• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is next week too soon for my first Camino Frances?

JoJo16

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2018
Hi Everyone,
I live in the UK and I have wanted to do the camino for a long time but have never found the opportunity. I find myself at a point where I feel it's time to get away. I need to take some time and space for myself and am thinking of going within the next week. I feel a bit nervous and am frantically researching as much as possible and just came across this forum. I have many questions such as how long to go for? Booking in advance v not. Will I be safe walking alone? Which bit to do if I only decide to go for a couple of weeks etc etc etc....

Am I mad just booking a flight and going for it??? I'm fairly fit but haven't done much hiking lately

Would love to hear from anyone out there.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello @JoJo16 welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to walk the Camino. You will be offered lots of advice very soon but it would help forum members to help you if you can give an indication of how many days you have available, whether it is important to you to reach Santiago, if you prefer to have stretches of solitude or would enjoy company. As a woman who walked the Camino Frances for the first time alone, and at the age of 66 I can reassure you about safety, just use the same cautions you would at home. Footwear will be the most important aspect of planning and @davebugg on this forum and others have the expertise you need. Just search by name or subject and Buen Camino!

just my humble opinion but Ive been planning forever and I have thought often how much simpler it would be to just....GO!!!
Ive thought and re thought...bought and re bought.... sought and re sought equipment, advice, information.

Im sure you will be totally fine. Spain is not a third world country. You can buy everything you might need as you go.
Please post about your experience after your walk....

Best of luck
Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go for it! And once you decide where to start, do book your first night's lodging (Day 0 of your Camino). For Day 1 and beyond, you can see how it goes and start booking ahead if you see that you're starting to race with others in order to get a bed. Except for the very remote Caminos, you should be fine walking alone during this season - the Camino Inglés, Camino Portugués, Camino Francés, Camino Primitivo, and the Camino del Norte are all in their busy periods. If you're fairly fit and willing to walk slow when you need to, your lack of hiking lately shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thank you SEB that's helpful.
At this point I'm not sure if it is important for me to reach Santiago - sounds cliche but I have a feeling the journey for me right now is more important than the destination. The most important thing for me is to have some time alone but also walking with others - but not too many of them! :)
I definitely have at least a couple of weeks and can't decide to do the beginning end or middle! I also don't know whether I am brave enough not to book accommodation in advance or not.!

Hello @JoJo16 welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to walk the Camino. You will be offered lots of advice very soon but it would help forum members to help you if you can give an indication of how many days you have available, whether it is important to you to reach Santiago, if you prefer to have stretches of solitude or would enjoy company. As a woman who walked the Camino Frances for the first time alone, and at the age of 66 I can reassure you about safety, just use the same cautions you would at home. Footwear will be the most important aspect of planning and @davebugg on this forum and others have the expertise you need. Just search by name or subject and Buen Camino!
Just found the reply button! Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @JoJo16, what's your local hub airport, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead? If you only have a couple of weeks to enjoy the Caminos you'll not want to spend to much time fluffing about on public transport.
You could maybe fly to Oviedo (Asturias) and walk the Primitivo. Plenty of Pilgrims this time of year but not the teeming hordes of the Frances. Or fly to A Coruna and walk the Ingles and out to Fisterra / Muxia.

This time of year if you've got a decent pair of Trainers that you can walk 15 miles a day in you're good to go. Just pack light and start slowly and never pass-up the opportunity for a drink in the shade

Hi @JoJo16, what's your local hub airport, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead? If you only have a couple of weeks to enjoy the Caminos you'll not want to spend to much time fluffing about on public transport.
You could maybe fly to Oviedo (Asturias) and walk the Primitivo. Plenty of Pilgrims this time of year but not the teeming hordes of the Frances. Or fly to A Coruna and walk the Ingles and out to Fisterra / Muxia.

This time of year if you've got a decent pair of Trainers that you can walk 15 miles a day in you're good to go. Just pack light and start slowly and never pass-up the opportunity for a drink in the shade
Hi Tincatinker, I live in Devon so guessing will need to travel to London. I was thinking Stansted to Biarritz maybe St Jean de PP? I was hoping the early part of the Frances wouldn't have "hordes"... I will take a look at the others. Thanks for the trainer advice too... does that stand for all routes?

You can take the Camino at your own pace and start and stop anywhere there's a place to stay. Perhaps the first thing is to decide which route you'd like.
The Camino's get busier closer to Santiago, particular the last 100k, so if you are looking for quiet that might be a consideration.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How about Bristol to Porto and walk the Portuguese Camino?

I hate to contradict ;) but for a first Camino, done without much planning, I'd recommend the francés? I may live to eat my words (or my hat, whichever) but there aren't 'hordes' of people in July.... Or if there are, I don't know where they go!
Just go @JoJo16 , make sure your shoes are comfortable and don't overdo it the for the first few days - even if you are young and sporty! Take it easy to start with and you'll be fine.
Buen Camino :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hate to contradict ;) but for a first Camino, done without much planning, I'd recommend the francés? I may live to eat my words (or my hat, whichever) but there aren't 'hordes' of people in July.... Or if there are, I don't know where they go!
Just go @JoJo16 , make sure your shoes are comfortable and don't overdo it the for the first few days - even if you are young and sporty! Take it easy to start with and you'll be fine.
Buen Camino :)
Thanks Domigee! I have to say after researching some of the other suggestions, I think I'm erring towards the Frances - it feels like the right one for me. I'm thinking about starting at St Jean and just seeing how it goes. So now to figure out what size rucksack I need and how little I can manage with. I wouldn't describe myself as feeling very young and sporty at present.. but hoping to feel younger and sportier by the end! (well in mind if not in body :)

Thanks Domigee! I have to say after researching some of the other suggestions, I think I'm erring towards the Frances - it feels like the right one for me. I'm thinking about starting at St Jean and just seeing how it goes. So now to figure out what size rucksack I need and how little I can manage with. I wouldn't describe myself as feeling very young and sporty at present.. but hoping to feel younger and sportier by the end! (well in mind if not in body :)

@JoJo16 I have sent you a PM (private message) offering equipment, including an Osprey backpack if needed and a contact email address for fast response. I am highlighting it here in case you didn't know to look in your inbox.

Hi Tincatinker, I live in Devon so guessing will need to travel to London. I was thinking Stansted to Biarritz maybe St Jean de PP? I was hoping the early part of the Frances wouldn't have "hordes"... I will take a look at the others. Thanks for the trainer advice too... does that stand for all routes?
Hi JoJo,

I also live in Devon and am leaving with my son on Sunday to walk the Camino Frances. We are not flying but going on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander then travelling by bus and train and will be in St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday to start walking next Wednesday,

Buen Camino,

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi JoJo,

I also live in Devon and am leaving with my son on Sunday to walk the Camino Frances. We are not flying but going on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander then travelling by bus and train and will be in St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday to start walking next Wednesday,

Buen Camino,

Mike
Hi Mike, I may very well be starting around then too! Perhaps our paths may cross. I'm not a good sailor so will probably fly.
Buen Camino!

Starting in St Jean is a very good start. Make sure you go to the pilgrim’s office first and they’ll give you all the info. you need. Buen camino :)

Go for it is what I say! For backpack size, I suggest something in the mid-30 liter range. I’d get it fitted by a pro rather than just ordering something off the inter webs. Your footgear is the most important piece of gear. Best to wear something that’s already worn in. If you have a pair of tennis shoes that are comfortable, I’d wear those rather than wearing something new. If you’ve got the time and the inclination to do it now, then do it now I say.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Everyone,
I live in the UK and I have wanted to do the camino for a long time but have never found the opportunity. I find myself at a point where I feel it's time to get away. I need to take some time and space for myself and am thinking of going within the next week. I feel a bit nervous and am frantically researching as much as possible and just came across this forum. I have many questions such as how long to go for? Booking in advance v not. Will I be safe walking alone? Which bit to do if I only decide to go for a couple of weeks etc etc etc....

Am I mad just booking a flight and going for it??? I'm fairly fit but haven't done much hiking lately

Best 3 words of advise I received after talking about it for years - "Just do it"

Hi Everyone,

You are not crazy, Go For It!!!!!!! Remember, that nothing is permanent or etched in stone, if you begin
and have issues, there is always help along the way; buses, taxis, pharmacies, stores and ultimately
other pilgrims and angels you will meet along the way. Just my suggestion, but I would consider walking the
CP central or coast. Less pilgrims, beautiful people and scenery and the best part is taking the Variante Espiritual once you reach Pontevedra, which is magical! If nothing else, getting there is the first step!
Blessings pilgrim and Bom caminho

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
First time I arrived in Saint-Jean 6 days after deciding to go, completely unprepared and with a 20kg pack! I was completely unfit and overweight but I had the time of my life. So I would say absolutely go for it. For a two week Camino I would suggest starting in LeĂłn. There are lots of cheap flights to Madrid and there is a good train service from Madrid Charmatin to LeĂłn. Alternatively, just do the first two weeks from Saint-Jean to Burgos and come back next year to complete it. Either way go for it. Buen Camino.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement. What a lovely community this is!
Flight to Biarritz is booked for Tuesday! I'm just going to start at St Jean and see how I go.
I have found the rucksack I used in Peru about 10 years ago. It is a Berghaus 30+6 with freeflow back system. It fits me well - just hoping it will be big enough. Somewhere I have some walking shoes/boots if I can find them (much of my stuff in storage at present. But if not sounds like trainers will be ok. I'll do a practice day with my pack on Sunday to see how far I can manage.
All very exciting now - thanks again everyone!

Hi Everyone,

JoJo, if you need to get away 'now" then by all means, go! However, if you have some flexibility, I would hold off until the fall when crowds start to diminish and the weather is great. I recently walked the Camino Francis from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Santiago in Sept-Oct and it was perfect. By the way, I recommend going "solo," you won't regret it. Have a good journey. Rover

Go, by this time next week you will be living a dream. I did not see them mentioned, so be sure you have trekking poles.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
JoJo, if you need to get away 'now" then by all means, go! However, if you have some flexibility, I would hold off until the fall when crowds start to diminish and the weather is great. I recently walked the Camino Francis from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Santiago in Sept-Oct and it was perfect. By the way, I recommend going "solo," you won't regret it. Have a good journey. Rover
Thanks Rover - the time is now for me... however, I may not be able to do it all - so perhaps I'll go back in September.

Jo Jo, I decided I needed to get away from it all and booked a flight and accomadation and just went for it in May on the Camino Ingles, so in my humble opinion you most definately are not mad. It was an amazing experience and gave me plenty of time to myself but I also met some fantastic people when I felt like being sociable.
I agree with Tinkatinker about the footwear, I wore a pair of Karrimor galaxy trainers for most the way and even wore my Crocs for some of it.
So in final, if you feel the Camino calling go for it:)
P.s. I am planning on doing it again next year, but maybe that is being a bit mad lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah, @Landon Ricketts it's got you. You'll spend your evenings on here, your days planning: and then you'll do it again...
Welcome to the Camino Peregrino ;0)
lolllsss well yes, I think you are right. Although one of the main reasons I want to do it again is that I didn't quite manage to qualify for the compostela this time. Like they say, if you want to make a God laugh; tell them you have plans;)

Find those hiking shoes/boots, put them on now and walk EVERYWHERE in them. Make sure they're really comfy and supportive. Shoes are everything. Put your vital essentials in your pack and then fill it with other necessities (I highly recommend a second pair of walking shoes, preferably sandals, like Keens). Walk with your pack tomorrow as far as you can go, then go home. Remove the stuff you can live without. Yes, you can buy almost anything along the Camino, but just not anytime or everywhere. But you CAN leave stuff behind. Make a reservation for somewhere to sleep in St Jean, and then yes... just go! ¡A muy buen Camino to you, JoJo16! Keep us posted.

Hi Everyone,

Go for it
Download John Brierley's book. For a first timer it will tell you all you need to know. If you haven't trained, depending on your age, you might want to start in Roncesvalles. Do it however you want. It is your Camino. There are many options for bus, train, taxi. You will never be far from other pilgrims. Booking.com had great options if you can afford a little extra expense.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement. What a lovely community this is!
Flight to Biarritz is booked for Tuesday! I'm just going to start at St Jean and see how I go.
I have found the rucksack I used in Peru about 10 years ago. It is a Berghaus 30+6 with freeflow back system. It fits me well - just hoping it will be big enough. Somewhere I have some walking shoes/boots if I can find them (much of my stuff in storage at present. But if not sounds like trainers will be ok. I'll do a practice day with my pack on Sunday to see how far I can manage.
All very exciting now - thanks again everyone!
Congrats. Your bag should still have space when all your stuff is in it. Mine was/is 25 and was ok, although my walking companion carried one of 30 and had some common things in it. She wore trainers and no problem. If you arrive at an albergue late and there is no bed, especially at the start, hospitaleros can communicate to check bed availability ahead... in my experience at one albergue, I have seen exhausted pilgrims being driven a few kilometres , and others encouraged with some food and water, to walk the distance if they are capable, once the next albergue has assured of bed spaces. You will see yourself once you connect with other pilgrims the distances you want to walk. You will possibly reach Pamplona, walking through to Cizur Menor, on the last day of the San Fermin jamboree. You sound as if you have swallowed some of the slogan from a few years back: Yes, I can! Buen Camino, peregrina.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Find those hiking shoes/boots, put them on now and walk EVERYWHERE in them. Make sure they're really comfy and supportive. Shoes are everything. Put your vital essentials in your pack and then fill it with other necessities (I highly recommend a second pair of walking shoes, preferably sandals, like Keens). Walk with your pack tomorrow as far as you can go, then go home. Remove the stuff you can live without. Yes, you can buy almost anything along the Camino, but just not anytime or everywhere. But you CAN leave stuff behind. Make a reservation for somewhere to sleep in St Jean, and then yes... just go! ¡A muy buen Camino to you, JoJo16! Keep us posted.
Great advice thank you!

Just go for it JoJo :) I completed the Frances solo in 2016 and set off again to St Jean next Thursday, with my partner. Only accommodation booked is St Jean and Orrison, the rest we will take as we find, for me that is one of the attractions of the Camino. Just take every day as it comes and enjoy the whole experience! Buen Camino, let us know how you get on.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back