• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Camino a giant labyrinth?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It may as well have been a labryrinth if one were to just follow the markings or the arrows.

In my previous camino (del Norte) last year, I happened to have a local sim card with data plan on my iPhone. With that I wasn't too worried about missing the markings/arrows as Google Maps will allow me to rejoin the path (which happens a couple of times). That was when I made an interesting discovery. The roads that was waymarked has a purpose, and that is to keep the walkers safe, and as some of you might have suspected, the path is sometimes a hundred meters or less away from the main road (the mesatas might be an exception).

In any case, it may feel like a labyrinth if one is on ground zero. If one can look at the map in real time/location (ie 5000 feet up), then the picture is very different.

This may be one of the case whereby technology actually hampers the camino experience.
As for me I was fine. I did enjoy the freedom of just walking and not having to concentrate on looking for signs and markings. You win some, you loose some.

:)

I think the labyrinth is a miniature camino.
Way back when many big churches had labyrinths laid into the floor, they were known as "the Road to Jerusalem." They were mini-pilgrim paths for people who could not make the real trip.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree Rebekah. Experientially the inner journey seems similar in purpose. The Paris way goes through Chartres. I visited there for the third time before beginning the Camino as it felt' appropriate and that place fascinates me too!
Your book sounds great by the way. xo

robertt said:
I took this pic in the pension in Fromista. I'm not the souvenir type, but this old plan of the Camino in Palencia, very labyrinthine, is a hoot.
http://slowcamino.files.wordpress.com/2 ... no0489.jpg

It's just a modern novelty with an antique look, but it's merry, and I nominate "merry" as the best word in the English language.

This map is gorgeous Robert! How I wish I had purchased one of the old maps from Santiago and carried it home. Still aware of 'I have to carry it" I chose to buy one online when I returned to New Zealand. However that is not as easy as I imagined. I will simply have to return to Santiago and of course I can't wait to do so.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
#evanlow
Thank you for your reply. My husband will be interested in your techno experience :) He was keen to get an app before we left and I was keen on the arrows. Whatever works is right for the person doing their Camino I think. Tim is also interested in Camino del Nort sometime so I will certainly share your reply with him. Cheers!

#cathietherese

Thanks. My blog has some info on that.

That said, one probably does not need the techno stuff especially on the Camino Frances which is the best waymark path. The Norte is different as there are many possible paths around the headlands.

Also, it is always best to walk the first camino without any high tech maps just to experience the labyrinth liked feeling. :D

Most read last week in this forum

Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back