings and change my preferred units from miles to kilometers several months before I left for my Camino so that I could get used to seeing familiar distances (from my home to the supermarket, say) in their metric equivalent. (I did the same in my Weather apps by changing F to C.) By the time I began my walk I had a good sense of what a 15 km or 20 km or 30 km day would involve ā€” and how a 20 C day would feel compared to 30 C ā€” without having to convert anything specifically.
Thatā€™s such a clever idea and I never thought of that!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Have a look at 'Microsoft Translator', it splits your smartphone screen in two, the bottom is where your conversation appears live and on top which is upside down to you will display what you spoke in English to Spanish AND VICE VERSA!! Very handy for a live translation...

Thanks!
I would suggest an offline dictionary, the weather app AEMET, and booking.com

For information/day planning, which in my world really just means ā€œHow far to the first coffee break?ā€ I tend to use ā€œThe Ninjaā€ (Camino Ninja) but sadly it doesnā€™t cover the Mozarabe so Iā€™ll resort to Buen Camino or something of that ilk. But the Ninja covers most of the popular routes.

For navigation on all my journeys (hiking, cycle touring or Camino) I use Organic Maps on iOS. Offline maps without the tracking and ads that now bedevil Maps.me. Now imports both KML and GPX files.

For searching for businesses etc Google maps is clearly best, but needs a connection (I usually hike in flight mode for battery life considerations).

But most useful of all is WorkOutDoors which has an Apple Watch app that is unsurpassed. 95% of my quick checks are done with just a glance at the Watch (which has the same GPX track loaded as Organic Maps does on the phone).

If thereā€™s ever disagreement between yellow arrows and the map I tend to go with the yellow arrows unless thereā€™s a really pressing need not to.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Thanks!
One thing I have not seen mentioned is Godalesco. I have used it to check distances and plan stages. Otherwise the comprehensive list several people have mentioned I can echo. Gronze, wise pilgrim, Rome to Rio, Correos for luggage transfers if you happen to need that. If you find you have too much you can send your extra to Casa Ivar. Google translate. You can have dual SIM cards with one being an eSIM. For in county calling and the other for dealing with bank stuff back home.

General Reference Tools:
ALSA - Intercity buses

Special Discussion:

Booking.com

Language Apps -
Google Translate
MS Bing Translate

Hope this helps.

Tom
I had to take a screenshot of your list!

One thing I have not seen mentioned is Godalesco. I have used it to check distances and plan stages. Otherwise the comprehensive list several people have mentioned I can echo. Gronze, wise pilgrim, Rome to Rio, Correos for luggage transfers if you happen to need that. If you find you have too much you can send your extra to Casa Ivar. Google translate. You can have dual SIM cards with one being an eSIM. For in county calling and the other for dealing with bank stuff back home.
To be fair, @HeatherJourney asked for recommendations for apps, and some of those that you list are websites, and not phone apps. I use Godesalco extensively for planning and recommend it to those in their planning stages.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The app mapy.cz works on all platforms -- and the desktop/laptop versions, online on the website or offline on your computer, are great for detail route discovery. The offline maps are free to download, and the outdoor tab shows most Camino routes.

To be fair, @HeatherJourney asked for recommendations for apps, and some of those that you list are websites, and not phone apps. I use Godesalco extensively for planning and recommend it to those in their planning stages.
Pardon me for being off topic, but, that is why I mentioned it (planning), itā€™s been very useful to me (App or not). I also use Gronze.com so if there was an App for that I never used the App, just the web site. It seems a bit nit picky to exclude something that is so useful just because itā€™s, not an App. A friend (Sophie) recommended it to me. I went with no plan the first time 2018, at 64. I met Sophie and she had everything mapped out. Sheā€™d already done at least 3 or 4 Caminos, so she became a valued friend and resource over our time together. I thought to pass on the good fortune. FYI, I believe she also said ā€œor any suggestions reallyā€.

Hi, Iā€™ve walked the Frances and Portuguese routes and used the following:

Camino Ninja: amazing app for navigation but not sure itā€™s been kept up recently due to the designers passing

Booking.com: for booking ahead - most widely used in the region it seems

Google translate: English is well spoken but occasionally thereā€™s a concept or phrase thatā€™s not coming across - works well.

Thatā€™s it. Both paths are very well marked (with a few exceptions in some areas).

Enjoy - Buen Camino!
Camino Ninja is now being updated again. Always my app of choice - everyone has a favorite though. Best advice is to pick one you like, and have others installed as options. There's no exclusivity clause . . .

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.