Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Is it possible to "Jack Reacher" the Camino Frances - just for fun

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
This is just for fun .. lockdown meandering .. so, for those who don't know, Jack Reacher is a fictional hero. Ex army MP major who is now wandering around America, hitching and bus rides, without purpose. He stumbles across a problem, out-logics and outfights the bad guys, rescues the heroine, walks away - a modern Lone Ranger without the mask (or the weird light blue woollen onesie).

Now this is a modern version of old cowboy films as if you look at their horses they never seem to have anything on them as baggage, and never change their clothes either. He carries no baggage whatsoever except a toothbrush, not even a razor. When his clothes get dirty he goes into a cheap clothing store, completely outfits himself new and bins his old clothes.
Now, he mainly stays in motels so doesn't need bedding, toiletries, or towels.

Can this be done on Camino Frances? I use the Frances, (Camino de Santiago) as it has the most supporting infrastructure, towns and shops.

If money was no object - this is fantasy remember - then he wouldn't need any bathroom or bed items, just the toothbrush, but using refugios I would assume a small towel, bar of soap and razor and sleeping sheet?

So - refugio style Camino in summer ... could a rain jacket be rolled and tied around the waist and nothing else, except for water bottle clipped to belt. Or with a bum belt (fanny sack) or a tiny tiny tiny running minimalist backpack with those few items inside? Or just the toothbrush?

Would you do it? Could it be done? Pop in to the big supermarket in every city and buy all new, from the skin up, really cheap - very feasible. What would the problems be?
For me the very few essentials would build into a slightly larger bag - but what about the clothing thing?
Discuss :);):eek:

Last edited:
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
David,
Great idea for summer. I once
met a guy like that wearing only a kimono and clogs, no joke, going up Perdon!
Asked why, he answered "I like it"

In winter, however, one needs to be prepared with layers, food, etc.

Last edited:

Turga

Camino tortuga
Past OR future Camino
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
On my 2018 Camino, I saw an old man who was walking with only a plastic bag in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. I saw him several times over a couple of weeks and though he walked very slowly, it seemed he was always ahead of me. (Of course, I don’t know if he had some luggage sent along by some carrier service.)

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
David,
Great idea for summer. I once
met a guy like that wearing only a kimono and clogs, no joke, going up Perdon!
Asked why, he answered "I like it"

In winter, however, one needs to be prepared with layers, food, etc.

Jack Reacher wore heavy winter clothes in winter - is really to do with can one Jack Reacher the Camino I think.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Midieval pilgrim with surprised pikachu face..

You guys changed clothes? Took baths more than eastertides? You dint wear out your cloths first? As for sur names..just what was Jack reaching for? Sounds like a cut purse to me..
Ill see myself out!

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
There are four or five guys who live along the Camino and practice this lifestyle, more or less. They get their clothes from the "leave behind" bins. They do carry a small towel and poncho. They are prepared to sleep on the church porch if they have to. Their fellow pilgrims do not always treat them with respect.

Stroller

Past OR future Camino
Norte (2015), Frances (2016)
It would interesting to go as a mendicant, carry nothing not even money and see how it went. I seem to remember a, slightly weird, priest did just that, or something similar, for a while in the UK although I can't remember the reason. He seemed to do OK. Lurked outside supermarkets and asked people to buy him a banana or sandwich, which some did. In Spain how long it would take for the Guardia Civil to take an interest is anyones guess.

Past OR future Camino
I left home at a tender age with nowt but a sleeping bag and a toothbrush. The tender ministrations of Public Bath-houses, Spikes and the Salvation Army kept me clean(ish), sanitized and re-clothed from time-to-time.

The Camino Frances with just a tooth-brush (and a credit-card ;)) would be a doddle. Taxis are waterproof and warm, as are most Hotels and Paradors. I guess a walking pilgrim might want to carry an umbrella but then the likes of Jack Reacher, James Bond (another baggage free traveller) and Jason Bourne, even William Palmer, would just "acquire" whatever they need by whatever means must. Perhaps that explains the mysterious disappearances, frequently reported, of walking-poles, boots, mobile 'phones and cash from varied locations.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Recently watched the Ken Burns series on PBS about Hemingway. Ernest might have broken all of the norms we all feel are sacred.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Various ones.
I have met and walked with two guys who live permanently on the Camino, a Spanish guy Juan who had little dog called Bella, and Joe who was from France, they both liked their drink, they would sleep rough usually outside of churches, they relied on the generosity of the people they met, they both knew Camino lore inside out, they had places up and down the Frances where they felt they could get shelter at night if they turned up and they both had hacking wheezing coughs from the damp that would get into their lungs through sleeping outside in Winter. It's not an easy life, but with Joe I felt he would rather be nowhere else.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads