• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apps

AJoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés Sept/Oct 2023
I leave to begin my pilgrimage at the end of the month. Initially I was not going to take any technology with me but have decided to carry my phone.

I downloaded the following Applications - Wise Pilgrim:Frances; Frances; and Buen Camino and I'm now confused as to which one is the most up-to-date and which to use, if any. I also have John Brierley's Guide.

Any guidance welcome.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino have up to date information. They are just organized a bit differently. I use both apps. Make sure that you have downloaded all the data and maps to be able to use them offline.

Both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino have up to date information. They are just organized a bit differently. I use both apps. Make sure that you have downloaded all the data and maps to be able to use them offline.
Thank you Trecile.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the Gronze.com website to be a great resource. It's a Spanish website but my android phone did a great job of automatically translating into English. It has all of the usual useful info on stages, towns, elevations etc. The reviews of accomodation are pretty accurate.

I found the Gronze.com website to be a great resource. It's a Spanish website but my android phone did a great job of automatically translating into English. It has all of the usual useful info on stages, towns, elevations etc. The reviews of accomodation are pretty accurate.
Thank you for this suggestion. I'll take a look.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Another vote for Gronze. It's Spanish-only, has an outdated design, and is pretty difficult to navigate; but it's the most comprehensive Camino resource that I know of.

I am having a great deal of trouble getting the Buen Camino app to download offline maps. Any advice welcome.
I know I used offline maps with ease on the Frances years ago but am now struggling on the Norte.
TIA

I am having a great deal of trouble getting the Buen Camino app to download offline maps. Any advice welcome.
I know I used offline maps with ease on the Frances years ago but am now struggling on the Norte.
TIA
Is it getting "stuck" in the download process? That's happened to me before. You need a good Internet connection and persistence! You can also send a message to the developer through the app.

I would also download the Wise Pilgrim app.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is it getting "stuck" in the download process? That's happened to me before. You need a good Internet connection and persistence! You can also send a message to the developer through the app.

I would also download the Wise Pilgrim app.
Thanks Trecile, I also have the Wise Pilgrim app but am very disappointed to find the Buen Camino app less functional than before.
😓

Thanks Trecile, I also have the Wise Pilgrim app but am very disappointed to find the Buen Camino app less functional than before.
😓
I understand because Buen Camino is my "go to" app. Just keep trying is all that I can say. You may even need to uninstall, or clear the app's cache.

I understand because Buen Camino is my "go to" app. Just keep trying is all that I can say. You may even need to uninstall, or clear the app's cache.
Many thanks Trecile.
Any tips on how to clear the app’s cache ? I have already reinstalled.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.