• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language schools in Sevilla

SueH

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I am planning to do my first Camino next year, starting from Sevilla in March or April. Many, many years ago, I did a year of Spanish at university, so I thought I would do some more courses before I start. I was looking at the Babylon School. Has anyone tried this or have any experience with other courses? I am planning to do the courses approved by the Cervantes Instituto, so I can continue on when I return to Sydney.
Thanks for your help.
This is my first post. I have already gained so much information and I feel that I already have friends out there on the Way.
I am rather excited :D!

Sue

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are many Spanish language schools all over Spain. If you want to brush up on your Spanish before you start Sevilla is obviously one choice alternatively you could stay at a place near the coast such as Vejer http://www.lajanda.org/en/index.html which may be cheaper depending on the time of year.

Of course you may pick up an Andalician accent and reputedly the place to study the most correct Spanish is Salmanca which is on the VdlP.

Thanks for that, William;
What a great idea! I had not even thought of going to another town. The school, La Janda, looks very nice and close to the beach, too. I will widen my horizons and maybe even study in 2 different schools - give myself a break halfway through. :)

Sue

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I totally agree with William's remark about Salamanca.

Having walked the VdlP this year from Sevilla to Ourense (and will finish in October), the difference in the Spanish you hear is very evident. In Andalucia, and much of Extremadura, there is a very widespread missing "s". If the word starts with an "s", no problem, but if the "s" appears later in the word, then it can be a "guess the s" for a non-native speaker. eg depue = despues

But by Salamanca, the Spanish is much easier to understand. To paraphrase an English lady who had lived in Spain for five years teaching English, even the yobbest of the yobs in Salamanca speak better Spanish than the best educated Andalucian. Maybe an exaggeration, it did not seem too wide of the mark.

Enjoy yourself wherever you choose.
Mike

Salamanca is looking very interesting for some intensive learning, especially in view of your comments about the accent being easier to understand. I have found several schools there; do you have any reccommendations? (I am sure they are all good schools)

In my dreams, I can see me walking all over Spain, spending time here and there learning the language. Sounds like heaven (although very intimidating too)! I have been following the 'Fear' thread and am feeling inspired by all the kindness out there and by knowing that there are other people who start off just as scared and unsure as I am.

Sue

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
don't let yourself be put off by the rather negative comments about Andalucia. If you go on a course in Seville they'll larn yer the standard Castilian RAE Spanish, not Andalucian dialect. Similarly, if you go on a Spanish course in Santiago, they will not teach you Galician or the peculiar form of Galician Spanish called castrapo.

Personally, I like regional dialects, and enjoy hearing the language change as I move through a country, just as the landscape, flora, and underlying geology change, along with local customs. Part of the variety of travel.

Thanks for the information. I have finally decided to do two weeks study at a school in Sevilla. That way I get to explore the city before I head off; maybe even fitting in my study time with Santa Semana. I am sure that my Aussie/Canadian accent will outweigh any Andalusian accent I may pick up!

Sue

Hola

There are a number of good schools in Seville but they are quite expensive and teaching is done mostly in groups or in classes. I wanted an intensive experience and simply answered an ad in the local newspaper and found a wonderful teacher Rafael who at a fraciton of the cost gave me one on one lessons. Because it was more cost effective I could afford more.

Good luck

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to all of you;

I think I will try the Johnny Walker method and see what transpires when I arrive in Sevilla. I have allocated a week in Sevilla and then 8 weeks for walking with another 5 days at the end for 'just in case' or a visit with friends in London before I fly back to Sydney. That should give me lots of room to adapt to whatever happens lesson-wise.

Semana Santa in Sevilla-should be wonderful (once I find somewhere to stay-lots of places appear to be booked up already. I am sure I will eventually find something!)

Sue

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.