• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

iPhone 4S to use for calls in Spain

Drew1578

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2019
OK - after scouring the forums and looking on line I can't figure out if I should/could take my old iPhone 4S to Spain to use only as a phone and maybe use a map app (I'd get a SIM card in Spain for the phone) or maybe get a cheap phone just for phone calls while there (2 weeks). I'm guessing the iPhone 4S should still work and I don't want to load it down with unnecessary apps while I'm on the Camino Ingles.

I currently have a iPhone 8 which I'll take for photos and to use with WiFi but I do not want to replace the SIM in my current phone.

My carrier here in the US is ATT and they offer a package for phone use in Europe but I don't want to unless absolutely necessary to call home, etc.

Any fellow members out there that know more about phones than me?
I'd greatly any help.
Thanks.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
I donot use my iphone for calls . everywhere is wifi.
The caminho ingles takes 5 days to walk .

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
You can use skype to make calls when you are connected to wifi. Even to a phone number; you just need to have a few bucks on your skype account (buyable online in App store).

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
If your iPhone 4S is unlocked, you can use it with a Spanish SIM card. If it is not unlocked, contact the carrier you used it with here in the US (AT&T?) and they can provide instructions on how to unlock it.

As others have stated, there are many apps such as Skype, WhatsApp, etc, that allow you to make calls over wifi, but I personally prefer the security of being able to make calls anywhere, whether there is wifi available or not.

Drew1578

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2019
If your iPhone 4S is unlocked, you can use it with a Spanish SIM card. If it is not unlocked, contact the carrier you used it with here in the US (AT&T?) and they can provide instructions on how to unlock it.

As others have stated, there are many apps such as Skype, WhatsApp, etc, that allow you to make calls over wifi, but I personally prefer the security of being able to make calls anywhere, whether there is wifi available or not.

Yes - it's unlocked so that's why I thought about taking it. Since I'll be in Spain sightseeing after the Camino I thought it would be nice to be able to call my hotel or car rental company without having to deal with the additional charges from ATT if I don't need to. Plus there's always the slight chance I could forget my iPhone 8 somewhere and I'd still have another phone (I'm always thinking of the worse case scenario 😳)

Advertisement

Booking.com