• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kindle - Pilgrimage books available for the Kindle

Abijah

Caminos, Guides, Stories, Maps etc. available for the Kindle

Hi to you all.
I have listed below just some of the books available for the Kindle that may be of interest to anyone interested in Santiago de Compostela and Pilgimages there. These are in English, however there are many Spanish editions available and German too though I have not studied these.
Maybe someone else can list other language books that are relevent?

If anyone discovers other books please add them.
Thanks.

To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago De Compostela
by Kevin A. Codd (Kindle Edition - Apr. 30, 2008) - Kindle Book

The Pilgrims Guide to Santiago de Compostela
by William Melczer - Kindle Edition - Kindle eBook (Sept. 29, 2010)

My Camino
by Sue Kenney and Bruce Pirrie (Kindle Edition - Mar. 1, 2010) - Kindle eBook

The Year We Seized The Day
by Elizabeth Best & Colin Bowles [Kindle Edition]

Buen Camino-Hiking the Camino de Santiago
by Jim Clem and Eleanor Clem (Kindle Edition - Aug. 15, 2010) - Kindle eBook

Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago, Journeys Along an Ancient Way in Modern Spain
by Nancy Louise Frey - Kindle Edition - Kindle Book (Dec. 30, 1998)

Among the Pilgrims: Journeys to Santiago de Compostela
by Mary Victoria Wallis (Kindle Edition - July 6, 2006) - Kindle Book

El Camino De Santiago: Rites of Passage
by Wayne Chimenti (Kindle Edition - June 30, 2006) - Kindle Book

A Traveler's Highway to Heaven: Exploring the History and Culture of Northern Spain on El Camino de Santiago (History on the Hoof)
by William J. Bonville (Kindle Edition - Sept. 2, 2007) - Kindle eBook

Santiago Travel Guide
by Offbeat Guides (Kindle Edition - Sept. 13, 2010) - Kindle eBook

A Journey of Days: Relearning Life's Lessons on the Camino de Santiago
by Guy Thatcher (Kindle Edition - Sept. 3, 2010) - Kindle eBook

The Road Less Travelled - Camino Primitivo-
by Ralf Becker and S.T. Paterson (Kindle Edition - Apr. 13, 2010) - Kindle eBook

Sacred Travels: Recovering the Ancient Practice of Pilgrimage by Christian
George and Calvin Miller (Kindle Edition - Jan. 30, 2007) - Kindle Book

Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred
by Phil Cousineau (Kindle Edition - Oct. 31, 1998) - Kindle Book

The Inward Pilgrimage: An Introduction to Christian Spiritual Classics
by Bernhard Christensen (Kindle Edition - Dec. 31, 1995) - Kindle Book

Pilgrimages: The Great Adventure of the Middle Ages
by John Ure (Kindle Edition - Feb. 26, 2006) - Kindle Book

The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today
by Mr. N.T. Wright (Kindle Edition - Feb. 25, 1999) - Kindle Book

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And the beauty of the Kindle - (in addition to free internet access and up loading MP3's) is that if you have a guide book such as one of the CSJ On -Line Guides which are in Word format you can simply transfer them from your PC to your Kindle - hence no Guidebook to be carried either.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For those who cannot afford a Kindle but have a computer, you can download the free Kindle application at Amazon.com for your computer. Then you can purchase books to read at the Kindle price. There are many MANY free books available also!

I did it and I love it.

Good point Annie!

Also the Kindle software is available for the iphone and for Android phones so users of these devices can make use of the Kindle Stores wide selection of material.
Ideal for taking those books with you on your Camino without adding anymore weight. (assuming you are taking a mobile phone with you)
Personally i have a Nokia phone and the Kindle software is not available for Symbian phones :(
Found i nice little book reader for Symbian phones though called ZXReader now that Amazon has bought up MobiReader and is no longer developing it. (i wonder why? Nothing to do with the fact that it was a rival to Amazons own Kindle software surely?)
I mustn't be so sceptical lol.

God help up all see best in each other.

Chris

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We'd like to suggest two more books about pilgrimages around the world. Both are first-hand accounts by Brandon Wilson and now available on Kindle in English editions with photos and maps.

The first is Yak Butter Blues: A Tibetan Trek of Faith. A tenacious man, woman and their Tibetan horse challenge fate and the bounds of endurance on an "impossible" 1100-kilometer Himalayan pilgrimage from Lhasa, Tibet to Kathmandu. Secreted into homes of Tibetan farmers, they witness a culture pushed to the edge of extinction – and discover the human link connecting us all. 2005 Independent Publisher IPPY Award winner. A new Spanish Kindle edition is also available.

The second is Along the Templar Trail: Seven Million Steps for Peace. It was an idea born while hiking the famed Camino de Santiago across Spain. Two men shared a dream of trekking from France to Jerusalem on the ultimate pilgrimage. It was a path walked by thousands of Crusaders, pilgrims and merchants during the Middle Ages, a time when wars, unforgiving weather, wild dogs, and an ever changing cast of characters tested even the toughest traveler.

Two pilgrims discover, “The more things change, the more they stay the same,” when they hike the Templar Trail across 11 countries and 4200 kilometers to Jerusalem. Throwing themselves out into the universe with bad maps, blisters, war, but plenty of optimism, they search for life’s meaning and lasting peace. Named 2009 Best Travel Book by the Society of American Travel Writers.

Both are available from Amazon.com. For previews, visit http://www.pilgrimstales.com. :arrow:

'Pilgrimage to Heresy' by Tracy Saunders (Priscillian of this forum) is also available for Kindle.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi John,
Depends on what you like reading!!! The link to Tracy's blog page is here;-
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com/
It is NOT a guide book. However it does link a modern Camino 'love story' with the ancient history / legends of Priscillian the 'heretical' bishop of Avila. Having walked the Primitivo the one place where I connected with the book was on the walls of Lugo. I could imagine Priscillian walking there with his dog and looking out, over the river Miño down the ancient Roman road leading westwards to the sea.

You can download a sample to your Kindle before you buy, but currently the Kindle UK price is just ÂŁ2.14.

Enjoy
Terry

Thanks Terry - I was really just teasing. I saw Tracy recently in Santiago and her book is doing really well. In terms of reviews - on Amazon the vote is 5 - 1 in favour of it as a good read.

John, if you ask a question on the forum you are sure to get an answer. :lol:
Terry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the kind words! (JW: "you naughty man" :wink: )
Four of my books are on Kindle now including two Kindle "Shorts" of 25 pages: Celtic Influences in trhe North of Spain, and Priscillian the Cathars and Me are not strictly speaking "Pilgrimage" books, unless you count my pilgrimage to Knowledge. They are both, however, about Galicia and the "Pilgrim Route" both before and after the discovery of the tomb. Being and Paradox is my attempt to place humankind in a more reasonable and kindly place vis-a-vis Nature.
Peregrinos de la Herejia is about to become Kindleable too.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And yet another. I finally got around to putting Susan's Camino Chronicle on the Kindle.

Dear All,
On the kindle can I respectfully suggest "Santiago the Slow Way or The Ramblings of An Idiot" written by a deservedly little-known author with size 11 feet. As stated elsewhere this book is really useful if you have trouble sleeping in some of the more noisy dormitories along The Way!

Good luck and great walking, Andy Hill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Time to bump this thread, I think.

Today I entered Camino de Santiago into Amazon's Kindle store and got something like 513 hits. I was looking for a kindle book that popped up while shopping for something else that I then lost.

If I can buy a used paper book cheaply (like the many foodie books/memoirs I find for one
Cent (or something like that) plus $3.99 shipping), that's my preferred route.

Next time I'll start out looking in books. The few times I checked on the used paper prices they were almost the same as new. What gives? Is it because many are self-published? Or perhaps that devotees hang on to their copies and not that many used are for sale?

Also, many of them are only available in the kindle version.

I went through the list (didn't get to the end but perused for a long time) and decided to click on all books of interest with a max price of $3.99. I have to put them on the kindle wish list and then purchase via the desktop.

Apparently, there are 66 or so books (not all, but most are Camino related) in that wish list. With time I will read reviews.

Note to would-be Camino writers: not exactly a dime a dozen, but you have a LOT of competition. I'm a book whore :). Multiple "partners" and not very selective when it comes to the Camino. Love travel narratives and memoirs. But since I'm the one whose paying for this "service," I think by establishing a lower Kindle price you might end up making more money by volume.

If you are using a Kindle app on a smartphone, or taking a Kindle, then I highly recommend "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" By Davidson and Gitlitz. It is an encyclopaedia about the Camino Frances. Not a book to read, more to dip into as you come to towns, buildings, retablos - so that you can understand fully what you are seeing.

I had it for many years as a hardcover, but did not really get to use it properly until I had the Kindle version on a Kindle app on my smartphone. The hardcover is too heavy to carry, and it is not easy pulling something like that in and out of a pack. Whereas my smartphone is always in hand, so it is easy to quickly look at as I enter a town or building. Highly recommended.

If you are using a Kindle app on a smartphone, or taking a Kindle, then I highly recommend "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" By Davidson and Gitlitz. It is an encyclopaedia about the Camino Frances. Not a book to read, more to dip into as you come to towns, buildings, retablos - so that you can understand fully what you are seeing.

I had it for many years as a hardcover, but did not really get to use it properly until I had the Kindle version on a Kindle app on my smartphone. The hardcover is too heavy to carry, and it is not easy pulling something like that in and out of a pack. Whereas my smartphone is always in hand, so it is easy to quickly look at as I enter a town or building. Highly recommended.
Hi Jill - totally agree. I have this book as a hard copy and an e_book. This time I intend to actually use it!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back