• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July 2014 Pilgrim

Sacred Heart

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking part of the Camino from 2nd September to 18th, Leon to Santiago.
Hi, My name is Angie and I am hoping to walk half of the Camino in July 2014. Could anyone help me get started. I can't unfortunately afford to do the whole Camino in one go. So I wanted to ask the question can I do half in 2 and a half weeks. I live in North Yorkshire so I was wondering which airport I can fly from and where do I fly to? Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I didn't receive a message. Not totally sure how to use this forum yet. I just need to get started really. Which is the place destination to fly to for my starting point. I won't be able to walk the full Camino in one go. Do you have any idea how far I would get in 2.5 weeks, walking at 20 miles per day?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
First half or second half? How far do you think you can walk each day?

Sorry I saw your reply. It is the first half. I have loads of stamina so I can walk quite a distance in a day. If there are loads of hills my asthma effects me.

Sorry I saw your reply. It is the first half. I have loads of stamina so I can walk quite a distance in a day. If there are loads of hills my asthma effects me.
I did SJPdP to Santiago in 23 days. An average of about 34,5 km a day. If you have asthma you might consider to skip the pyrenees and start in Roncevalles instead. I was in SahagĂşn (my half way) at day 12. It is a quite fast pace but I have stamina and like to walk both fast and long days. It suited me. Some others will tell you that you miss soooo much traveling "fast" so think what you want to do. There is no starting point where you have to start from. If you need to go slower why not find a place where it will work to start from. Or start and then walk as far as you go and next time pick it up there or skip a part if there is a need to fit in the rest in a short time. There is no right and wrong. Do you think you will need resting days, do you have enough space to stop if you get tired, sick, severe blisters? I would say that 2,5 weeks covers that as well but that is in my speed and daily walking hours.

My asthma never really bothers me, except when I am going up long ascents and I never use my inhaler. I walk regularly with a group and I have alot of stamina. I didn't realise there is no real starting point. Beatrice how could I find out the most popular routes? I thought I would start at St Jean. I have ordered John Brierleys pilgrims guide which hopefully we give me some tips.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hi sacred heart,

i don't know whether you are closer to manchester airport or not, but there are flights by easyjet to bilbao. also there are flights in the summer month going to biarritz, i don't know whether this is ryanair or easyjet. maybe other peregrinos can helped.

generally if you are doing the camino frances from sjpp to sdc, a distance of 800 km, will take from 30-35 days. if you start at sjpp, you should get to the half way mark before leon in 20 days or less. please remember there is no such thing as a starting point, your starting point is where you want it to be.

the camino de santiago forum is a gold mine of formation. search the forum for all kinds of information that could help you. anything else just post your questions here at the forum. there will be many, many experienced and veteran peregrinos here to help you.no question is stupid, so don't be shy.

good luck on your planning and buen camino.

The climb from St. Jean Pied de Port is about six hours of steady, sometimes steep, ascent. You can get to SJPdP by flying into Pamplona and taking a bus. Or you can fly into Biarritz and take the train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Starting in Pamplona makes air travel easy, and you save two to three days of walking. The Brierley guide shows you all this.

You can plan your daily itinerary here: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

The planner starts in Roncesvalles, the "official" start of the Camino Frances according to the Spanish, so add a day if you start in SJPdP.

Buen camino.

My asthma never really bothers me, except when I am going up long ascents and I never use my inhaler. I walk regularly with a group and I have alot of stamina. I didn't realise there is no real starting point. Beatrice how could I find out the most popular routes? I thought I would start at St Jean. I have ordered John Brierleys pilgrims guide which hopefully we give me some tips.
Camino to Santiago de Compostela is a number of different ways. The most common in Camino Francés and a lot of people start in SJPdP but others starts at there home, Lourdes, Le Puy, Cahors before SJpDP and others starts all between SJPdP and Sarria. If you want to receive a Compostela in the end you have to walk at least 100 km (that is on CF approximately from Sarria).

Walking from SJPdP to Roncevalles th Napoleon way is 20 km up up and up. Lovely views. I guess you bough JB's book over CF and it will help you understand the way and feel free to divide your stages as they suit you. Also look at the profile maps at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/cami...-maps-of-all-34-stages-of-the-camino-frances/ and the guide to albergues at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-de-santiago-guides/albergues-on-the-camino-frances/

There are a lot of guides at this place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One scenario:
From Pamplona to LeĂłn
The table shows stages, partial and cumulative distances, and lodgings.
Summary
Longest stage: Torres del RĂ­o - Navarrete: 32.7 km. Shortest stage: Mansilla de las Mulas - LeĂłn: 18.2 km.
Total distance: 395.1 km. Stages: 17. Average: 23.2 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Pamplona - Puente la Reina 23.5 23.5 R, 2P, C, H
2) Puente la Reina - Ayegui 23.8 47.3 R
3) Ayegui - Torres del RĂ­o 27.2 74.5 3P
4) Torres del RĂ­o - Navarrete 32.7 107.2 R, 2P, C, H
5) Navarrete - Azofra 22.1 129.3 R
6) Azofra - Redecilla del Camino 26.8 156.1 R
7) Redecilla del Camino - Villafranca de Montes de Oca 23.4 179.5 R, P, H
8) Villafranca de Montes de Oca - Atapuerca 18.3 197.8 2P, H
9) Atapuerca - Burgos 19.5 217.3 3R, C, H
10) Burgos - Hornillos del Camino 20.3 237.6 R
11) Hornillos del Camino - Castrojeriz 20 257.6 2R, 2P, C, H
12) Castrojeriz - Boadilla del Camino 19.1 276.7 R, 2P
13) Boadilla del Camino - CarriĂłn de los Condes 24.6 301.3 3R, C, H
14) CarriĂłn de los Condes - Terradillos de los Templarios 26 327.3 2P
15) Terradillos de los Templarios - Bercianos del Real Camino 23.2 350.5 R, P, H
16) Bercianos del Real Camino - Mansilla de las Mulas 26.4 376.9 R, P, C, H
17) Mansilla de las Mulas - LeĂłn 18.2 395.1 2R, A, C, H
Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...

Good luck from Wetherby. Don't do what you can't. Some days you need to do less than others. Make sure you have a place to sleep arranged. Meet loads of people

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.