• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flies. Just sayin…

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Just a heads up for those about to walk their first Camino. There are lots and lots of flies. Definitely not in all places, but in many. And not noticeable while walking, just when you stop somewhere. Not a big deal of course, more of a minor nuisance. Perhaps I’m just spoiled, living in a non-fly city, but I was surprised at the number of flies in some places, including where I’m currently sitting writing this. If I lived in Spain I’d choose to live in one of the cities/towns without flies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Except for a few sections on the Meseta, I was never much bothered by flies – but of course, there were some and other kinds of insects as well. That’s how it feels for us ‘city-folks’ when we get out into what is known as ‘nature' :)

Except for a few sections on the Meseta, I was never much bothered by flies – but of course, there were some and other kinds of insects as well. That’s how it feels for us ‘city-folks’ when we get out into what is known as ‘nature' :)
Not sure if it’s different at different times of the year or not, but I’ve been encountering swarms of flies at many/most of the places I’ve stopped at, starting from the meseta. At times I have to eat with one hand constantly waving the flies off my food. Eating outside when there’s a breeze helps a lot. Some of the villages in Galicia have lots of cattle, which they walk down the street to/from the pastures, so it’s not surprising there are lots of flies in the restaurants/bars. Fresh manure = flies. But yeah, perhaps it’s just a city-folk sensitivity. I’m sure one gets used to them if you’re around them every day.

And again - this shouldn’t put people off. Most of the time here is spent walking, and flies were never an issue while walking, so don’t take my post too seriously. It’s just something that I wasn’t expecting so I’m mentioning it here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure if it’s different at different times of the year or not
I'm sure it is, and for different locations, too. Recently on the Lana, I recall two sections of walking (a few hours each) where flies were pesky. However, it was not something that I would normally remember as an issue. Walking on other routes including the Frances in spring and autumn, I honestly cannot remember any flies.

I also come from Vancouver. Conditions can happen at certain times of year, when a few mosquitos will show up - not enough that we bother to put screens on our windows, but they are annoying at the time. I would certainly never suggest that mosquitos or flies are a "problem" in the Vancouver area! Similarly, I hope people don't come away from reading this thread thinking that flies are a significant issue on the Camino!

I'm sure it is, and for different locations, too. Recently on the Lana, I recall two sections of walking (a few hours each) where flies were pesky. However, it was not something that I would normally remember as an issue. Walking on other routes including the Frances in spring and autumn, I honestly cannot remember any flies.

I also come from Vancouver. Conditions can happen at certain times of year, when a few mosquitos will show up - not enough that we bother to put screens on our windows, but they are annoying at the time. I would certainly never suggest that mosquitos or flies are a "problem" in the Vancouver area! Similarly, I hope people don't come away from reading this thread thinking that flies are a significant issue on the Camino!
Having spent most of my adult life in Vancouver, there’s simply no comparison to what I’ve seen the past 40 days. Not even remotely comparable. As you mention, we don’t have any screens on our windows, as they aren’t necessary. I don’t see many flies in central Vancouver, and even fewer mosquitoes. I can probably count on one hand the number of mosquito bites I’ve had in 30 years. There might be a few more in the suburbs where there’s more greenery. Here on the other hand, I’m currently watching about 50 flies circle around the restaurant. And this place isn’t as bad as some others. Two nights ago I had to continually wave my hand over my food to keep the flies off. No idea if the fly situation is worse this year than other years or other locations, but it is what it is. I made it clear on my previous posts that it’s not something one should be concerned about. Just making an observation about what I’m seeing on the ground as we speak. Happily I haven’t seen a single mosquito since arriving mid-May.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having spent most of my adult life in Vancouver, there’s simply no comparison to what I’ve seen the past 40 days. Not even remotely comparable. As you mention, we don’t have any screens on our windows, as they aren’t necessary. I don’t see many flies in central Vancouver, and even fewer mosquitoes. I can probably count on one hand the number of mosquito bites I’ve had in 30 years. There might be a few more in the suburbs where there’s more greenery. Here on the other hand, I’m currently watching about 50 flies circle around the restaurant. And this place isn’t as bad as some others. Two nights ago I had to continually wave my hand over my food to keep the flies off. No idea if the fly situation is worse this year than other years or other locations, but it is what it is. I made it clear on my previous posts that it’s not something one should be concerned about. Just making an observation about what I’m seeing on the ground as we speak. Happily I haven’t seen a single mosquito since arriving mid-May.
And in case there are any bugophobes out there, I haven’t encountered any other creepy crawlies either. Other than the flies it’s generally been a big-free experience here.

Interesting...there's another poster further along on the CF who also reports lots of flies. Plus one on a different route....

We might have to consider the option that, this year (due to a mild winter, perhaps?), there are more flies than we've experienced in the past.

For those living in Spain, have there been any reports/news-icles/complaints about flies in local media?

(shopping for a head net for September, just in case...)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well here at home pesky squirrels are a real problem. Digging up gardens and potted plants constantly. Never saw one single squirrel on my Camino walk this spring. I had flies as well towards the end of my walk while in cow country.

Nature doesn’t care and to get by these nuisances…we need to spend more time in nature…so we are less bothered by them.

Well here at home pesky squirrels are a real problem. Digging up gardens and potted plants constantly. Never saw one single squirrel on my Camino walk this spring. I had flies as well towards the end of my walk while in cow country.

Nature doesn’t care and to get by these nuisances…we need to spend more time in nature…so we are less bothered by them.
My favourite thing about nature in northern Spain is the complete lack of crows, which translates to lots and lots of song birds. I’m going to miss hearing the birds every day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked in the fall last year and was troubled by flies, but only while walking, not 'at rest' as @JustJack has been this year. Many times I wished I had brought along my hat net, or perhaps a few sachets of repellent to wipe around around my head and shoulders.

Our experiences are often so different from each other. I have always walked in Spain in mid April through most of May and have never encountered any annoying bugs, flies or mosquitos. I'm sure walking in early spring with mainly dry weather has helped.
I am actually surprised to read of all the annoying flying insects others are experiencing.
And as @Dani7 has mentioned, I too have always been surprised to see no squirrels, chipmunks or rabbits on my Caminos, as they seem to be everywhere in the US Midwest.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

One should be careful deciding what is a significant issue for others. I was gently admonished, in October, for suggesting, tongue in cheek that the house fly was the Spanish "national bird." The fact remains that for the month on the Camino Frances, I ate no meals in restaurants without using one hand to move flies away from my meal. On at least three occasions, I was advised not to open the windows in particular albergues as the room would be inundated with flies. Clearly, not an national emergency but a significant annoyance for sure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just a heads up for those about to walk their first Camino. There are lots and lots of flies. Definitely not in all places, but in many. And not noticeable while walking, just when you stop somewhere. Not a big deal of course, more of a minor nuisance. Perhaps I’m just spoiled, living in a non-fly city, but I was surprised at the number of flies in some places, including where I’m currently sitting writing this. If I lived in Spain I’d choose to live in one of the cities/towns without flies.
Come to outback Australia mate! 🤣 We'll show ya the best flies in the world!! 😉 Great source of protein. 👍🏻

Flies around farm animals are a given. I don't remember encountering any biting flies. Flies landing on my food are a different story as they can spread harmful bacteria. May be that the addition of screens on windows would solve the indoor fly issue.

Well in the summer and fall we have always fought the flies in the albergues in smaller farming communities as hospitaleros. I lived on a farm for 20 years and hate them and I know what they have been crawling on. Winter albergue assignments we did not see many flies.

And as @Dani7 has mentioned, I too have always been surprised to see no squirrels, chipmunks or rabbits on my Caminos, as they seem to be everywhere in the US Midwest.
I have seen rabbits and squirrels on the Camino Frances as recently as this January. If I saw chipmunks I would probably have my glasses prescription checked as they are mostly a North American family of species though there are some in Asia. Not native to Spain.

Good advice, actually. Random food flies are to be expected when communing with nature. However there was a forested section before reaching San Juan de Ortega where the face flies were really quite aggressive little buggers and a lightweight head net would have come in handy!

We had swarming flies only a couple of places across the meseta in July a couple of years ago. I was walking with my brother who wore white t-shirts exclusively. Those shirts were a fly super-magnet. As long as I stayed 6 ft behind, I could watch him swatting and cursing while I remained fly-free. Miles of free entertainment! My advice, choose your companion's wardrobe if possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I saw chipmunks I would probably have my glasses prescription checked as they are mostly a North American family of species though there are some in Asia. Not native to Spain.
When we lived in N.Y., I loved watching chipmunks in our garden.

But in Europe chipmunks are listed on the European Union's list of 100 most-invasive species. It may have an impact on the red squirrel through competition, so chipmunks are not really welcome throughout Europe.

Last edited:
@sugargypsy Thanks for your post. I did not realise that there was such a significant feral population of chipmunks in parts of Europe. Though apparently not yet in mainland Spain.

The image of his face when I asked why there wasn’t any Venison or Squirrel on the Cafe menu is one I will treasure for some time to come 😉
Bambi burgers and Tufty tartare. Served with a bottle of Brewdog's famous "The End of History" with a squirrel skin wrapper? Must be a market for that in such an upmarket neighborhood :)
brew-dog.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When staying in the countryside in Oz in summer we would need to keep our mouths closed & render the “Aussie salute” ie constantly wave the flies away”.

At R.S.P. B Pulborough today the warden was bemoaning the damage done by Deer and Squirrels. The image of his face when I asked why there wasn’t any Venison or Squirrel on the Cafe menu is one I will treasure for some time to come 😉
I have an excellent recipe for squirrel which comes of all places from my Beatrix Potter Cookbook with the picture of Squirrel Nutkin! As an Aussie, I substitute rabbit for the squirrel. It is delicious.

As an Aussie, my summer hat is always adorned with a fly veil. If you walk in outback Australia, the flies carry a great risk of infecting you with the dreadful eye disease, Trachoma which is still active in many rural Indigenous communities. Kids with runny eyes and snotty noses are showing some of the symptoms of Trachoma. The flies land on these secretions, pick up the infection and pass it on when they fly to the eyes of another person. Though this infection isn't a problem when walking in Europe, packing a fly veil is always a good solution to any fly problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't forget the Airoguard and havagòodweeged!

I live in a farming village on the Meseta. This time of year, if there's been rain recently, there are lots of flies. They come in waves -- things will be bad for a couple of days, then they die back. Another good rain will bring another wave of flies a couple of days later.
We just deal with it. Circle of Life and all that.
It's not exactly Stalingrad.

Where I live in summer we have myriads of mosquitos and other flying bugs that sting and bite ... and other creatures that do damage, such as squirrels, mice, ermines, bears, so maybe my perception is different from the city average, but all my caminos were in spring and I hardly saw any bugs of any kind ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was about to say, that in however many.......150 days or so on Camino ....... I have never really come across lots of flies. Maybe I just don't notice them (being an Aussie)

Then I just remembered!!

I have once........ :oops:

This last Camino, staying in Santa Marina on the Camino Fisterra.
But heck folks. The accommodation is on a working farm......

Though I did have to exchange my beer at one point, as I was sitting outside, and a fly with a death wish dive bombed into my beer! :rolleyes:

I prefer my beer without added protein.......

A deet infused hat works as well. That's what i tend to use, but I am also looking at a mosi net type affair.

But given the increase of Dengue Fever, Chikungunya, and West Nile, within Spain, is it not wise to use a full net when sleeping if walking certain paths from the South and possibly as far north as the meseta?

I read that the above three diseases have been found in parts of Spain and even mid France in areas that are normally too cool for the mosquitoes. West Nile caused 8 fatalities in Seville a couple of years back.

IMG-20220524-WA0012.jpg And what is wrong with a net on a Camino or Chemin, may I ask? This photo (May 2022 on the Chemin d'Arles) was taken by a fellow pelerine who was envious of my protection from the irritating black bugs buzzing everywhere. The net was also useful on the Meseta in 2018. Don't travel without one, I say!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All! My sister and just completed our Camino from Sarria to Santiago..We did encounter tons of flies in the cafeterías and restaurants. For those occasions, I would put a napkin over my glass while I ate
At night, I would put an insect repellant bracelet in the nightstand and problem solved.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, flies. Flies landing on my sweaty face. Flies and cow poop are like peas and carrots. Flies in the bars. They certainly helped curb my appetite! What bothered me most about flies on the Norte was watching how they torment the horses. I cursed the owners who can’t be bothered to fit the horses with facial guards. Near Deba on a 90 degree plus day, I watched a trio of horses standing head to hind quarters in order to fan with their tails the face of the others. Oh what we see when we travel at the human rate of speed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What does "just sayin" mean

Kind of an expression that means, I am not really complaining or telling you off, but maybe I really am. My husband always says instead that he is "just stating facts" and not really complaining although he really is...

Sounds like living in Australia 🇦🇺 😁 😂 Everyone thinks us Aussies are really friendly waving to everyone, when really we're just shooing flies away from our faces all the time, thwarting their attempts to fly up our noses and land in our eyes to drink our tears. 😂😄 Welcome to Stralya mate!! 🤣🤣🤣 You'll all be making friends in no time on the Camino with the new Camino Wave. 👋👋👋

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kind of an expression that means, I am not really complaining or telling you off, but maybe I really am. My husband always says instead that he is "just stating facts" and not really complaining although he really is...
Thanks.

So the person "sayin" this actually knows that they are full of guano whilst pretending that they are not. And presumably expecting others to accept that they are not?

Thanks.

So the person "sayin" this actually knows that they are full of guano whilst pretending that they are not. And presumably expecting others to accept that they are not?
Well it is usually meant to be joking and usually taken that way, too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What does "just sayin" mean
It's a passive-aggressive way of arguing, when someone wants to establish their superior knowledge, opinion, or whatever.
As in, "The Camino having flies is not the end of the world. Just 'sayin."

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back