• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just started El Camino Vasco del Interior.

steve cole

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the french way today
Started off in Pilgrims hostel in Irun 7/4/24 hostel was about 70% full , but everybody was walking the Norte. Consequently I am truly solo on this Camino. Just arrived in Andoain stay at the Donation albergue ( pick up keys from municipal police station). In the pilgrim log book 3 pilgrims have stayed here so far in April.
El Camino Vasco del Interior route is so beautiful and nobody is walking it! Also it's so much cheaper than the Norte. When I join with Camino Francis at Santo Domingo de la Calzada in 7 days I would have stayed in 5 donation albergues and two municipal paid albergues both less than 10 euro. All info is on Gronze.

Updated everything on Instagram Steve1963cole

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's a lovely little route but definitely not well travelled! It's even possible to walk from Biarritz Airport or Biarritz train Station

El Camino Vasco del Interior route is so beautiful and nobody is walking it!
Hi Steve,
I’ll be watching your progress. Both times I planned to walk this route ., I talked myself out of it. Most recent plan for late March and first week of April., but because of the ‘rain in Spain ‘ 🤣. I gave up and became a tourist across to Valencia and now Cuenca. Heading home in 3 days. .
Very envious of the terrain you’ll see.

Buen camino to you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking forward to your posts - will check out your insta page

Also it's so much cheaper than the Norte
It may not have been your intention but please don't perpetuate the "Donativo = free/cheap" thing. We are losing Donativos along the Camino routes because people seem to think that a few €'s is all that's required. It ain't. Donate at least what you would have paid for a commercial Albergue and more if you have the budget. The Vasco is accessible and affordable for many because of the dedication and sheer hard work of the amigos and volunteers who put effort into everything from way-marking to laundering the sheets. The reason the Vasco is 'cheaper' than the Norte is that on the Vasco there are people trying to keep the spirit of camino alive. On the Norte, with some wonderful exceptions, people are trying to make a living

This is the route I’m planning for August. I’ll be following your Insta for tips! I’m also a coffee enthusiast, so interested how that works out!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Started off in Pilgrims hostel in Irun 7/4/24 hostel was about 70% full , but everybody was walking the Norte. Consequently I am truly solo on this Camino. Just arrived in Andoain stay at the Donation albergue ( pick up keys from municipal police station). In the pilgrim log book 3 pilgrims have stayed here so far in April.
El Camino Vasco del Interior route is so beautiful and nobody is walking it! Also it's so much cheaper than the Norte. When I join with Camino Francis at Santo Domingo de la Calzada in 7 days I would have stayed in 5 donation albergues and two municipal paid albergues both less than 10 euro. All info is on Gronze.

I walked it last year and yes it was really beautiful and tranquil. If you are still in Andoain you can leave the keys by the second door of the police station if it is locked. The first door was open. I saw two policeman in a car a block away and that was the instructions they gave me. They were all super nice. If you have time you could walk it to Burgos instead of Santo Domingo. That is what I did as I really loved the peace and quiet.
I stayed in Tolosa because there was no place else to stay from Andoain to Beasain.
I slept here as it got good reviews on Gronze and also it was the cheapest . It is just off camino by about 50 meters. The donativo in Beasain is wonderful.

This is the route I’m planning for August. I’ll be following your Insta for tips! I’m also a coffee enthusiast, so interested how that works out!
Did you see my thread earlier in this message stream about the first few nights? I started the Vasco late in October last year and the albergue in Irun was also about 70 full. But it is a big albergue. I would recommend trying to arrive as early as you can. I don't remember if it opens at 3 or 4PM. There is a nice park really close by to hang out in and check to see if a line is forming.
Gronze.com and the Buen Camino app are probably your best resources. There are not alot of options on places to stay but more than enough. The donativos and the albergues are really excellent. The one in Andoain is really basic as is the one in La Puebla de Arganzon. They are about as basic as they come. But remember, Pilgrims are grateful. Do a little planning to check if there are kitchen facilities, how far it is between towns and what services they may have. Check if there are any special instructions about entering albergues like the two I mentioned above. In Andoain you need to go to the police station to get the key. In La Puebla you need to register, I did it the day before I think, to get the code to enter the albergue. But if peace and solitude is what you seek you have come to the right camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It may not have been your intention but please don't perpetuate the "Donativo = free/cheap" thing.
I just saw this from @Tincatinker and it is something I forgot to mention. Give generously to the donativos. For example I tried to give the policeman who checked me in 15 Euros to stay in the donativo in Andoain. He said it was not necessary. I had to insist he take it. He was really trying to be nice but every euro counts in donativos.

I just saw this from @Tincatinker and it is something I forgot to mention. Give generously to the donativos. For example I tried to give the policeman who checked me in 15 Euros to stay in the donativo in Andoain. He said it was not necessary. I had to insist he take it. He was really trying to be nice but every euro counts in donativos.
Quite right :)

I must admit I’m not keen on the idea of pushing a Camino because it’s cheap.

(I know that the OP is also expressing joy at how beautiful a route it is)

Hi Steve,
I’ll be watching your progress. Both times I planned to walk this route ., I talked myself out of it. Most recent plan for late March and first week of April., but because of the ‘rain in Spain ‘ 🤣. I gave up and became a tourist across to Valencia and now Cuenca. Heading home in 3 days. .
Very envious of the terrain you’ll see.

Buen camino to you.
It will be waiting for you I am sure. Everything happens for a reason 🙏👍

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about your journey. I walked it in December and did not see a single pilgrim, but still had a great time. Your weather looks good for this week.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back