• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Business ideas? - Just for fun!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry to go on but - they sell them at roadside stands too? I was wondering as they can be handheld ... I can see them all the way down the Camino!! So Spain doesn't have anything similar? They would be an exotic import?
p.s. I'm hungry now!!
oh, I get it - fast food restaurants - what we call takeaways? You can sit in but also buy and go? eat them on a bench, etc - right, no more questions, I have them now - thanks.
I am surprised that you don't seem to know roti. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti

Another flat bread, unleavened and from the Indian subcontinent 🍛

Or more generally, flatbread. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbread

Although some flatbreads that you may have come across when you head down for your kebab and lager, such as Pita 🫓 🌯 are leavened.

I had an Indian friend years ago who grew up in India. She taught me to make their flatbread, but she called it chapata.
Screenshot_20231105-152434~2.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had an Indian friend years ago who grew up in India. She taught me to make their flatbread, but she called it chapata.
I make a slightly modified version using a little mashed potato to replace some of the flour. Very similar to the Scottish potato scone but thinner. It stops the flatbread from becoming dry and brittle quite so quickly. Last year in Norway I discovered lompe which are very similar but with a higher ratio of potato to flour. Delicious! It quickly became a staple for my picnic meals in a country where food can be very expensive.

tattiechapatti.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they even have Greek gyros...a favorite of mine.😋
I love gyros in Crete. So maybe a Mexican Burrito stand 7 kms from Carrion, and a Greek Gyros stand after another 7 kms? With "free" raki (Greek moonshine) and mescal (Mexican moonshine, you know, with an ugly insect at the bottom for added flavour) at the respective places? Will add 2 € per serving to increase my profit...

Will rise my profit to more than +1 mill more € per year.

Boy, the future's so bright, I have to wear shades...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With "free" raki (Greek moonshine) and mescal (Mexican moonshine, you know, with an ugly insect at the bottom for added flavour) at the respective places?
Once I have my orujo distillery set up maybe we can make a deal. Possibly even produce a special Camino-themed spirit using Cimex instead of Comadia in the bottle?...

Once I have my orujo distillery set up maybe we can make a deal. Possibly even produce a special Camino-themed spirit using Cimex instead of Comadia in the bottle?...
I'll accept your moonshine production & delivery to my franchise for a solid 10 cents/centilitre (giving me a 45% profit). We can add permethrin to the booze and thus solve the bedbug problem: No bedbug will ever dare to approach our customers (pilgrims). It will be a win-win blockbuster, bringing a new era to the Caminos: A bedbug-free Camino. Pour in some Cimex for good measure. Also consider to add amphetamin, so people can walk longer days and have worse blisters, Will be good for my Compeed vending machines.

Last edited:
@Bradypus and @alexwalker, you guys are going way past any knowledge I have of spirits, but when I hear Orujo mentioned, @Tincatinker always pops into my mind. If you make it...he will come.😅
Delicious! It quickly became a staple for my picnic meals in a country where food can be very expensive.
I love it when a man enjoys cooking or baking.😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love it when a man enjoys cooking or baking.😊
I love to cook. Especially baking. And after spending a few months in India way back in a previous century I especially love to cook Indian-style food. Things like samosas, idli, chapatti, naan and daal. But I also love to bake bread, pizzas and bagels. My wife has no interest in cooking so I have pretty much free rein in the kitchen. Suits me! :)

Yes, they even have Greek gyros...a favorite of mine.😋
Yep pretty much every type of food you could ever imagine in London, probably along with New York and maybe LA, the world leaders. With colleagues we used to go out for dinner each month and go to a restaurant of a different nationality each time working through the alphabet. So A = Armenian B Brasilan, etc!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes , officially you do have to use an official credencial if you want to get a compostela. This has not been a make-or-break for me and so I have been happy to take the risk. That said, I have received/bought a compostela each time I have used a homemade credencial! There must be some naughty volunteers in the office - don't count on it if it matters to you though.
Here's my pretty-battered-but-much-loved credencial from 2018 (photo on the cover is from my 2014 camino)

View attachment 159774 View attachment 159775 View attachment 159776 View attachment 159777 View attachment 159778

An astute observer may even notice I pulled it out at Immigration on my return to NZ and after a chat about my camino, they happily gave me one last stamp!
A note for anyone else doing something similar...make sure you use paper that readily accepts stamps. This was watercolour paper that had too much tooth and some of the scraps I sewed on were too shiny.

As for my next one....I'm taking a bigger risk in that I will be stamping each day in a wee journal. I'll also be adding an elevation profile, weather details, albergue details and food I eat, distance covered....and there's room for a sketch or two. I can tell I'm going to love it! (The "Vaya con Dios" photo is from our very first camino - it's on a wall just after Monte de Gozo and any time we enter Santiago from that direction we make our own little pilgrimage to the spot....particularly as we were standing right there one year when we heard someone very special to us had just died. It's curious how a place can hold a memory)

View attachment 159779 View attachment 159780 View attachment 159781 View attachment 159782
Those are fantastic credencials, well done. Almost like the quilts different generations make and pass on to the next. But exactly this point is what I had in mind, see how creative people make their credencials if allowed to.

Gelateria in Caldas de Reis or Redondela on the Portugues. On a very warm August camino in 2022, we couldn't help notice these are the only towns on our Coastal/Central walk that lacked this critical service. Both are pleasant towns too.

For anyone seriously interested, Bico de Xeado, a Galician dairy coop, is franchising:
Or maybe, since it's the Portugues, these guys...they're franchising too! ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What!? Are you trying to start another war? Ouzo is Greek, Raki (rhymes with barker) is Turkish. I defy anyone to tell the difference.
At least in Crete, you will almost everywhere be served a shot or 2 of raki at the end of a restaurant meal. Ouzo is more expensive to give away...

An umbrella rental company: in each albergue you can either rent an umbrella before walking under rain, or giving it back after arriving to the albergue.
No need to carry an umbrella, you just have it when you need it.
"Umbrella-on-demand" could be the name of the company.
(Note: My idea is not free of royalties, it costs a ración of pimientos de Padrón plus a caña)

Hi - if you were going to start a niche business on Camino what would you do? Not copies of what is already there but something, well, from home I guess.

- this is for fun, no need to go into property rents or licences or Schengen time limits - just fun fantasy.

1. For certain I would place an ice-cream van or stand at the top of that climb out of Castrojeriz, where that small building is .... can you imagine finally getting to the top to see an ice cream van in front of you?? Who could walk past that??

2. I would open a traditional English café, well down the Camino for when pilgrims have finally had enough of badly made weak tepid tea and bread that cuts your gums and slices of tasteless cold lumpy potato omelettes, etc ...
So! - with only English bread - sausages, bacon, beans, eggs, toast and marmalade and so on for breakfasts (with veggie option), maybe porridge, and simple lunches such as home-made Cornish pasties and baked beans and chips ... and in the afternoon? English cream teas!! .. scones, thick cream, strawberry jam, proper tea in teapots with cups and saucers, not mugs!! - and napkins, not thin paper serviettes!

Open at 6 am and close at 5pm, every evening free .... What's not to like??

So - looking back at your Caminos .. was there something you thought would be "just right" there?

Do tell ;)😂
Oh yes ! Timber built nice toilets 1e with paper and warm water to wash your hands

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also have an idea for umbrellas, but it would be a stand selling sun protective hands free umbrellas at the start of the Meseta in the warm season.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe someone is already making a Camino-themed spirit (a gin) using plants found along the Camino. I think I heard about it on one of the Camino-themed podcasts a while ago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.