• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June-July Weather on Camino and packing

nettersweet

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July (2013)
Hello, I will be starting in Leon and walking to Santiago de Compostella, and possibly Finnisterre, for 2.5 - 3 weeks. What can I expect in terms of weather? Will I need a fleece for chilly nights or mornings? Will there be chilly nights? Will I need a base layer (long underwear) - I'm thinking about that for evenings/nights and using them for pajamas? How about a summer lightweight sleeping bag - is that necessary? I know some say a liner is enough, while others swear by a sleeping bag. I'm wondering what would make the most sense for June/July. Finally, I'm planning on bringing one pair of zip off pants (that turn into shorts), and another pair of shorts. Will this be sufficient? I'm aiming for very super light and the bare essentials. Thanks for any packing or gear advice you can share!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
June / July from Leon to Santiago might have some chilly nights, especially in the mountains, so one warmer piece of clothings like a fleece jacket is advisable. If you need long underwear for sleeping in depends on the sleeping bag you take. I personally find that the super-thin liners are not enough for me, so I prefer a light summer sleeping bag and I sleep in the clothes I plan to wear the next day. One thing that is pretty sure even in that time of the year is rain in Galicia ;-) So I would always take a rain poncho. Buen Camino! SY

june/july can be quite warm in the day time, but expect chilly nights. weather is quite unpredictable this year. do bring a lightweight fleece. layer your clothing. the further you go west into galicia you will expect rain, wind and maybe storm, so make sure you have rain gears.

i think a summer sleeping bag is enough. i did not have any liner of any kind. one pair of zip off and a pair of short is sufficient for your camino. you are wise to keep your backpack weight down.

buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, a light fleece and sleeping bag should serve you well, although it really depends on how much you feel the cold, how important travelling light is to you, what you already have, and how much risk you're prepared to take etc. June/July are 2 of the months you're most likely to get away with less, as long as you can find proper accommodation each night.

Your trouser ideas sound sensible to me.

Rain is likely at some point, but it's sometimes just a fine misty rain as you walk through the clouds in Galicia, or it falls at night when you're not walking. There have been times when I haven't even bothered using my rain jacket as it was a trade off between being too hot and being dry. I was already a bit sweaty anyway so enjoyed the refreshment of it!

In short, I'd not buy new expensive gear you may never need but buy in Spain if you find you're genuinely under-equiped. Also be equally concerned about the heat! :D

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Everyone has provided such helpful information! Thank you so much!!! So I think I'm on the right track. My only remaining question is whether to bring the extremely lightweight long underwear for night sleeping. I guess I could sleep in my clothes - that would eliminate the need to carry the long underwear, although there is something appealing about having fresh, clean separate items for sleeping. Do most folks typically sleep in their clothes for the next day? Also, it sounds like rain is a given (I wasn't sure about that - thanks for that warning). I have a rain cover for my pack. The question is whether to take a raincoat or rain poncho? I'm already resigned to the heat - I have a hat, a hydration system, sunscreen and 2 extremely lightweight moisture-wicking t-shirts. Thanks again for sharing your insights and wisdom!

I hate sleeping in my clothes and have a very lightweight thin old nightshirt. Rain is inevitable in Galicia but I agree in summer rainwear can be very sticky and hot - I take a lightweight trekking umbrella. It is also great for shade on the meseta. My poncho gets used if there is a cold snap or strong winds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back