• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to skip Vigo?

MarieLauFlorin

Time of past OR future Camino
See list below
I walked the Camino Portuguese Coastal route in October. Walking into Vigo and out again felt like an endless walk in the asphalt jungle even though we enjoyed the beach and Parque de Castrelos. A question for next time: Is there a waymarked connection route from Baiona or Ramallosa to the central route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Portuguese Coastal route in October. Walking into Vigo and out again felt like an endless walk in the asphalt jungle even though we enjoyed the beach and Parque de Castrelos. A question for next time: Is there a waymarked connection route from Baiona or Ramallosa to the central route?
We loved Baiona, but we heard about the endless walking into and out of Vigo. So we bypassed it via bus, as we do around other big cities that resemble walking in any big cities. And no fun with a pack on your back. If you are "camino purist" -- walking every step -- I'm not aware of any way to bypass Vigo unless you backtrack on the coastal.

In two Camino's Vigo was my least favorite. No arrows, I felt lost most of the time I was in the city. I always kept the sea to my left so I knew eventually I would get back on the trail but I too would not mind skipping that city if I ever walk the Portuguese again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I enjoyed Vigo last year very much, we actually slept on a sailboat anchored in the harbor, thanks to a listing on Booking.com! However, we did take a taxi from the outskirts to the marina to avoid the long slog into the city. We also had a great breakfast in town at a lovely, very dainty and elegant bakery. The walk out was lovely, lots of great views and a chance for my friend to buy some new sneakers as her walking shoes were not working out. But I can certainly understand wanting to skip it, or at least take transportation to avoid the slog. Buen Camino!

If you check Open Street Map there are a number of options to bypass Vigo but if you want to connect to the CP then you might have to construct your own e.g use the GR53 to connect at Porrino

Again checking OSM, there is a leg of the CP called Caminho Nossa Senhora do Norte but can't see anything else about it, and it wanders about so much, can't see where it connects.

By all means skip Vigo but don't miss Vigo at Xmas

Attachments

• P1000339.JPG
    P1000339.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 39
  • P1000341.JPG
    P1000341.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • P1000343.JPG
    P1000343.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
When I walked the Portugues Coastal route in 2018, I didn’t take the route into Vigo along the water. I wish I had. I’ve since seen videos of it, and it looks like a beautiful walk. I took a bus from the stadium and stayed downtown near the port. In the early morning I took a taxi to Church of the Peaks (Immaculate Conception), and picked up the Camino route there, thus avoiding a long slog up the hill on dark city streets. I had a difficult time finding arrows there in the dark, but looking at the church, take the street to the right uphill. It's a pleasant walk from there to Redondela, but with few services.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please see Efren Gonzalez's vlog:
Once you cross Rio Lagares on Rua de Canido (PO-324), follow the trail that follows Rio Lagares. This route takes you through the outskirts of vigo, away from the harbor.

1673976769691.png

Not exactly what you want, but the route I did. I stopped at Caminho and next day walk along river to Valencia and stayed in Albergue. The next day crossed iron bridge into Spain into Tui a lovely town I thought.

Attachments

• 0889DD04-DE9D-4509-98D5-A4CE0757727A.png
    0889DD04-DE9D-4509-98D5-A4CE0757727A.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
We took the above recommended route along the southern side of the Rio Minho from Caminha to Valenca and Tui and were very happy we did. It was scenic and fairly flat. Having been in Vigo separately I am glad we didn’t have to walk through what is basically a huge metropolitan region. Also having walked the coastal route from Porto we felt we’d experienced enough of the coast by the time we reached Caminha, which is a delightful city.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We loved Baiona, but we heard about the endless walking into and out of Vigo. So we bypassed it via bus, as we do around other big cities that resemble walking in any big cities. And no fun with a pack on your back. If you are "camino purist" -- walking every step -- I'm not aware of any way to bypass Vigo unless you backtrack on the coastal.
It felt truly endless. I am no purist but dislike driving when I am on a pilgrimage. It feels to fast for me.

In two Camino's Vigo was my least favorite. No arrows, I felt lost most of the time I was in the city. I always kept the sea to my left so I knew eventually I would get back on the trail but I too would not mind skipping that city if I ever walk the Portuguese again.
Agree totally.

I enjoyed Vigo last year very much, we actually slept on a sailboat anchored in the harbor, thanks to a listing on Booking.com! However, we did take a taxi from the outskirts to the marina to avoid the long slog into the city. We also had a great breakfast in town at a lovely, very dainty and elegant bakery. The walk out was lovely, lots of great views and a chance for my friend to buy some new sneakers as her walking shoes were not working out. But I can certainly understand wanting to skip it, or at least take transportation to avoid the slog. Buen Camino!
What an experience sleeping on a sailboat! Agree about the nice views right after Vigo - the part called Ruta del Agua

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you check Open Street Map there are a number of options to bypass Vigo but if you want to connect to the CP then you might have to construct your own e.g use the GR53 to connect at Porrino

Again checking OSM, there is a leg of the CP called Caminho Nossa Senhora do Norte but can't see anything else about it, and it wanders about so much, can't see where it connects.

By all means skip Vigo but don't miss Vigo at Xmas
This is SO useful! Thanks a lot. Will look at this option. Could be if there was a waymarked camino option to skip Vigo. Thank you so much.

O
When I walked the Portugues Coastal route in 2018, I didn’t take the route into Vigo along the water. I wish I had. I’ve since seen videos of it, and it looks like a beautiful walk. I took a bus from the stadium and stayed downtown near the port. In the early morning I took a taxi to Church of the Peaks (Immaculate Conception), and picked up the Camino route there, thus avoiding a long slog up the hill on dark city streets. I had a difficult time finding arrows there in the dark, but looking at the church, take the street to the right uphill. It's a pleasant walk from there to Redondela, but with few services.

I did actually walk along the harbour. It was nice, but it was a short moment compared to the immense amount of traffic ans asphalt in total going in and out of Vigo. Totally sure I will not go to Vigo next time even though the views out where nice after Vigo.

Not exactly what you want, but the route I did. I stopped at Caminho and next day walk along river to Valencia and stayed in Albergue. The next day crossed iron bridge into Spain into Tui a lovely town I thought.

Good option too, but I ended up in Vigo, because I wanted to do Oia - Baiona this time, and the cost for that seems to be Vigo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So happy to read this thread as I felt the same way about Vigo. It was just such a let - down after Baiona and all that had gone before. I walked in June 2020 just barely out of lockdown so no albergues open and mistakenly booked accommodation in the downtown area. The pavements were on fire and after the cool of the ocean and welcome shaded parts of the day it was too hot to handle. There were no lovely shells or arrows to find your way out in the morning but like others just headed up and away until I was back on track. I would love to do the coastal another time and will take one of the suggested Vigo diversions. Vigo does not care about pilgrims!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back