• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Its NOT a 'real' Camino experience if . . .

I've been reading some threads here and it seems like some folks suggest that:

Its not a real Camino if you stay in small hotels instead of the group sleeping of the albergues...
Its not a real Camino if you ride a bike...
Its not a real Camino if you walk with a tour group...
Its not a real Camino if you book your nightly accomidations ahead of time along the route...
Etc...

Now I'll point out quickly that many suggest that these folks need to get off their high horses and stop judging others.

So for those who feel that the pilgram's way is one of wandering hardship to be endured as the early pilgrams did without the benefit of knowing where they will sleep tonight, etc. Then I have to ask, do you folks use modern backpacks with the ventilated back panels and internal frame suspension systems? Do you recommend modern boots with Gore-Tex waterproof/breathable design?

I would gladly walk the Camino and sleep in an albergues, but my wife will not walk with me if we don't stay in a private room, and she would prefer a small hotel. She would prefer a tour group, but is willing to walk without one. Etc.

So why are a few here so judgemental of others because they choose a different way?
When your journey is over the only one who will know the impact it has had on your life will be you. I think, if the decisions we make in our life are made with the right spirit then it can't be wrong for us. Are they the perfect decisions, no. I don't know that I have ever made a perfect decision, but I am trying to go in the right direction. I hope that the Camino follows the way I am trying to live life, one day at a time. Buen Camino Stephen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been reading some threads here and it seems like some folks suggest that:

Its not a real Camino if you stay in small hotels instead of the group sleeping of the albergues...
Its not a real Camino if you ride a bike...
Its not a real Camino if you walk with a tour group...
Its not a real Camino if you book your nightly accomidations ahead of time along the route...
Etc...

Now I'll point out quickly that many suggest that these folks need to get off their high horses and stop judging others.

So for those who feel that the pilgram's way is one of wandering hardship to be endured as the early pilgrams did without the benefit of knowing where they will sleep tonight, etc. Then I have to ask, do you folks use modern backpacks with the ventilated back panels and internal frame suspension systems? Do you recommend modern boots with Gore-Tex waterproof/breathable design?

I would gladly walk the Camino and sleep in an albergues, but my wife will not walk with me if we don't stay in a private room, and she would prefer a small hotel. She would prefer a tour group, but is willing to walk without one. Etc.

So why are a few here so judgemental of others because they choose a different way?

Maybe I'm reading different threads than you, but most of what I hear is people saying however you want to do your camino is up to you, and there are ubiquitous admonitions to not be judgmental of how others do it. However, if somebody somewhere should express the opinion that it is unacceptable to do the camino by driving a red convertible, we all have the option of ignoring that opinion (and ignoring the red convertible for that matter). Personally I try to spend as little time as possible worrying about the judgments of others or imagining the judgments of others. You are the person that needs to be happy with how you do it. I do think that walking the camino with another person presents its own set of challenges, because both will have different ideas how it should be done. Working out those differences is another gift of the camino. Shorter or longer, alone or with a group, planned out or spontaneous, first class hotels or in a tent, on foot or by bike, wearing hiking boots or running shoes-- no matter how somebody does it, it's a challenge, and you will not be the same person at the end that you were in the beginning. To me, those changes are what is important, not the particulars of how you did it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you a Cursillista, Bogong?
De Colores, Suzanne :)
G'day Suzanne,

Yes. I think the Cursillo movement started in Santiago de Compostela, so it was poignant for me. I've a feeling that the Taize contemplative worship approach started in one of the Monasteries along the Camino Frances route. I would have to check again to be absolutely sure in both cases.

But it's interesting if one takes the Camino as a pilgrimage that its Christian underpinning doesn't just rest on 1200 years of tradition, but also looks to forward.

De Colores,

Bogong

.... I've a feeling that the Taize contemplative worship approach started in one of the Monasteries along the Camino Frances route. I would have to check again to be absolutely sure ...

For an English account of the Taizé Community, an ecumenical monastic order begun c 1944 in Taizé, Saône-et-Loire, Burgundy, France see their web here.

I love and admire the different ways people achieve their caminos.
In 2013 apart from those riding bikes and horses I saw quite a lot of people pulling carts.
I thank god for pilgrims who use hostels/hotels freeing up beds in albergues
In 2014 there was a guy on a skate board and Jessie on mono bike.
Said "Buen Camino" to them all, especially the bikes I walked to the top of many a hill with a bike pelegrino pushing their bicycle along side me.
I felt sorry for the riders their caminos are over so fast but they love it .
Also in 2013 there were 3 amigos running the camino. "Buen Camino" I say
Saw a lady with both ankles completely strapped shuffle into Sarria and was applauded by the alfresco diners. She broke down in tears.
"Buen Camino" everyone, it's your camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For an English account of the Taizé Community, an ecumenical monastic order begun c 1944 in Taizé, Saône-et-Loire, Burgundy, France see their web here.
Thanks so much for the link, Margaret.

I'll pass it on to Linda, our delightful Rector, who runs such services once a month on a Saturday evening (I haven't been to one yet). Still trying to con her and her husband Anthony to walk the Camino _ I think the interest and intrigue is growing!

De Colores

Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wrote in another thread that biking the Camino felt like cheating to me. I will reiterate the "to me"part...that is just how I personally feel. So firstly I apologize if that post upset bike users etc. It was not intended that way. And secondly (is that correct usage?) I think its not a real Camino if you did anything different than you felt you should just cause someone said it wouldn't be a real Camino if you did it the way you thought YOU should and instead opted for their way. The Camino is supposed to be individual and to try to do it like another really isn't the point. The point is to do it as you are led to do it. It is wonderful to get the advice and the guidance of veterans of this journey but at the end of the day, other than perhaps helping one chose the right sleeping bag or not wearing cotton or taking denim because it was not a good idea, the advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Each person that walks it uses their own feet and they have to walk it the way they see fit. Or for that matter...ride it... Ether way it doesn't matter personally to me as long as you are doing what you feel is right and not making another feel bad or wrong for not doing it your way. Each to his/her own. I hope YOUR Camino is the perfect Camino for you and that you will be satisfied with the end result.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.