• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's calling

edandjoan

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
Many Others
My husband and I had a wonder walk from Leon to Santiago and then onto Fisterra and Muxia in September 2012. Last September we walked, hitch hiked and bused around Ireland, and this May we walked the Jesus Trail and some of the Israel trail on return to Nazareth and now I just want to walk more.

So we think we could fly into Barcelona mid August and walk from SJPP to Leon and then take the Salvador camino to Oviedo and then the Primitivo to Santiago.

1. We think 40 days would be plenty? Has anyone else taken this journey?
2. Trains..the websites drive me crazy. We would need to get from Barcelona to SJPP so thinking about taking the train to Pamplona and then some one posted that Pension Corazon would pick us up and drive to SJPP for a fee? Anyone try this?
3. Is there really a train from Santiago to Barcelona? Again the websites with train info drive me crazy.
4. We will walk day to day without booking beds ahead and will carry very little technology, no phone. I understand that we may need to book at SJPP and then our first night after, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings,
I can't address the first part of your plan, but we walked the Ruta del Salvador and Camino Primitivo in June 2012. Those were both fantastic caminos: great scenery and walking, not crowded with pilgrims. That was about 25 days including some break days in Oviedo and Lugo, and not covering great distances each day. You can read a day-by-day description by clicking the link here.
Let me know if you have any more questions about those two caminos.
Buen camino.
Dan

Greetings,
I can't address the first part of your plan, but we walked the Ruta del Salvador and Camino Primitivo in June 2012. Those were both fantastic caminos: great scenery and walking, not crowded with pilgrims. That was about 25 days including some break days in Oviedo and Lugo, and not covering great distances each day. You can read a day-by-day description by clicking the link here.
Let me know if you have any more questions about those two caminos.
Buen camino.
Dan
Thanks for sharing your blog…you have beautiful pictures and sounds like you had a great journey. We are about 90% sure we will book flights in the next day or so and will have 40 days to walk, beginning around Aug. 15th, from SJPP to Leon and then Ruta del Salvador and then Primitivo to Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds great. Parts of the routes San Salvador/Primitivo are very isolated - a simple cheap phone would be good for emergency use. You don't have to keep it turned on! You could buy one at home or in Spain. Orange/Movistar works on the Primitivo.
Buen Camino

We're on the San Salvador right now and after a day in Oviedo will hit the Primitivo. So far, so good. You can take a look at our blog if you like: charitywalking.wordpress.com
Happy to answer any questions.

@Kiwi-family Good to hear you have got so far. We are enjoying your blog. Terry was saying today that, with some careful planning, maybe in 2016..........We might be asking some advice............
Buen Camino to you all and may the sun shine for you over Puerto de Palo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the replies…I just booked tickets and we should be starting from SJPP on August 17 and walk to Leon and then perhaps bus to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. I need to make a few arrangements to get to SJPP from Barcelona, but from there we will be talking each day as it comes until we need to catch a plane home on September 27th from Barcelona.
Buen Camino.

To get back to Barcelona from SdC it may be better (and cheaper) to fly. There are lots of options so your chances of getting a cheap deal are good. Ryanair and Vueling both do that route for around 40 Euros one way if you are able to book about a month before and are reasonably flexible. There are also options from A Coruna and Vigo (I think). Beware of luggage charges if you have to check in baggage. You might save some money by buying a laundry-style bag from a Chinese shop and putting both of your packs into that with any excess weight taken as hand luggage.

To get back to Barcelona from SdC it may be better (and cheaper) to fly. There are lots of options so your chances of getting a cheap deal are good. Ryanair and Vueling both do that route for around 40 Euros one way if you are able to book about a month before and are reasonably flexible. There are also options from A Coruna and Vigo (I think). Beware of luggage charges if you have to check in baggage. You might save some money by buying a laundry-style bag from a Chinese shop and putting both of your packs into that with any excess weight taken as hand luggage.
Thanks for the information, I look into it. I also looked at taking the train from SDC to Madrid and then another train to Barcelona, but flying may be less expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the idea. I have been reading about the fees if your carry on does not meet specific measurements and weights. It is 35EU one way for that error. I will keep searching for rates... 40 EU is cheap. Tonight the cheapest I saw was 89EU Santiago to Barcelona.

Thanks for the idea. I have been reading about the fees if your carry on does not meet specific measurements and weights. It is 35EU one way for that error. I will keep searching for rates... 40 EU is cheap. Tonight the cheapest I saw was 89EU Santiago to Barcelona.
With the low cost airlines the best fares mean booking in well in advance. At the moment for this route that seems to mean about 3 weeks or so. However even booking a week or so before is reasonable (one week from today costs from 60 Euros with Vueling, for example, or 64 Euros with Ryanair). Don't rely on comparison sites like Expedia, which don't include airlines like Ryanair. (You have to check them directly at Ryanair.com.) Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.