• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is mid-November 2013 too late for Sarria to Santiago?

Hello, I'm a beginner walker with horrible map-reading skills, looking to do a self-guided camino. Is mid-November too late to do this, weather-wise? I am told November is rainy and cold, and that I need to be really good at walking in the dark because the days are shorter. I really want to go! But am wondering if I've missed the boat (for beginner hikers) this year, and maybe should be patient (for safety's sake) and do it next year. Any thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you pressed for time? I mean , do you have very few day to walk your Camino? If not you don´t have to walk in the dark at all. Just walk at your own pace and enjoy the countryside as you go along. Stop where you want to. The Camino is to be enjoyed , it´s not to be a penance.

As I said in the other post I have walked the Camino Frances only in summer. I didn´t leave the albergue till the sun was out. I had breakfast at a nearby bar then started out walking. Later I would stop again and had breakfast number two, rest, chatted with local & peregrinos and continued. When I saw fit I would call it a day.

I agree in November the days are shorter but how many hours do you plan to walk? If you plan to walk 6 hours a day , you´ll still have sunlight here.

Buen Camino!

Hi Sarah,

If you do choose to walk in November you will not be alone. Although the throngs of summer will have gone there are some pilgrims walking everyday.

Be sure to check out what other pilgrims and I have written in these earlier Forum posts about walking in late October and November. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ga-to-santiago-in-november.20754/#post-160940 and >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-camino-frances-in-october-november.17421/

In November the sun rises about 8am and sets about 5pm but you NEED NOT walk in the dark!! I never do. Many an early albergue morning I have brewed a cup of tea and
waited for dawn since I can't relax when walking in the dark no matter how determined I might be.

Although long distance macho trekkers doing 50 k per day might choose to rise early and start well before dawn wearing head lamps to light their path, I feel it is safer to see by natural light where to place my feet and, of course, to enjoy the surrounding landscape in the light. Whenever the path is hidden by heavy rain, deep mud or snow for safety I try to walk on a parallel lane. In winter conditions Gendarmes warn pilgrims not to cross the mountains by path since conditions can be too dangerous; if you fall you are hidden. Hence follow the lanes.

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sarah!

I've never walked in November (October is my latest) but I wouldn't worry too much about not being experienced. We all have to get experience somewhere, and where better than a well marked route with good facilities and people to keep an eye on each other?

I'd be more concerned about the rain and subsequent mud etc than the lack of daylight. You are likely to get wet at some point so be very well prepared. This is one of those times when it is worth taking advice from a good outdoor shop and maybe spending a bit more than usual to get gear that protects and dries quickly. If you're UK-based I've found Cotswold to be a good shop for advice and good kit.

Have fun and buen camino!

Are you pressed for time? I mean , do you have very few day to walk your Camino? If not you don´t have to walk in the dark at all. Just walk at your own pace and enjoy the countryside as you go along. Stop where you want to. The Camino is to be enjoyed , it´s not to be a penance.

As I said in the other post I have walked the Camino Frances only in summer. I didn´t leave the albergue till the sun was out. I had breakfast at a nearby bar then started out walking. Later I would stop again and had breakfast number two, rest, chatted with local & peregrinos and continued. When I saw fit I would call it a day.

I agree in November the days are shorter but how many hours do you plan to walk? If you plan to walk 6 hours a day , you´ll still have sunlight here.

Buen Camino!

Thanks, MendiWalker! I have all the time in the world. However, since I'd like to book baggage transfer services, I need to follow a planned schedule! I would love to do the hardcore camino experience of stopping where my feet take me at the end of the day; perhaps one day when I'm in shape! I am happy to walk 7 hours a day or so, I will get there eventually!

Hi Sarah!

I've never walked in November (October is my latest) but I wouldn't worry too much about not being experienced. We all have to get experience somewhere, and where better than a well marked route with good facilities and people to keep an eye on each other?

I'd be more concerned about the rain and subsequent mud etc than the lack of daylight. You are likely to get wet at some point so be very well prepared. This is one of those times when it is worth taking advice from a good outdoor shop and maybe spending a bit more than usual to get gear that protects and dries quickly. If you're UK-based I've found Cotswold to be a good shop for advice and good kit.

Have fun and buen camino!
Hi Tyrrek! I like the idea of "well-marked route" -- worst case scenario, do you think I can get away with following the arrows instead of reading a map? Thanks for the tip re mud. Will speak to Cotswold! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sarah,

If you do choose to walk in November you will not be alone. Although the throngs of summer will have gone there are some pilgrims walking everyday.

Be sure to check out what other pilgrims and I have written in these earlier Forum posts about walking in late October and November. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ga-to-santiago-in-november.20754/#post-160940 and >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-camino-frances-in-october-november.17421/

In November the sun rises about 8am and sets about 5pm but you NEED NOT walk in the dark!! I never do. Many an early albergue morning I have brewed a cup of tea and
waited for dawn since I can't relax when walking in the dark no matter how determined I might be.

Although long distance macho trekkers doing 50 k per day might choose to rise early and start well before dawn wearing head lamps to light their path, I feel it is safer to see by natural light where to place my feet and, of course, to enjoy the surrounding landscape in the light. Whenever the path is hidden by heavy rain, deep mud or snow for safety I try to walk on a parallel lane. In winter conditions Gendarmes warn pilgrims not to cross the mountains by path since conditions can be too dangerous; if you fall you are hidden. Hence follow the lanes.

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret! You have a most amazing blog! THANK YOU for sharing all that information! I personally would have preferred to do the camino in warmer /drier conditions, however, the opportunity presents itself in November and I want to grab it! Your blog certainly makes me want to do so! Sarah

Hi Tyrrek! I like the idea of "well-marked route" -- worst case scenario, do you think I can get away with following the arrows instead of reading a map? Thanks for the tip re mud. Will speak to Cotswold! Buen Camino!
Hi. Yes, the arrows are usually enough while you're actually walking. It's useful to have a guide book so you know what's coming up each day (how far between towns/watering holes etc) but it's the arrows that tell you where to go at any given point. At peak times of year you also have a steady stream of pilgrims to follow, but maybe not so much in November. After the first couple of days your eyes will become trained to spot a yellow arrow at 200 paces! Buen Camino!

Hi Sarah. Like you i am a complete novice & as for map reading skills well i may aswell not have a map. I am also planning on walking Sarria to santiago 19th - 28th Nov, ive given myself that lenght of time as i really dont fancy walking in the dark and dont want to be under any pressure in regards to weather conditions & just to be able to rea;;y enjoy the experience! So have you decided to do it??? Reading some of the replies to your post is very reassuring as i was picturing myself out wandering on my own, but seems nov is still quite a popular time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.