• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

just saying hi and looking for some advice..

newbie;frenchway

Time of past OR future Camino
first timer
hi guys. , Im in my 30's and im averagly fit but in a gym way and not in a walking or hiking way by any means... BUT ive decided I need a bit of a challenge/time out/something different and for years ive wanted to do some of the French way but always found a reason not to.
im going in October. im thinking the 3rd week. SJPDP to Logrono and maybe a day or 2 onto that if I love it ill plan to go back and do it all.
im nervous as hell of gettting super bad blisters or some injury that ruins it all!!
Im not staying in Alberge - sorry but not my bag Im super happy to stay in a little hotel and get a good night sleep (I dont feel any need to torture myself any further lol) I may also get my bag transported and again totally fine with that!

**my concern is day 1 ... I keep going back and over the decision about going to Roncessvalles directly or stopping at the Orrison refuge and Im litererally changing my mind daily.....
** another thing on my mind is how the weather will be on that part of the french way if I leave it until week 3 of Oct ... since Im a newbie I really dont think walking in the bad ain is a good idea....
** my last one for now is getting the right trail shoes im not going with boots... i know its diff for everyone but is there any sort of 'go to' shoe that most ppl reccommed maybe??

excited to hear from you all....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
I guess it would determine when you arrive at St. Jean. I decided to stop at Orrison the first day. I am flying out of JFK on Tuesday night 8/21. I will be arriving at St. Jean late in the day on 8/22. I figured that with some sort of jet lag and having to register in the am, it would be better to take it easy the first day and set out early on 8/23. I am 64 years old and I plan on going as far as my legs can carry me. I have been preparing for this for a couple of years, but I know there will be a tremendous toll on my body.
My hiking books are "Vasque" 2.0 GTX's. These are perfect for me.
Chaz

Hi,
I guess it would determine when you arrive at St. Jean. I decided to stop at Orrison the first day. I am flying out of JFK on Tuesday night 8/21. I will be arriving at St. Jean late in the day on 8/22. I figured that with some sort of jet lag and having to register in the am, it would be better to take it easy the first day and set out early on 8/23. I am 64 years old and I plan on going as far as my legs can carry me. I have been preparing for this for a couple of years, but I know there will be a tremendous toll on my body.
My hiking books are "Vasque" 2.0 GTX's. These are perfect for me.
Chaz
thanks Chaz. I have zero prep done...yikes...... scared now but still want to do it!! I believe if I go slow and really pace myself I can do it!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go.

If you can book Orisson. Many folks cheer it. If not, remember most people walk to Roncesvalles in one go.

If you sleep cold take a bag. Nights are chilly in November go prepared.

Summer/fall caminos I walked in Nike running shoes. I am not a boot fan. However, winter camino I had to use boots due to mud and more mud. Make certain your trail shoes have plenty of traction.

Buen camino.

We stayed in Htl Ramuntcho, St Jean, started walking at 7 am next morning all the way to Roncesvalles (stayed in Htl Roncesvalles) weather mixture of sunshine/rain/hailstones......got our bags transported......we were both aged 63 & 66 at the time. no bother at all. We used Jacotrans all the way & stayed in Hostels following the Brierley stages/book!

We stayed in Htl Ramuntcho, St Jean, started walking at 7 am next morning all the way to Roncesvalles (stayed in Htl Roncesvalles) weather mixture of sunshine/rain/hailstones......got our bags transported......we were both aged 63 & 66 at the time. no bother at all. We used Jacotrans all the way & stayed in Hostels following the Brierley stages/book!
Thank you so much .ok I think I'll just go for it... Pace myself take it all in and just enjoy as much as I can !!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back