• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just thinking

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino for June 2016. 2nd planning for June 2017.
As I was walking this morning I had the thought of how many other pilgrims are walking to prepare or already on the camino. It donned on me that with all the pilgrims out there, there had to be some kind of energy that flows all over the world to energize pilgrims. I've gotten to the point where people just look at me like I'm crazy and wounder what the heck I'm going to go to Spain and walk 500 miles for. Only those here on the forum understand the call or pull that one feels when you've been overtaken by the camino bug.
I live in South Texas and the roads are flat and dusty but I get my walking in around town. It's a small community and everyone knows everyone so the talk is about that crazy Rupert walking all over town. But I just continue to walk and wave. I'm glad I have this forum community to keep me sane and informed on all things camino. I want to thank all the helpful pilgrims that contribute to these posts with valuable bits of information. 100 days until I depart for Spain.
Buen Camino fellow pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haha! I live in Austin, Rupert. Most people walk around town here looking like peregrinos after a long day of walking anyway - so I don't stand out. But I feel you! My 2 previous Caminos were in April and in March I just can't stop thinking about it! Enjoy these days of anticipation - they're half the fun :)

Thanks, Chacharm. I'm enjoying the preparation and eagerly anticipating the journey. I live in San Diego Texas so I know exactly where you are. Spent many an evening on 6th Street back in the 80's.
I'm guessing the heat shouldn't be a problem since we regularly reach the century mark down here.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you will be surprised. My son and I thought we were going to waltz through the Meseta since it is hot and flat. But after weeks of walking in chilly, often wet, conditions we really weren't prepared. That was when the blisters came with the swollen, sweaty feet. I think you WILL be glad of all the pavement/street walking you've been doing when you hit the outskirts of certain cities though. Lord that nearly killed me walking into Pamplona!
And we probably met back on 6th street in the 80s ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Been hitting many of the farm roads around and then the pavement around town. Also been hitting the bleachers at the high school to prepare for the climbs. That's the only elevation I have access to around here. I'll let you know how it goes when I got those areas this summer.
Thanks again, Buen Camino.

I do short-ish walks every day around the research campus I work at. Friday afternoons I do my 18-20km walks, at least one day over the weekend I climb our local bald mountain close to my home. Dusty dirt trails for the most part, some sections with those big potato sized rocks like the descent off Alto de Perdon!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, Chacharm. I'm enjoying the preparation and eagerly anticipating the journey. I live in San Diego Texas so I know exactly where you are. Spent many an evening on 6th Street back in the 80's.
I'm guessing the heat shouldn't be a problem since we regularly reach the century mark down here.
Greetings fellow Texans! I live in Dallas and am returning to the Camino in September 2016. Buen Camino to you both

Greetings fellow Texans! I live in Dallas and am returning to the Camino in September 2016. Buen Camino to you both
Hey DanielH, great to hear from you. Enjoy the build up until September. I'm 99 days away, so I broke the century point of departure.
Buen Camino fellow Texas pilgrim.

I do short-ish walks every day around the research campus I work at. Friday afternoons I do my 18-20km walks, at least one day over the weekend I climb our local bald mountain close to my home. Dusty dirt trails for the most part, some sections with those big potato sized rocks like the descent off Alto de Perdon!
Yesterday I did twelve miles after doing 14 on Sat. Just hope the lack of hills in South Texas doesn't doom my hike on the camino. My distance walking is set. I'm averaging 60 miles a week for the last five weeks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I lived in Victoria, Texas for many years. Believe me, the weather in northern Spain even on the hottest day does not rival south Texas heat and humidity. On all my Caminos I never ran across any weather that was really bad. Cool, sometimes a bit chilly, dry mornings and evenings and some really glorious sunshine days. I think the hottest day I ever walked it was like 90F, but dry. The meseta section reminds me of the panhandle, but is no warmer than the rest of the CF.
Wear a good hat, and stay hydrated.
You will love it.
cheers

Having spent the first 46 years of my life in Texas (43 of those in San Antonio) and now living in Colorado, I can tell you that the climate on the Camino is more like Texas than Colorado. We felt the humidity more than the late August/September heat.

Another Texan here (Lockhart). Starting April 25th. Hitting the state parks in the area.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I lived in Victoria, Texas for many years. Believe me, the weather in northern Spain even on the hottest day does not rival south Texas heat and humidity. On all my Caminos I never ran across any weather that was really bad. Cool, sometimes a bit chilly, dry mornings and evenings and some really glorious sunshine days. I think the hottest day I ever walked it was like 90F, but dry. The meseta section reminds me of the panhandle, but is no warmer than the rest of the CF.
Wear a good hat, and stay hydrated.
You will love it.
cheers
Sounds great, Mark Lee. I figured the heat around here was hot enough for anything I would n encounter over there. This past August I did a 10 mile hike starting at 2 in the afternoon. The temp was 102. Stayed well hydrated but I still took a beating for 3 hours walking on the side is the highway. I'm more worried about the cool weather. I'm not too accustomed to cold weather. Thanks for the response. Is great to hear from fellow Texas pilgrims. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm in Laredo now.Heading to the Camino in July.
Hey James, sounds fantastic. Your just 86 miles away from me. Good to know there are fellow pilgrims in the area. We need to organize a hike before the summer. I leave June 15.

Hey James, sounds fantastic. Your just 86 miles away from me. Good to know there are fellow pilgrims in the area. We need to organize a hike before the summer. I leave June 15.
That sounds great!The only problem I have is trying to get away right now.I'm a trucker so I'm out of town a lot.

No problem. Just a thought. There are 98 days until my departure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds great, Mark Lee. I figured the heat around here was hot enough for anything I would n encounter over there. This past August I did a 10 mile hike starting at 2 in the afternoon. The temp was 102. Stayed well hydrated but I still took a beating for 3 hours walking on the side is the highway. I'm more worried about the cool weather. I'm not too accustomed to cold weather. Thanks for the response. Is great to hear from fellow Texas pilgrims. Buen Camino.
No way on the Camino will you encounter anything like a south Texas brush country 102 degrees Fahrenheit day. If it got like that in northern Spain in the area of the Camino Frances, there would be pilgrim death markers everywhere. Peregrinos be dropping like flies and the local paramedics would be busy responding to heat casualties all summer.
I've done three Caminos from the months of June through September. Never encountered any real cold weather either. You have nothing to worry about. I would guess the coldest weather I ran across on my Caminos was a few days where it cooled down to the 40's at night and early in the morning but it warms up quickly when that sun gets high in the sky. I've only carried a fleece pullover with me on a couple of my Caminos and it worked great for when it cooled down a bit. My first Camino I didn't even carry a fleece or a rain jacket. Had zero rain days. Thirty plus days of beautiful blue skies from SJPdP to Santiago. It was gorgeous.
Check out this website: www.wundeground.com
You can look up past years temps all across northern Spain. Give you an idea what to expect.
cheers

Hey DanielH, great to hear from you. Enjoy the build up until September. I'm 99 days away, so I broke the century point of departure.
Buen Camino fellow Texas pilgrim.
Sounds like you are ready if you are walking that many miles a day. The toughest day will the day 1 crossing the Pyrenees. Just take your time and rest when you can. I was born in Mathis, just a few miles from your hometown. My great-grandfather was born in Concepcion which is even closer to you. Buen Camino to you!!!
daniel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds like you are ready if you are walking that many miles a day. The toughest day will the day 1 crossing the Pyrenees. Just take your time and rest when you can. I was born in Mathis, just a few miles from your hometown. My great-grandfather was born in Concepcion which is even closer to you. Buen Camino to you!!!
daniel
Wow. My folks are from Benavides right by Concepcion. My ex mother in law is from Mathis. My girls basketball team lost to Mathis girls last year in the state playoffs. Small world.
Thanks for the reply DanielH.

No way on the Camino will you encounter anything like a south Texas brush country 102 degrees Fahrenheit day. If it got like that in northern Spain in the area of the Camino Frances, there would be pilgrim death markers everywhere. Peregrinos be dropping like flies and the local paramedics would be busy responding to heat casualties all summer.
I've done three Caminos from the months of June through September. Never encountered any real cold weather either. You have nothing to worry about. I would guess the coldest weather I ran across on my Caminos was a few days where it cooled down to the 40's at night and early in the morning but it warms up quickly when that sun gets high in the sky. I've only carried a fleece pullover with me on a couple of my Caminos and it worked great for when it cooled down a bit. My first Camino I didn't even carry a fleece or a rain jacket. Had zero rain days. Thirty plus days of beautiful blue skies from SJPdP to Santiago. It was gorgeous.
Check out this website: www.wundeground.com
You can look up past years temps all across northern Spain. Give you an idea what to expect.
cheers
Thanks MarkLee. That's what I'm considering taking a light fleece jacket. I also have a compression cold gear shirt.

As I was walking this morning I had the thought of how many other pilgrims are walking to prepare or already on the camino. It donned on me that with all the pilgrims out there, there had to be some kind of energy that flows all over the world to energize pilgrims. I've gotten to the point where people just look at me like I'm crazy and wounder what the heck I'm going to go to Spain and walk 500 miles for. Only those here on the forum understand the call or pull that one feels when you've been overtaken by the camino bug.
I live in South Texas and the roads are flat and dusty but I get my walking in around town. It's a small community and everyone knows everyone so the talk is about that crazy Rupert walking all over town. But I just continue to walk and wave. I'm glad I have this forum community to keep me sane and informed on all things camino. I want to thank all the helpful pilgrims that contribute to these posts with valuable bits of information. 100 days until I depart for Spain.
Hey Rupert! I'm training the same in Houston. I'm amazed at how many really nice people stop and inquire about my training. Some want to share their experiences back packing. But always, always, are encouraging. I'll bet you have given your town folk something good to consider.

That's awesome Patricia. My students are constantly telling me that I was seen. Many people go out of their way to wave when passing.
I tested my rain gear out this week, as you know how much rain we've received. When are you planning your Camino? I'm leaving June 15 out of Houston.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So many of us Texans....I might have to open a bbq stand on the Camino. Then I could support my Camino habit.

So many of us Texans....I might have to open a bbq stand on the Camino. Then I could support my Camino habit.
where in Texas dduroy? A barbeque stand would be quite a hit, but so would breakfast tacos. buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Conroe, North of Houston. My brother n law moved to California. Every year we ship him kolaches for Christmas.

Hey crazy Rupert, I live near Reno NV. Get strange looks all the time, especially if I'm wearing my pack or using my poles. Sometimes they ask what I'm doing and seem impressed when I tell them. My wife just thinks I'm crazy.;)
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yesterday I did twelve miles after doing 14 on Sat. Just hope the lack of hills in South Texas doesn't doom my hike on the camino. My distance walking is set. I'm averaging 60 miles a week for the last five weeks.

Hi Rupert,

I was living in South Florida when I trained for my first Camino - not a hill to be found anywhere. So I found a large, multilevel parking garage and on Sundays when there was little traffic I would walk up and down the concrete "hills". I do think it makes a difference, you apply different leg muscles on inclines/descents than on the flats and so it's good to get them ready!

Your absolutely correct alipilgrim. I'm using the bleachers at the high school for my incline training. It will help with getting my legs ready for the first day climb. That's the only thing I have around here to simulate the climbs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey crazy Rupert, I live near Reno NV. Get strange looks all the time, especially if I'm wearing my pack or using my poles. Sometimes they ask what I'm doing and seem impressed when I tell them. My wife just thinks I'm crazy.;)
Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Thanks Urban Trekker. Good to know I'm not the only crazy one out there.

That is so true. The walking time allows me to clear my head and process the things I'm dealing with at the moment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back